Belgium vs Scotland

17 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Croatia and Uruguay have similar/lesser populations that ourselves and they are regularly participating in  major tournaments. Why are their players so much better? They've had consistently good players for a while now. Their individual leagues aren't miles ahead of ours surely? The SFA do have a lot to answer for though.  

To a lesser extent the likes of Iceland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland have participated in major tournaments recently. Fact is, player for player we are not worse than these nations, slovenia, slovakia, montengro, albania have all qualified recently aswell. 

You tend to find that it's cyclical with smaller nations.

Let's face it, Belgium themselves had been utter dross for the past 25 years up until a couple of seasons back and while I do get your point about some of the others qualifying, we have without doubt had some shockingly difficult groups over the past decade for both World Cup and Euros.

Having said that, we SHOULD have qualified for the last Euros as we were a better side than the likes of the Republic, however for whatever reason we ultimately failed.

Hopefully now with a decent Manager at the helm we can start to do a bit better but again it's not getting any easier, especially as far as World Cup qualification is concerned.

Like everything in today's world it's all set up to benefit the rich and powerful and small nations such as ourselves really have it all to do................

The reasons behind Scotland's comparative shitness are as follows -
1. Playstations
2. Genetics
3. The Barnett Formula
4. Kick and rush football
5. The Old Firm
6. English quislings with Scottish grannies
7. Players not singing the anthem
8. Glengarry hats creating deep despair about the national side
9. Being content with failure
10. Scott McKenna
11. The ageing population 
12. Rubbish away tops
13. Sports days being all about participation rather than winning
14. Middle class wanks playing rugby and tennis 

Appreciate the vast majority of that is having a dig at some of the media and fans hysterical reactions to things but I’d be surprised if culture and relative affluence as a country weren’t linked in some way to the lack of quality players we produce.

Guest Moomintroll
The reasons behind Scotland's comparative shitness are as follows -
1. Playstations
2. Genetics
3. The Barnett Formula
4. Kick and rush football
5. The Old Firm
6. English quislings with Scottish grannies
7. Players not singing the anthem
8. Glengarry hats creating deep despair about the national side
9. Being content with failure
10. Scott McKenna
11. The ageing population 
12. Rubbish away tops
13. Sports days being all about participation rather than winning
14. Middle class wanks playing rugby and tennis 
Killie should be in there at least 3 times apparently.

Guest Moomintroll
I forgot 'Not Having Colonies'.  Fucking Darien scheme. 
We would even managed to bollocks that up, cannot think a single Panamanian player.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Appreciate the vast majority of that is having a dig at some of the media and fans hysterical reactions to things but I’d be surprised if culture and relative affluence as a country weren’t linked in some way to the lack of quality players we produce.

It does not help that senior players have retired from international football or refuse to make themselves available for selection (e.g. McArthur, Ritchie, Fletcher).

Then there are the eligible players who are ignored by the management (e.g. Cooper) or have switched allegiance top other countries (e.g. McCarthy, Arfield, Gunn). 

The squad is does not have the quality players that it could or should have. 

3 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Thought they had qualified individually but they got into 2006 world cup as part of serbia and montenegro.

They did. I'd forgotten they used to be united.

15 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It does not help that senior players have retired from international football or refuse to make themselves available for selection (e.g. McArthur, Ritchie, Fletcher).

Then there are the eligible players who are ignored by the management (e.g. Cooper) or have switched allegiance top other countries (e.g. McCarthy, Arfield, Gunn). 

The squad is does not have the quality players that it could or should have. 

True, but I always try and separate our ability to produce players and the management/composition of the current pool of players.

48 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, The OP said:
I forgot 'Not Having Colonies'.  Fucking Darien scheme. 

We would even managed to bollocks that up, cannot think a single Panamanian player.

That's true, for a nation with a greater population than Uruguay and a similar population to Croatia they're pretty shite. 

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Can't say I agree with that. We have Ryan Fraser, Scott McTominay and Stuart Armstrong who all play in the same league as Robertson with McLean and McGinn joining them from next season. Robertson has also flattered to deceive a bit in a Scotland shirt at times. Not saying he isn't a great player but I don't think we missed him last night and the boy Taylor filled the gap brilliantly.

