Singapore + Bali

ScottL90

Hello all,

Just looking around for some travel advice on Singapore + Bali. Heading there at the end of next month and wondering if there's any tips on what to do with regards to currency and things to do?

Thanks in advance.

47 minutes ago, ScottL90 said:

Hello all,

Just looking around for some travel advice on Singapore + Bali. Heading there at the end of next month and wondering if there's any tips on what to do with regards to currency and things to do?

Thanks in advance.

Singapore is very expensive, Bali is fairly cheap in comparison.

Sinapore Zoo is outstanding, as is the night safari.   Sentosa Island is worth a visit.

Don't go to Raffles, pay £25 for a drink and some fucker is spitting peanut shells on the floor beside you.

Bali is very good, but the south of the island around Kuta/Densapar/Seminyak is can be a bit manic.  The traffic there is mayhem and takes an age to get anywhere, taxi's are ridiculously cheap though.

Things I would recommend; Monkey temple in Ubud, Climb Mount Batur to watch the sunrise, eat drink and take in the scenery.  I hired a taxi for the day to go site-seeing at various waterfalls and stuff. I got the number off a mate who'd been and pre-arranged with the driver what to see and do.  He stuck to the plan, made a few suggestions etc but didn't try to push or sell anything.  All in I'm sure it cost less than £30 and that was with a healthy tip for the driver.

Food in Bali is outstanding.

In Bali, if you're taking cash change money over there as you'll get a much better rate. 

Edited by MONKMAN

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Singapore is very expensive, Bali is fairly cheap in comparison.

Sinapore Zoo is outstanding, as is the night safari.   Sentosa Island is worth a visit.

Don't go to Raffles, pay £25 for a drink and some fucker is spitting peanut shells on the floor beside you.

Bali is very good, but the south of the island around Kuta/Densapar/Seminyak is can be a bit manic.  The traffic there is mayhem and takes an age to get anywhere, taxi's are ridiculously cheap though.

Things I would recommend; Monkey temple in Ubud, Climb Mount Batur to watch the sunrise, eat drink and take in the scenery.  I hired a taxi for the day to go site-seeing at various waterfalls and stuff. I got the number off a mate who'd been and pre-arranged with the driver what to see and do.  He stuck to the plan, made a few suggestions etc but didn't try to push or sell anything.  All in I'm sure it cost less than £30 and that was with a healthy tip for the driver.

Food in Bali is outstanding.

In Bali, if you're taking cash change money over there as you'll get a much better rate. 

Thanks very much, had seen a couple bits online saying it's better to change money over there. Have been told about Raffles before... I'm far too tight for that crap! Zoo and night safari sounds good though. 

Cheers.

52 minutes ago, ScottL90 said:

Thanks very much, had seen a couple bits online saying it's better to change money over there. Have been told about Raffles before... I'm far too tight for that crap! Zoo and night safari sounds good though. 

Cheers.

From memory, I was getting about 15% more over there than what the exchange shops here were offering.  I changed abut £50 worth before going for taxi's etc from the airport but the rest over there.  

Hi mate, I lived in Singapore; you're in for a good, if expensive, time.

The football season will be in full swing, so do consider dropping by one of the few stadia that are still in use. Local football is on its arse, tickets are 5 or 6 SGD depending on the club and they can all use the support, so give it some thought.

Give the treetop walk a google; it's up near MacRitchie Reservoir and includes a really nice hike through the jungle, wild monkeys and all. It's free to boot, and you get some lovely views.

Don't go to restaurants, eat exclusively at hawker centres. Amazing food, amazing prices - B-Gain at Clementi was my fave spot, but the old airport in the East was good too. Don't give any of the places at Marina Bay a cent, overpriced and crap food. You may want to stop by for a peek at the architecture and the free parts of the botanical gardens, though. You can also walk across parts of the Formula 1 track (some of the straights are pedestrians-only).

Geylang is the red light district, they do good frog porridge there if you're feeling adventurous. Chinatown is worth a visit too, especially if they have a festival going on (they did last time I was there at the end of July).

Jurong out in the West is lovely, the Chinese and Japanese gardens are free and there's a turtle zoo/museum that charges just a couple of SGD to let you in and toss food at a swarm of the little buggers. Can be combined with an evening match at Jurong East Stadium where Albirex Niigata Singapore and Warriors FC play. Good waterpark right next door too, now that I think about it.

