Next HFL Champions

Northboy

• 3 weeks later...

The big match this week sees Brora coming to Harlaw Park. Should be a big game for both teams - can Locos show they are potential challengers or will Brora confirm their status as title favourites? Buckie, Broch and Formatine look favourites to win their fixtures so I expect Saturday night's league table to be tight at the top. It's shaping up to be a great season.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Locos haven’t been potential challengers in long enough. All top hat and no drawers, that lot.

Even as a Locos supporter I tend to agree, they've been just off the pace for several years now. Still, a win this weekend against one of the title favourites would leave them well placed (for the moment at least and I know the season has barely started).

• 4 weeks later...

Will probably head up to the Broch tomorrow for the game of the day - 2nd v 4th. No doubt them pished lads from Inverurie with the drum will be in attendance. Best place for a pre-match pint, anyone?

16 hours ago, resk said:

Will probably head up to the Broch tomorrow for the game of the day - 2nd v 4th. No doubt them pished lads from Inverurie with the drum will be in attendance. Best place for a pre-match pint, anyone?

Cheers Bar down an alley just off the main square if you want a big covered beer garden and football on the telly. Decent looking food too.

There was a truncated fixture list in the league yesterday with the rain defeating the pitches at Brora, Fort William, the Broch and Turra. However, there were some eye-catching results - Wick came away from Inverurie with three points thanks to a second half penalty, while the Can-Cans prevailed by the odd goal in nine (yas!) at home to Lossiemouth.

Elsewhere, a brace for the Maroons' main man Cammy Keith made the difference in Banff. In the League Cup preliminary round, Strathspey Thistle put four past struggling Clach, and will host Forres in the next round.

8 hours ago, resk said:

There was a truncated fixture list in the league yesterday with the rain defeating the pitches at Brora, Fort William, the Broch and Turra. However, there were some eye-catching results - Wick came away from Inverurie with three points thanks to a second half penalty, while the Can-Cans prevailed by the odd goal in nine (yas!) at home to Lossiemouth.

Elsewhere, a brace for the Maroons' main man Cammy Keith made the difference in Banff. In the League Cup preliminary round, Strathspey Thistle put four past struggling Clach after conceding a goal and being bossed around for most of the first half, and will host Forres in the next round.

FTFY in case anyone got the wrong impression. :)

• 1 month later...

We're roughly 1/2 way through the season and Brora are doing enough to keep them ahead. Locos and Fraserburgh look to be the best of the chasing pack but I suspect inconsistency (particularly in the case of Locos) could be their downfall. Formartine look to be well out of it now. I still expect Brora to be champions come the end of the season.

At the other end of the table Fort William, despite all the attention, haven't improved their position and Turriff are in complete free fall. I couldn't make Locos v Turriff this past weekend (working) but by all accounts Turriff were abysmal.

16 minutes ago, Northboy said:

We're roughly 1/2 way through the season and Brora are doing enough to keep them ahead. Locos and Fraserburgh look to be the best of the chasing pack but I suspect inconsistency (particularly in the case of Locos) could be their downfall. Formartine look to be well out of it now. I still expect Brora to be champions come the end of the season.

At the other end of the table Fort William, despite all the attention, haven't improved their position and Turriff are in complete free fall. I couldn't make Locos v Turriff this past weekend (working) but by all accounts Turriff were abysmal.

Still think Buckie have a chance if Brora falter a bit. If they win their games in hand they'll only be 2 points behind.

Edited by welshbairn

Turriff were - in the first half at least - as chaotic as anything I saw from Lossie in the opening weeks of last season when the players were still learning each others name and the managers were working out who was going to be bad cop and badder cop. Turriff don't really have any of those excuses. An alarming decline from them.

Fort were better but miss a senior pro in the side. They play like a womens team. 

• 5 weeks later...

Only 2 games into 2020 and whatever optimism us Locos fans had has disappeared with the results against Nairn and Huntly. Hell, we'd be level on points with Brora if we'd won that 2 albeit having played more games. The perennial Locos problem of being able to beat anyone but still lose to or draw with anyone continues.

Brora have built up a little buffer and any prospective challengers need to be winning their games in hand just to get within touching distance.

Locos fans seemed to think they were Erchie when Lossie were beaten in December, even tho they were told beforehand that 8 would be a par score against that side.

Another wasted season for Locos. Not going to be able to wring a whole lot more out of Neil McLean, and they’re still too heavily reliant on Neil Gauld.

Brora should be out of sight in a few weeks.