If we look at the recipe for Belgium's (and most nations) success it's a core group of players brought through the youth ranks together, playing the same style at each level. Blood them into the national side fairly early (we play plenty of meaningless friendlies so why not use these?) alongside a few experienced players. I think our team last night had less than 150 caps between them....Hazard has had about 100 himself. Clarke made some bold decisions but I think he's been right in doing so...we needed to get away from the likes of Allan McGregor, Scott Brown and Steven Fletcher and bring in newer players. Other nations have capped players who barely play for their clubs like Foden and Hudson-Odoi for England, we should be looking to bring in hungry young players regardless of where they play their football. Guys like Halkett, Taylor, McNulty, Griffiths, McKenna, Soutar, Bates etc should have been in and around the squad for a while now so they develop an understanding with each other and get used to international football.

Belgium's footballers are far more skilful than ours

I'm not disputing that fact but they've also had a very settled group of players for a long time. Iceland were the same when they had that run in the euros...we have a billion players with 1 cap each (for the avoidance of doubt, I'm exaggerating). We're not going to magically produce the next Cristiano McNaldo but a settled squad who know each other and are brought through together is surely more beneficial than a group of guys turning up international week and meeting each other for the first time. Skillful players only get teams so far (Argentina and Messi for example) but team work....I'm gonna say it...I can't believe I'm gonna say it....makes the dream work. We won't win a major tournament anytime soon but with a tight knit squad who've grown up together we might just qualify for a few. Livingston aren't blessed with skillful players but back to back promotion was achieved and the majority of the players playing this season had featured in league 1 only 2 years previous. Decades ago the Scotland squad wasn't full of surprises and we had a half decent team for our level...how many times in the last 10-15 years have you looked at a Scotland squad and thought "who's that?" Only to find out he's a 30 year old Englishman whose gran once had a caravan in Dunoon?

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

True, but I always try and separate our ability to produce players and the management/composition of the current pool of players.

McArthur and Ritchie should be in the current pool and starting. Previous management ignored Arfield and he switched to Canada. Current management, like their predecessors, are ignoring Lindsay who could playing in Serie A next season. If not, he could move to a bigger Championship side.

31 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
42 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

I'm not disputing that fact but they've also had a very settled group of players for a long time. Iceland were the same when they had that run in the euros...we have a billion players with 1 cap each (for the avoidance of doubt, I'm exaggerating). We're not going to magically produce the next Cristiano McNaldo but a settled squad who know each other and are brought through together is surely more beneficial than a group of guys turning up international week and meeting each other for the first time. Skillful players only get teams so far (Argentina and Messi for example) but team work....I'm gonna say it...I can't believe I'm gonna say it....makes the dream work. We won't win a major tournament anytime soon but with a tight knit squad who've grown up together we might just qualify for a few. Livingston aren't blessed with skillful players but back to back promotion was achieved and the majority of the players playing this season had featured in league 1 only 2 years previous. Decades ago the Scotland squad wasn't full of surprises and we had a half decent team for our level...how many times in the last 10-15 years have you looked at a Scotland squad and thought "who's that?" Only to find out he's a 30 year old Englishman whose gran once had a caravan in Dunoon?

I want to upvote you for this post, which is great. Yet I also want to down vote you for the abortion in bold.

Decisions, decisions..... :)

Edited by Jambomo

I want to upvote you for this post, which is great. Yet I also want to down vote you for the abortion in bold.

Decisions, decisions..... [emoji4]

I think the McNaldo line makes the decision for you.

Just back from Belgium, there has been a big change in the atmosphere since the last game out in San Marino . Everyone I spoke to seemed to have great faith in Steve Clarke turning it round . Considering the fact Belgium are on a different planet ,and  our weakened  team , we all thought the players did fine . A good shape to the team ,they all seemed to know what their role was ,and fewer errors , yes the goal on halftime was a sickener and I know Belgium missed a few .

On last nights evidence  we probably have a 40% chance of qualification through the playoffs in March, whereas if they had kept McLeish on the chance of qualification was zero .

Not seen the highlights yet but from our vantage point Fraser, McTominnay,McLean look good for the future , Marshall some cracking saves but his distribution is awful. 

Pretty confident that better times lie ahead .

Decisions, decisions..... [emoji4]
I feel dirty for saying it but the sentiment is true enough...the greeny makes up for the week I've had though, ta [emoji16]