Never bothered with the zoo and night safari myself, so can't comment.

Hi mate, I lived in Singapore; you're in for a good, if expensive, time.
The football season will be in full swing, so do consider dropping by one of the few stadia that are still in use. Local football is on its arse, tickets are 5 or 6 SGD depending on the club and they can all use the support, so give it some thought.
Give the treetop walk a google; it's up near MacRitchie Reservoir and includes a really nice hike through the jungle, wild monkeys and all. It's free to boot, and you get some lovely views.
Don't go to restaurants, eat exclusively at hawker centres. Amazing food, amazing prices - B-Gain at Clementi was my fave spot, but the old airport in the East was good too. Don't give any of the places at Marina Bay a cent, overpriced and crap food. You may want to stop by for a peek at the architecture and the free parts of the botanical gardens, though. You can also walk across parts of the Formula 1 track (some of the straights are pedestrians-only).
Geylang is the red light district, they do good frog porridge there if you're feeling adventurous. Chinatown is worth a visit too, especially if they have a festival going on (they did last time I was there at the end of July).
Jurong out in the West is lovely, the Chinese and Japanese gardens are free and there's a turtle zoo/museum that charges just a couple of SGD to let you in and toss food at a swarm of the little buggers. Can be combined with an evening match at Jurong East Stadium where Albirex Niigata Singapore and Warriors FC play. Good waterpark right next door too, now that I think about it.
Never bothered with the zoo and night safari myself, so can't comment.

For Singapore, pretty much as Dutchborder says. Depending on your tastes you can throw in a day at Sentosa, The old Ford motor factory (where The British surrendered to the Japanese, now a museum), around the old town next to Clarke Quay and of course the usual Chinatown and Little India.

Football wise, it's shit, but actually some clubs have free entry so a cheap/free evening and a decent laugh.

Definitely eat in the hawker centres that are everywhere.

Bali, for me is okay. As someone said the south isn't the best, Kuta is more like Ibiza for the Australians. So better spending your time up north.

You can get cash easily in Singapore and Indonesia, whether you'll get savings against the UK, probably.

Singapore is ridiculously expensive, Indonesia not do.

Indonesian food is fantastic from simple Nasi goreng to rendang, satay and of course the sambal (chili). Sambal Goreng is for me, wonderful. Definitely have some martabak when there as well.

On 6/9/2019 at 22:20, ScottL90 said:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Just back from 10 days in Bali - it's only a hop over the water from Jakarta.

This time we did 5 nights in Ubud and 5 in Nusa Dua. We have quite small kids so we like the Marriott at Nusa Dua and especially their kids club - probably one of the nicer beaches in Bali as well.

The food in Ubud is fantastic, highly recommend Ibu Susu - excellent cocktails and their twist on Indo food was very impressive - got to try the Beef Rendang. Also, cocktails at the Night Rooster is a must do. I honestly wouldn't bother with the Monkey Temple, unless you really like monkeys - little wankers who try to steal all your stuff. It's worth seeing a fire show for the spectacle, there are loads of them around. The whole place is now very touristy but if you can find a decent guy with a car then it is worth getting out for a half day to see the rice paddies, etc.

I like the south as well. It is full of Aussies but if you stay down near double 6 beach in Seminyak then there are loads of cool restaurants and bars. If you want it a bit quieter then Canggu is nice and Sanur is alright as well. 

Put the Bluebird and GoJek app on your phone when you get there - the best way to get taxis without attempted rip-offs. We got a pick up through the Mozio app from Bali airport and transport to Ubud for $25 - this included the meet and greet - was well worth it.

On 09/06/2019 at 16:20, ScottL90 said:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

If you're into madness and parties Kuta and Seminyak are good. I'd probably say Kuta is one of the more mental places i've been.

Very much worthwhile taking a trip over to the Gilli islands if in the Lombok area (i think). I went to Gilli Air and Gilli Trawangan and they really were fantastic experiences. 

On 6/11/2019 at 11:51, Saigon Raider said:

Just back from 10 days in Bali - it's only a hop over the water from Jakarta.

