Belgium vs Scotland

Compare last night's performance and the game against the Belgians in September. If those criticising Clarke / the performance genuinely can't see a vast difference and improvement in shape, organisation and work rate between the two games, then I'd suggest you simply don't understand what it is you're watching, and / or, are a raging *** who has been even further broken by Clarke's Killie dishing out bodying's left, right and centre to you last season.
There was a significant improvement in that performance last night from what we've seen in the last 18 months. I'm optimistic.
You're half right. We looked a lot more organised, and the defence were firefighting all night, but we were useless apart from that. This negative attitude that we should placidly accept a one or two nil defeat needs to get to f**k. Or in the sea in P and B parlance.

You're half right. We looked a lot more organised, and the defence were firefighting all night, but we were useless apart from that. This negative attitude that we should placidly accept a one or two nil defeat needs to get to f**k. Or in the sea in P and B parlance.
I always thought the performance was the most important aspect of last night, and it was ok.

With a bit more luck we'd have been one down late in the game and you never know how that pans out.

I'm not sure a 'positive attitude' is what's needed. More hard work and organisation, and through that results and belief will improve.

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

The fact that fraser and mctominnay didnt start both games is ridiculous, while they are hungry young players scotland should be starting them every game they fit and available 

We were told were told on plane home that both Forest and Fraser wouldn't last 90minutes, must have picked up small knocks  against Cyprus.

Good move to rest McTonninay against Cyprus ,apart from few mins at the end . He was always going to play the full game against Belgium and he did tire badly towards the end .  Good management of the player, but I do agree with you that generally McTomminay should start .

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Just open the doors and it will happen...

Shut up you stupid old man.  This is what other countries do.  Its idiots like you with outlooks like yours that are the reason we havent qualified for anything since 98.

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's pie in the sky, knee jerk, populist shite.

No it's not it's the sort of can do attitude that gets things done.  Belligerent old fools like you achieve fk all.  You have nothing positive to contribute so shut up and fk off.

Edited by Kuro

Shut up you stupid old man.  This is what other countries do.  Its idiots like you with outlooks like yours that are the reason we havent qualified for anything since 98.
Sergeant Wilson and Scott McKenna, to be more precise.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
38 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Sergeant Wilson and Scott McKenna, to be more precise.

players who switch off before the ball has actually gone  out of play do not help

12 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I disagree. I thought first half was pretty positive from a defensive point of view. Aside from the chance they should've scored midway through the first half I don't think they caused us too many problems. Our shape was good and I thought we pressed them at the right times. Our issue was ball retention and getting up the pitch, I'd say this is more down to confidence and bravery rather than any tactical set up. This is a team a million miles ahead of us, I'm not sure how much more we could've expected from that first 45, other than concentrating for an additional two minutes.

The first goal was always going to kill the game and it duly did, the second half was a bit of a write off for me, particularly once the second goes in.

I thought the first half was a real struggle, as was the entire game.

Now that's primarily because we were playing against people who are much better than us at football.   We were completely hemmed in though.  We were guilty of launching it aimlessly, just as we were guilty of attempting football and getting caught.   It wasn't working, because it would have required something utterly freakish for Belgium to not eventually score.  That they ultimately got three was probably about fair and right. 

There's no disgrace in that, or yet a real requirement for hand wringing.  There was no encouragement in there either though, and nobody would have found any under most previous regimes.

Now that's primarily because we were playing against people who are much better than us at football.   We were completely hemmed in though.  We were guilty of launching it aimlessly, just as we were guilty of attempting football and getting caught.   It wasn't working, because it would have required something utterly freakish for Belgium to not eventually score.  That they ultimately got three was probably about fair and right. 
There's no disgrace in that, or yet a real requirement for hand wringing.  There was no encouragement in there either though, and nobody would have found any under most previous regimes.

Well agree to disagree.

Given I said defensive shape was the positives to take and you’ve focused the negative on ball retention which is also said was a negative , I think we’re on the same page though really. I know you won’t admit that, it’s ok though, I don’t need you to. [emoji8]

Fair summation.
I think that's why I feel quite flat about everything today - cos there's really nothing conclusive to take out of last night's game other than that Belgium are currently much better than us no matter what we do.
Clarke's Scotland do look a bit more coordinated, but that's really just a nicety at the moment. Going to have to wait till September to see if that can actually translate into points against better but realistically beatable sides (I.e Russia).

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well agree to disagree.

Given I said defensive shape was the positives to take and you’ve focused the negative on ball retention which is also said was a negative , I think we’re on the same page though really. I know you won’t admit that, it’s ok though, I don’t need you to. emoji8.png

We're usually on at least adjacent pages.

I'll admit that much.

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

No it's not it's the sort of can do attitude that gets things done.  Belligerent old fools like you achieve fk all.  You have nothing positive to contribute so shut up and fk off.

You do it then, you have all the credentials and connections.

We lost 3-0 in Kazakhstan too. The encouragement I can take from this 3-0 away defeat is that we’ve gone from disorganised shite to organised shite against one of the better teams in the World.

It reminded me of performances of old (mainly the ‘90s) when we had 10 men behind the ball and occasional glimpses of a headless chicken forward running about at full pelt up front chasing the aimless punts. Just like the halcyon days Under Craig Brown.

Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Cortouis reckons Scotland were lucky to escape with a 3-0 loss in Brussels, saying: "It could easily have been seven. This was not really a challenge." (Daily Mail, print edition)

Seven is a bit generous but this is pretty much how I saw the game. If KDB had put away that big chance early on then it certainly could have been more. 

It was particularly worrying how many times their defence played passes straight through our midfield. This wasn't much more than a training match for them.