Wimbledon and the grass court season

lichtie23

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Poking a wasp’s nest with a stick springs to mind.......

They used to say when you play the All Blacks, don't let them score first because they will just blow you away. You also don't want to score first because that will just annoy them...

2 hours ago, Loki said:

His win over Cilic last year was probably a bigger shock.

Latin players don’t have to travel to make enough money to earn a living. Lots of them will play all the challengers in South America as they can’t get sponsors, or they don’t get a break through at a Slam.

Why spend all that money to travel the globe playing qualifiers when there is no money in it? Theres lots of exceptionally talented players between 100-200 struggling to make money. The fact that they can reach the quarter finals of a Slam before shouldn’t really be that much of a surprise.

Indeed, there are a few further down as well that are capable of beating a fair chunk of the top 100 on their day, a lot of them lack the consistency not the ability.

22 hours ago, throbber said:

The question that was posed to Konta was fair enough, if you make that many unforced errors and completely capitulate you need to look at your own performance rather than just say your opponent was very good. She was clearly just venting her frustrations at the people asking her the honest questions. I'm not a massive fan of hers.

f**k, we actually agree on something!

6 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

None of those descriptions fit Guido Pella, Pablo Cuevas, Cecchinato, Lorenzi, Seppi, Ramos-Vinolas to be perfectly honest. Players who have been utter jobbers with under the 50% win rate until a miraculous up-turn in their late 20s/30s has seen them soar into the the top 32.

Making a move from top 100 to a seeded position at a Slam is  only a couple of victories in the right tournament.  If Bernie Tomic can make the top twenty anyone can.

How’s the Scottish wheelchair player doing? Not heard much about him
He hasn't played yet, he is drawn to play the Japanese number 1 seed in the singles, and he and partner Alfie Hewett should play their doubles tie at some point today.

The last two years at Wimbledon because of the hot dry weather they have been playing like clay courts.  They aren't as fast as they used to be.    I think that has helped a lot of people that traditionally play on clay.   Similarly it has hindered big servers like Anderson and Roanic.  Pella has an effective clay court game, using the same tactics on grass has worked the last couple of years.

Has Pella really shocked anyone in that time you have listed?  A win over Cilic on grass and clay.  A win over Schwarzman but he has a 5-1 H2H record against him, so it isn't that much of a surprise.  He did well in the South American swing this year but no real top players played the full swing this year.  His consistency has certainly improved.

Seppi has always managed some capable wins on his day beating Roger at the Australian and just about beating Novak at the French Open.  Ramos-Vinolas got an injured Murray in 17 and made the best of it taking over the number one seeded status to make the final of the Masters.  Although I have no doubt that certain teams will look to take advantage, I am not convinced that someone having a good year as a one off would be down to just drug use.

Edited by Loki

Anyway today's semis should be interesting.  It will be good to see if Strycova can continue to give Serena balls with a lot of top spin in to her body, for Strycova to win she willed need to have a good days returning.  I don't feel Strycova got the credit she deserved for dismantling Konta.  The press labelled her pretty much as a nobody and an unseeded player that should be swatted by Konta.    She can be the number one doubles player come Sunday.  I think Serena will be too strong, but if she can make it a bit tight she may pull off a shock.  I think Serena thinks about equalling Margaret Court's record a bit too much, so that can add extra pressure on to her.

Svitolina knows how to play Halep and leads their head to head 4-2.  Although they have never played on grass, they are both similar kinds of players, but Halep does everything a little bit better, although I think Svitolina has more variety in her game.  If Svitolina is to win she will need to come forward and look to finish any short balls.

Tomorrow's semi finals - Nadal is the favourite against Federer on grass.  Wow.  Nadal has been greatly helped by the grass this past two years.  But I would never take Nadal over Federer on grass.  Nadal has won one of the last six matches against Federer and that was on clay.  Bautista-Agut has beaten Novak on the last three times they have played not on clay.  That second match could be interesting for a wee while.  Novak will decimate him by the end of the fourth set maximum.

After 20 minutes Halep lead 2-0 after 32 points of play. Four points later and it’s back on serve.

This could be a very long match irrespective of the score. Good tennis thus far.

Halep reels off four games in succession in slightly more time than the first two games of the set to take it 6-1.

Svitolina not coming off her baseline and Halep doing everything a little bit better than her.

A tighter set than the scoreline suggests though.

Ah well.......WTF do I know ? [emoji56]
Glad that Halep won, she looks to be in great form and has a great chance in the final.

To be fair to you it was far closer than the score suggests. Lots of games going to deuce. Looks fairly comfortable but it wasn’t. Halep took it on her fourth or fifth match point.