Next HFL Champions

Northboy

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Wonder if they’ll skoosh the league then suddenly struggle in the promotion play offs again.

Got the impression their views on promotion had changed.

Would expect Brora, Formartine and maybe Fraserburgh to be the ones challenging for the title this year.

5 minutes ago, Jute said:

Would expect Brora, Formartine and maybe Fraserburgh to be the ones challenging for the title this year.

Having finished second last season and with their financial backing Brora start as my favourites. Formartine have promised much since they joined the HFL but to date they haven't delivered but if they can hit consistent form they should be a strong challenger. Fraserburgh looked strong  last season (only team to beat Cove in league) and if they can cut out the occasional poor result I think they could go close too.

Outwith these 3 I don't see anyone else. It would be great to see Locos putting in a challenge - on our day we can match anyone but consistency is always our problem.

I'd go for Brora too but teams can change a lot in the summer. Remember hearing a lot about how well Buckie Thistle were doing preseason a couple of years ago, and thought about putting an outright bet on at 50/1. I didn't and they went on to win it (just). 

Fraserburgh are too inconsistent for me. The kind of side that batter the league leaders and then stumble away to someone like Nairn or Keith. They've always been there or thereabouts but never show enough mettle to really go for a title.

Brora have a good first choice squad but there isn't a lot of depth there; a few bad injuries could do for them. They were unlucky last season.

Formartine, Locos- meh. Big oil clubs with no fans really. Hard to see what they'd bring to the table in the event of promotion.

30 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Fraserburgh are too inconsistent for me. The kind of side that batter the league leaders and then stumble away to someone like Nairn or Keith. They've always been there or thereabouts but never show enough mettle to really go for a title.

Agreed, the Broch can beat anyone on their day but they have too many odd results (they tend to drop points against Locos too). I have them down as an outside chance but probably too inconsistent to really challenge.

37 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Formartine, Locos- meh. Big oil clubs with no fans really. Hard to see what they'd bring to the table in the event of promotion.

You can apply the 'big oil club' tag to Formartine 'Rollstud' United but Locos have a wide range of corporate and community sponsors. In terms of fans Locos typically have 300 at home games which would be boosted by promotion although I don't expect that to happen.

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

Agreed, the Broch can beat anyone on their day but they have too many odd results (they tend to drop points against Locos too). I have them down as an outside chance but probably too inconsistent to really challenge.

Wick are wildly inconsistent as well, at a lower level. Wonder if they both have a big proportion of offshore workers? 

On 10/06/2019 at 12:22, Jute said:

that's you gone and upset the hundreds of thousands of buckie fans

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 06:16, highlandcowden said:

that's you gone and upset the hundreds of thousands of buckie fans

Although Buckie won the HFL only 3 years ago they've finished 7th and 8th in the past 2 seasons. They'd need to have a step up before next season of they were to seriously challenge.

On 14/06/2019 at 09:14, Northboy said:

Although Buckie won the HFL only 3 years ago they've finished 7th and 8th in the past 2 seasons. They'd need to have a step up before next season of they were to seriously challenge.

Come on now, even I could hear the irony in his comment from here. Well, it made me chuckle either way :lol:

The Broch won the most games they’ve ever won in a season, scored the most goals and earned the most points ever last season, and still came nowhere near the title. Repeating that will be a stretch; hell, coming close to it will be hard. They might win it by default if Brora lose a few boys and Formartine have their usual brain fart in August, tho.

A good few of the players Cove signed in recent times were players that would either never have ended up at other SHFL sides due to location - Paul McManus, Martin Scott, etc. - or guys who would never have considered other sides in the league. Megginson would have been wasted at Formartine or similar. The Broch’s unofficial all-local policy means none would end up at Bellslea.