Wimbledon and the grass court season

lichtie23

47 minutes ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

Hope he's not too knackered to give that girlfriend of his a good seeing to tonight. He deserves it.  And she's like a young Penelope Cruz.

She won't let him have a shower first imo.

I know this is very premature given that he doesn't have a partner in the mixed yet, but given his love of tennis history and trivia, it might be something he does in later years if not this year: Has any male player in the open era won all there titles at Wimbledon or any of the Grand Slams? Obviously there are a few female players like Navratilova who have hoovered up title after title, but it's not something I can remember a male ever having a go at given the energy needed to play in the singles.

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I know this is very premature given that he doesn't have a partner in the mixed yet, but given his love of tennis history and trivia, it might be something he does in later years if not this year: Has any male player in the open era won all there titles at Wimbledon or any of the Grand Slams? Obviously there are a few female players like Navratilova who have hoovered up title after title, but it's not something I can remember a male ever having a go at given the energy needed to play in the singles.

John McEnroe won 5 normal doubles titles at Wimbledon, 4 US Open doubles titles and won the mixed doubles at the French Open. Not sure if that addresses your question because it was confusingly phrased.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Hasn't been done by a male competitor at a grand slam since 1960. Here are the male Triple Crown winners:

image.png.2131e9b4f36d464cf1b4f61a46f594c2.png

Despite Martina Navratilova hoovering up titles, she only has one Triple Crown.

John McEnroe won 5 normal doubles titles at Wimbledon, 4 US Open doubles titles and won the mixed doubles at the French Open. Not sure if that addresses your question because it was confusingly phrased.
Thought he'd be a contender, but also see below.
I believe what he meant is has a male player completed the treble at Wimbledon only of men's singles, men's doubles & mixed doubles titles.
Indeed.
Hasn't been done by a male competitor at a grand slam since 1960. Here are the male Triple Crown winners:
image.png.2131e9b4f36d464cf1b4f61a46f594c2.png
Despite Martina Navratilova hoovering up titles, she only has one Triple Crown.
Yeah, sorry meant all three at one slam (Wimbledon singles, Doubles, Mixed for example) although not necessarily all in the same year (didn't expect that to be possible in the open era; I'm surprised the last one was as late as the 60s). So Murray has 2 singles titles, and he could pick up both doubles this year. If he say won the Men's doubles this year, I wonder if he'd have a crack at the mixed in a few years or if he wasn't competitive in the singles any longer.

Andy Murray, even speaking objectively, is Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson.  Anyone thinking otherwise needs lobotomised immediately.

Further to my own query, I can't see any who have won all three at Wimbledon in the Open Era. Ilie Năstase came closest, winning the Men's Doubles in 1973, the Mixed in 1970 and 1972 and making the final of the Men's Singles in 1972 and 1976. Tony Roche did the same, winning 5 Doubles and a Mixed title as well as making the Singles final in 1968, the first of the Open Era. In the Women's, Martina Hingis became the most recent winner of all three when she won the mixed in 2015 with Leander Peaes having won the Singles in 1997 and the Doubles in 1998 (when she won all 4 Slam Women's Doubles events). I haven't looked at the other Slams but given the Doubles seems more important at Wimbledon than the others, I'm going to guess that no male player has ever won all three tournaments in their career at the same Slam in the Open era.

Looks like we could get a Murray brothers match up in Wimbledon. Scheduled to meet in the third round.

Nadal Vs Kyrgios in the second round potentially. Nadal after his greeting about the seedlings will be papped out way before the semi finals.

Why the f**k can Americans not pronounce Djokovic right? Do they do it on purpose? I mean, he's only been playing on the tour for 12 years now...

All BBC commentators say it wrong. The first sound of the surname should be Joke not Jock.