NFL in the US

Calvin Johnson

10 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

How easy was it to get tickets for a Giants game at the MetLife? Having a look and the only outlets seem to be Ticketmaster etc. Is that the only method of buying them or is there a way of buying direct, for example?

That is buying direct, I think they have a partnership with most nfl teams. Theres also a nfl ticket exchange which is fan-to-fan. If you're a gambler you can wait until closer to the game and quite often the prices come right down depending on who the opponent is and how well the home team are playing. 

Check when they officially go on sale. For the broncos it’s this Tuesday the single game tickets are released.

No idea if the giants do it but I had to register with the bronco’s Ticketmaster site to get a link to half price tickets.

Thanks guys, think I might snap them up now as it would be a once in a lifetime kind of thing so not overly fussed with paying a little extra.

That said I’d gamble on the Giants being shite again this season so might hold off and pick up one of the many empty seats!

3 hours ago, CountyFan said:

That is buying direct, I think they have a partnership with most nfl teams. Theres also a nfl ticket exchange which is fan-to-fan. If you're a gambler you can wait until closer to the game and quite often the prices come right down depending on who the opponent is and how well the home team are playing. 

Few folk have said the same thing about gambling on the tickets coming down in price nearer the game, unfortunately for me I go week 3 so I cant really see them coming down too much. I think I was around $60 for the Redskins and $120 for the Eagles.

1 hour ago, Calvin Johnson said:

Few folk have said the same thing about gambling on the tickets coming down in price nearer the game, unfortunately for me I go week 3 so I cant really see them coming down too much. I think I was around $60 for the Redskins and $120 for the Eagles.

I bought tickets for rams/raiders the day before and pats/Texans on the day. The rams price came down quite a lot, the Pats didn't but it wasnt any dearer than getting them ahead of time. They're all e-tickets that get sent to your phone in the states so it's fine to get them right up till the day of the game if you're savvy.

ETA the rams game was week 1 and the pats game  was week 2 IIRC 

Edited by CountyFan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035844/article/alex-smith-sheds-external-fixator-after-8-months

Hope this doesn’t sound bad, but I hope he never plays again. I would be watching every snap he took from behind the sofa. If they are talking about that fixator thing actually saving the bloke’s leg and allowing him to even walk again - Christ sake mate, get healthy and get into media work, or something. 

22 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Got my ticket for $70. Along the side of the park but high up!

When I went to the Broncos v Patriots game, our seats were about 40 yard line, but high up in the top tier. The view was great, as was the atmosphere. If you have vertigo though... the stands are steep!

6 hours ago, steelmen said:

Supposed to be my view...

IMG_9994.jpg

See the bloke in the grey baseball cap near the green-jacketed steward? That was our seat area for the Broncos v Patriots. When actually there, the views are great, vertigo inducing, but great. Go early and soak up the atmosphere. Go Broncos!

4 hours ago, steelmen said:

My flight gets in at 8am and kick off is 2:15 so I will have plenty time. Just want the season to hurry up and come now!

One of the best stadiums I’ve ever been in. Steeply banked stands, great atmosphere, good catering and bars, nicely done outside with the bronco sculptures and, unlike many, walkable from downtown. Can’t wait to go back. Will post a few of my photos when I get a chance.

Edited by pozbaird

That will be a great view to watch the game. As a Raiders fan I obviously don’t like the Broncos, but the stadium looks incredible and I’m sure you’ll love the atmosphere as well.

I went to Raiders v Browns in Oakland last year, and it was brilliant. A far, far better experience than the Wembley games, with a proper atmosphere and fans that actually know what is happening & what to cheer for. Would never go back to an international series game as they just seem so plastic and false once you’ve done the real thing. The tailgate was something else - two massive car parks full of people having barbecues and drinking.

Our seats at the Coliseum were in the bottom tier just along from the halfway line. A decent view but it’s not a very steep stand so not the best depth perception for stuff at the other side of the field.

(and yeah, the guy in front of us was wearing a thick Browns beanie hat and massive hoodie in 30 degree weather)

F957A18B-CBE7-437A-8260-FCAFCD311C52.jpeg

69BC80F0-FB2B-4871-ADED-39BE3B2F3401.jpeg

Edited by Nightmare

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

That will be a great view to watch the game. As a Raiders fan I obviously don’t like the Broncos, but the stadium looks incredible and I’m sure you’ll love the atmosphere as well.

I went to Raiders v Browns in Oakland last year, and it was brilliant. A far, far better experience than the Wembley games, with a proper atmosphere and fans that actually know what is happening & what to cheer for. Would never go back to an international series game as they just seem so plastic and false once you’ve done the real thing. The tailgate was something else - two massive car parks full of people having barbecues and drinking.

Our seats at the Coliseum were in the bottom tier just along from the halfway line. A decent view but it’s not a very steep stand so not the best depth perception for stuff at the other side of the field.

