NFL in the US

Calvin Johnson

Heading home today... what a trip!

Broncos game was just amazing, 100x better than the Wembley game. From the outside tailgate to the atmosphere in side, can’t beat being with your own fans. Can’t help myself shouting in - comp - lete after plays now.

Longhorns - different type of game completely. Those folks are crazy! One of our works suppliers got me into their private tailgate and there was a full concert going on in the park next to us. Game was good but if it wasn’t for the punt returner being stupid it would have been a blow out.

All in all it’s been an amazing trip and I can’t wait to come back for more. Sitting at midnight on my couch alone just won’t cut it anymore!

I've always wondered, how do the home fans react to having opposition fans in the stands with them?  Especially in a close game like last night, can imagine tempers get a bit frayed.

Did you get battered, is basically what I'm asking.

42 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've always wondered, how do the home fans react to having opposition fans in the stands with them?  Especially in a close game like last night, can imagine tempers get a bit frayed.

There were loads of Lions fans at the game, a few sat around me. Zero trouble and good natured humour all round.

One guy did jokingly threaten to throw me off the stadium mind you...

52 minutes ago, Calvin Johnson said:

There were loads of Lions fans at the game, a few sat around me. Zero trouble and good natured humour all round.

One guy did jokingly threaten to throw me off the stadium mind you...

I’ve been to three games in the USA with a lot of ‘away’ fans - Redskins v Cowboys at FedEx, Broncos v Evil Empire at Mile High, and Jets v Evil Empire at MetLife. In Washington and New York, that also involved train journeys with lots of fans of both teams mixing. Zero trouble. Denver is great because you can walk from downtown to the stadium - zero trouble. The worst it ever got was some Pats’ fans at MetLife getting a bit gobby after a few shandies. As someone who travels to the USA two or three times a year, and has done so since 1997, I still cannot figure it out. In the USA, you get groups of guys in bars or restaurants, or at an airport, and it’s not a problem. Their language is normal, the success of their night out isn’t measured in how much alcohol they can throw down their throat. Get a group of Brit’ lads in a boozer and every second word will be ‘fcuk’ or ‘cnut’, and as for a mixed crowd at a soccer game? Forget it. Brits at an airport heading on holiday will be necking bevvy at 6am in a Wetherspoons and being obnoxious. (Not everyone, obviously, but it happens a lot).

Yet, our American cousins are prone to murdering each other with sub-machine guns.

Don’t think I’ll ever figure it out.

Edited by pozbaird

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Seems like a lot of Bears fan there based on what I can see in the TV coverage? 

Very close to a 50/50 split. Pretty disappointed in the Redskins turn out, lucky if the stadium was half full.

We managed to move seats pretty easily...

20190923_224353.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2019 at 16:25, ICTChris said:

There were no fights at the Raiders-Browns game and nobody in our section seemed to bother about there being some Cleveland fans nearby - apparently it’s a different in the Black Hole section, though.

There was a wee bit of bother at the Dodgers-Giants baseball in San Francisco, though. The Dodgers fans had taken over the place and seemed to be generally loud and obnoxious, leading to a few arguments and a couple of push & shove scenarios. Didn’t see any real fights, but I’m sure there would have been somewhere.

Away fans being in with home fans is one of the things I don’t like about American sports, though. Much better seeing a pocket of away fans going wild like we get over here, than random folk scattered everywhere. I get that it doesn’t really work over there because so many tickets sold to NFL games are re-sales by season ticker holders, but it just doesn’t look/sound as good.

The Superdome was littered with Dallas fans. So much so I'd reckon a good 10% of the crowd in the stadium were visitors, and there were thousands littering the city all weekend. All very friendly before and after, with Dallas types hanging around all evening and into Monday when a few showed up on a swamp tour we were on.

IMG_1898.JPG

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

I'm the opposite.  Too many Redskins fans.  Disappointing.

It actually looks fuller from that angle than it actually was. Our original seats were up high and looking down there were thousands of empty seats.