This time we did 5 nights in Ubud and 5 in Nusa Dua. We have quite small kids so we like the Marriott at Nusa Dua and especially their kids club - probably one of the nicer beaches in Bali as well.

The food in Ubud is fantastic, highly recommend Ibu Susu - excellent cocktails and their twist on Indo food was very impressive - got to try the Beef Rendang. Also, cocktails at the Night Rooster is a must do. I honestly wouldn't bother with the Monkey Temple, unless you really like monkeys - little wankers who try to steal all your stuff. It's worth seeing a fire show for the spectacle, there are loads of them around. The whole place is now very touristy but if you can find a decent guy with a car then it is worth getting out for a half day to see the rice paddies, etc.

I like the south as well. It is full of Aussies but if you stay down near double 6 beach in Seminyak then there are loads of cool restaurants and bars. If you want it a bit quieter then Canggu is nice and Sanur is alright as well. 

Put the Bluebird and GoJek app on your phone when you get there - the best way to get taxis without attempted rip-offs. We got a pick up through the Mozio app from Bali airport and transport to Ubud for $25 - this included the meet and greet - was well worth it.

Thanks very much, Me + the Mrs have 4 nights in Ubud and the rest near Double 6 beach for 6 nights. Think we are breakfast only for the hotels in Bali, how was it price wise for food? My thinking was about £750 GBP for spending, would that be enough to eat + drink to a decent standard or would you recommend taking more? I am keen to try the street food and local dishes etc.. maybe a nice fancy meal 2 of the nights.

Thanks very much, Me + the Mrs have 4 nights in Ubud and the rest near Double 6 beach for 6 nights. Think we are breakfast only for the hotels in Bali, how was it price wise for food? My thinking was about £750 GBP for spending, would that be enough to eat + drink to a decent standard or would you recommend taking more? I am keen to try the street food and local dishes etc.. maybe a nice fancy meal 2 of the nights.
That should be enough

4 hours ago, ScottL90 said:

If you have breakfast at the hotels then we usually scab a lunch/snacks out of that as well - then again, cheese, bread and croissants do my kids!!

Drinks are more expensive in Ubud - should be plenty of decent happy hours in both places. We found food quite cheap in Ubud but will be a bit more in Seminyak. To give you an idea - our meal for 2 at Ibu Susu in Ubud (probably one step down from the Michelin ones that are there), including 6 cocktails was about 1.3m IDR - roughly £70. If you are drinking wine then prices significantly rise, local beer is much cheaper - I would stay away from Bintang but that is cos it kills my stomach, Bali Hai is alright but Stark Wheat beer (brewed in Bali) is very good - a big bottle of local beer will be about £3.50.

If you are eating street food or in local places then the cost significantly decreases - you could eat really well for £20 ish.

I would reckon £750 might be a bit tight if you want to do any activities plus cars to from resorts/airport.

I have lived in Indonesia for 6 years now so if you have any more questions then feel free to PM.

Edited by Saigon Raider

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/06/2019 at 14:44, Londonwell said:

If you're into madness and parties Kuta and Seminyak are good. I'd probably say Kuta is one of the more mental places i've been.

Very much worthwhile taking a trip over to the Gilli islands if in the Lombok area (i think). I went to Gilli Air and Gilli Trawangan and they really were fantastic experiences. 

For a couple looking for nice restaurants and bars and nice scenery, but not too fussed about clubs/partying, is Gili Air a better option or is Gili T still worthwhile? 

I'm flying down to Bali around October/November spend a couple of days then Lombok and finally get to Komodo. I was all booked for Lombok in 2018 then mother nature decided to have a massive earthquake which basically closed it down. Then today they had another. Indonesia obviously doesn't fancy me dropping by.

13 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For a couple looking for nice restaurants and bars and nice scenery, but not too fussed about clubs/partying, is Gili Air a better option or is Gili T still worthwhile? 

It’s been 12 years since I’ve been, so caveat applies, but I would suggest Gili T. At the time it was like a desert island paradise with just enough food/drink spots to keep you entertained. I was with my then GF and we loved it. 

Just to say accommodation wasn’t great at all on Gili T but I was a younger man at the time not giving an f and things may have changed over time (although I hope not). 

• 2 months later...