Horror in the 2010s

Ira Gaines

I'd agree tbh, but it took one of the classic horror tropes and just made a fairly basic evil kid movie. And it worked for me for two reasons. Firstly, it doesn't try to swerve or mislead. We know where it's going but the dread building on the way there is tremendous. Secondly, the kid puts on a hell of a performance. Something which many of these types of movie lack.

There's a good quality download of it so I might just watch it again. The second watch was very rewarding. 

Guest Moomintroll
I've taken to picking random films in the horror category on Netflix, Sky and Amazon Prime. A fair few have been binned early as total rubbish. This was ok though
5d02af1da3f3a_MV5BMTQxOTU1NjY0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM1MDMyOQ4040._V1_SY1000_CR02C02C7182C1000_AL_.thumb.jpg.04865efa5afbc27c61a848300185fb38.jpg
Since when was South Ayrshire in the Highlands?

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2019 at 22:11, Brummie Clyde said:

I thought 'It Follows' was brilliant. Could genuinely make you feel a bit jumpy and paranoid afterwards and had a very clever ending.

Still think the creepiest vampire film ever made is 'Nosferatu'.

Was just going to suggest "It Follows". Really smart film. Nosferatu is indeed creepy as f**k! It gets parodied so much I was surprised at just how dark it was. 

Loved Hereditary and Under the Skin too. The Wicker Man, The Omen (not the Nic Cage one) and The Shining probably my other favourite horrors. 

I used to like The Shining but I've almost ruined it for myself by reading the book; which is far scarier. Big fan of Kubrick's work though.
Going into that room certainly made me nervous, whilst reading the book. Not do much the Hedge creatures bit. Film was better with the bit where she sees what Jack has been writing I thought. As ever, the Book gives you more detail about the characters and also an insight into what they're thinking.

Will have to look up Hereditary and Under the Skin.

• 3 weeks later...