Horror in the 2010s

Ira Gaines

5 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Is this the best decade for horror? So many horror dedicated studios have popped up and are giving real quality movies. IFC Midnight and A24 are the main ones. This is a golden era.

Rubbish!

Nothing beats a good Hammer.

Is this the best decade for horror? So many horror dedicated studios have popped up and are giving real quality movies. IFC Midnight and A24 are the main ones. This is a golden era.

Yet to be convinced. Movies such as Alien, Halloween, The Shining, The Omen etc will take some beating for me. I don’t find a lot of time to watch horror films now as the missus doesn’t like them, but I can’t think of any that have jumped out at me (no pun intended) for a while. There may be a bunch that’ve sailed right by me though.

From the ‘modern’ (post 2000, modern-ish) era, I think the first Saw movie was the last time I was quite impressed by a horror. Also seems a lot of the modern horrors went through a phase of just being plain sick or graphic gore, as opposed to being actually terrifying.

Do like the genre in general though so feel free to post your best horror film recommendations and which platform to watch them.

22 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

1970s
Alien the exorcist the omen jaws dawn of the dead salems lot
Etc

The greatest horror movie ever made in my opinion, one of my top three films of all time as well.

Edited by Flybhoy

43 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Suspiria, Hereditary, Annihilation, The House That Jack Built, & Mandy  are the best recent horror movies I've seen that have left me scratching my head.

The Hole in the Ground is stunning. Takes a simple premise and just nails it perfectly.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The greatest horror movie ever made in my opinion, one of my top three films of all time as well.

Definitely in my top ten. Probably my favourite zombie film, it’s perfection. I bought the soundtrack last year.

Suspiria, Hereditary, Annihilation, The House That Jack Built, & Mandy  are the best recent horror movies I've seen that have left me scratching my head.

The Hole in the Ground is stunning. Takes a simple premise and just nails it perfectly.

Netflix or....?

Some of my favourites from this decade are Kill List, A Field in England, The Witch, The Babadook and Under the Skin (although I'm not sure if the final one counts). I like stuff that messes with my head but I don't know why it's doing that.

Last year's Suspiria almost fell into this list but was bogged down by looooaaaaads of stuff. The first half of Hereditary was better than almost everything I've seen recently, but while I still thought the second half was good, it didn't quite reach its own standards. 

As bad as some of their output is (and oh boy is it bad), Blumhouse deserve a wee bit of credit for giving money to up-and-comers to make a horror film and not bothering about losses as something else will come along and blow these losses into insignificance. Happy Death Day, Split, Get Out and Hush were all pretty good, and one of these will come along while it's easy to weed out the shite they release.