(and yeah, the guy in front of us was wearing a thick Browns beanie hat and massive hoodie in 30 degree weather)

F957A18B-CBE7-437A-8260-FCAFCD311C52.jpeg

69BC80F0-FB2B-4871-ADED-39BE3B2F3401.jpeg

My wife and I are planning a trip to Vegas for the Raiders v Broncos in the new Raiders midden there.... going to be some ‘away day’ that one. Can’t wait. 😀

Having been to three games across the pond, yes, the majority of fans there are 100% into the game because they actively support one of the two participants, but that doesn’t stop me thoroughly enjoying Wembley weekends. Sometimes I think we become a bit ‘needy’ about them. Sometimes I think we need to step back and remember we are getting multiple games on our shores. Real, proper, competitive NFL, an hour away from Scotland. Yeah, naturally, the fanbase in the stadium aren’t hardcore diehards, but, you know, can’t have everything!

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Vegas for the Raiders v Broncos in the new Raiders midden there.... going to be some ‘away day’ that one. Can’t wait. 😀

My biggest problem with the whole Vegas move is this very reason. Everyone is going to want to have an ‘away day’ there, and the Raiders home advantage (which is very strong in Oakland) will be badly affected. There will still be plenty of Raiders fans due to Vegas’s proximity to LA, but I’m guessing plenty of games won’t feel like home games.

Of course, I don’t blame you or anyone else wanting to do this. Vegas is a great visit; so much to do, easy and cheap to get to, and the new stadium will be up there with Jerryworld for the best in the league. I’ll be heading over as well at some point, but at least I’ll be doing it as a home fan... 😆

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Having been to three games across the pond, yes, the majority of fans there are 100% into the game because they actively support one of the two participants, but that doesn’t stop me thoroughly enjoying Wembley weekends. Sometimes I think we become a bit ‘needy’ about them. Sometimes I think we need to step back and remember we are getting multiple games on our shores. Real, proper, competitive NFL, an hour away from Scotland. Yeah, naturally, the fanbase in the stadium aren’t hardcore diehards, but, you know, can’t have everything!

There’s too much exposure now, which is diluting the whole experience. When there was only one game a year, you’d get more “real” fans because it was such a novel experience, and the atmosphere would be better as a result. Now that there’s multiple games a year, the proper NFL fans are far more likely to just go and see their own teams’ games and it means far more tickets are going to daytrippers who don’t have a clue what’s going on, and just want to get pished and act like idiots instead.

I get it. It’s a cash cow for the NFL, which like TNF, will continue despite the players and the real fans not really wanting it.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

My biggest problem with the whole Vegas move is this very reason. Everyone is going to want to have an ‘away day’ there, and the Raiders home advantage (which is very strong in Oakland) will be badly affected. There will still be plenty of Raiders fans due to Vegas’s proximity to LA, but I’m guessing plenty of games won’t feel like home games.

Of course, I don’t blame you or anyone else wanting to do this. Vegas is a great visit; so much to do, easy and cheap to get to, and the new stadium will be up there with Jerryworld for the best in the league. I’ll be heading over as well at some point, but at least I’ll be doing it as a home fan... 😆

There’s too much exposure now, which is diluting the whole experience. When there was only one game a year, you’d get more “real” fans because it was such a novel experience, and the atmosphere would be better as a result. Now that there’s multiple games a year, the proper NFL fans are far more likely to just go and see their own teams’ games and it means far more tickets are going to daytrippers who don’t have a clue what’s going on, and just want to get pished and act like idiots instead.

I get it. It’s a cash cow for the NFL, which like TNF, will continue despite the players and the real fans not really wanting it.

The Vegas thing won’t be unique though. Last game I went to in the States was the Jets v Pats at Metlife. It was easily a 50/50 crowd split, was like a home game for the Patriots at times. What you are finding these days is that all the ‘real fans’ have had season tickets for years, but as they are so expensive now, to pay for them, they put them up for sale on Fan Exchange for the most popular, and therefore premium price, games. That’s how we bought our two seats for the game. Did it through Fan Exchange well in advance.... as did thousand upon thousand of Pats fans too.

So much for home advantage, the Jets fans selling their season ticket seats for the ‘glamour’ Pats game put paid to that. Regular chants of ‘Brady! Brady!’ rang around the whole place. We figured that the flights, hotel, and associated expense of a trip to NYC was substantial anyway, so rather than try for a cheaper individual ticket, get good seats guaranteed in advance, so we did. Same as we did for the Broncos v Patriots at Mile High. There was a good presence of Pats fans at that game too, but with the proximity of NY to Boston, and the divisional rivalry, not anything like the fan split at Metlife.

Years ago, ‘away’ fans at NFL games were hardly visible. These days, certain places like Green Bay and Seattle will still be overwhelmingly home crowds, perhaps Pittsburgh and Buffalo too, but just about everywhere else? 

I take your point about Wembley crowds attracting an element who are just there for a day out and a bevvy, but still, they sell about 50,000 season tickets every year too, so they must be real fans. Clearly though, could be fans of any of the 32 teams, so unlike games in America where the fans will be invested in the two competing teams.  I found the atmosphere at Metlife to be different from Wembley, but not necessarily better. Due to the more tribal aspect, there was a bit of friction in the air, due to fans mingling, and Patriots fans being arrogant arseholes who delighted in rubbing in their superiority to those around supporting the ‘diddy team’ Jets.

Edited by pozbaird