Wimbledon and the grass court season

lichtie23

You can't just look at unforced errors and think she should do better.  An unforced error and a forced error is a matter of opinion.  Some tournaments have an unforced error as any time you hit the net or go wide, and that doesn't account for the range in your opponents shots.  On grass it is extremely difficult to get the ball high enough from a heavy top spin ball with out pulling the angle wide.  If you give Joanna flat balls like Stephens and Kvitova do she will lace winners from her forehand and backhand.  Strycova wlll be able to do that to Serena as well, but Serena has multiple ways to win points.  Joanna doesn't.

Generally when it comes to the latter stages of the grand slams in the Women's game, their tends to be streaky players that have never made it that far before and they tend to be playing their best tennis of their career.  If Konta plays someone like that she is going to lose.

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I disagree.

First of all, bottling it and lacking fight are two completely different things.

Murray never looked like he lacked fight, but could be accused of bottling it early in his career. Most of the time it looked he couldn't cope with the higher standard over a five set match.

Yesterday Konta was beating herself. She needed to dig in and fight - rather than just make another unforced error.

She has a very effective style of play, which is based on a big serve and some big winners. When that's not quite on she needs to develop some fight and scrap it out.

The lad kyrgios often lacks fight, and is either sublime or ridiculous (but but against Nadal the other night).

But 'fight' in the sense you are using it is a completely meaningless word. What do you mean by it? And how would you know if she was fighting? You imply her making an unforced error equals lacking fight, which makes no sense whatsoever.

She is obviously trying her best, therefore I don't get what else she is meant to do in that regard. You are mistaking being outplayed for being outfought, which is exactly what I was talking about in the last post.

Question for the rules experts........with regard to players challenging line calls, I’ve seen a few occasions where a player will first look to the umpire for a steer as to whether it’s worth challenging before actually raising their hand. Surely this is completely against the spirit of the challenge system ? Plus, I don’t understand why umpires entertain this assistance.
Hope someone can enlighten me.......or am I just a thicko ? [emoji14]

There was a cracker in a doubles game yesterday. Player serves, return comes flashing past them for a winner. The server then challenged the call on his own serve, which turned out to be out, and got to play the point again.

I'm always very sceptical of these journeyman who have been utter shite their entire career then suddenly boost right up the rankings into the top 32 one season in their late 20s. They always seem to be of a Latin heritage. Very strange.

His win over Cilic last year was probably a bigger shock.

Latin players don’t have to travel to make enough money to earn a living. Lots of them will play all the challengers in South America as they can’t get sponsors, or they don’t get a break through at a Slam.

Why spend all that money to travel the globe playing qualifiers when there is no money in it? Theres lots of exceptionally talented players between 100-200 struggling to make money. The fact that they can reach the quarter finals of a Slam before shouldn’t really be that much of a surprise.

Just now, meanmistermustard said:

Murray and Williams out and take the sycophantic pish from Sue Barker with them.
With Konta dumped out and the English Womans team having their obligatory love-in, Wimbledon becomes a far more pleasant watch.

Just the cricket and Netball World Cups left to ruin the English summer.