The FootballNation East of Scotland Qualifying Cup 19/20

RampantFM

Don t think I every claimed it had any impact on BSC. Simply stated it's a shambles of a tournament and it does effect the fixture schedule. One of those effects other than postponements is the league cup is played at the end of the season rather than during it. As a result its devalued.  The league champions cannot participate because of the play offs and some teams have to field weakened teams because players are on holiday. (I know that's a whole separate rant)

And can someone please tell me what the hell the winners qualify for? Do any of you actually know?

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

So you don't fancy signing up since you're a East of Scotland club :)

Don't think Alloa or Glasgow are in the east. 😂

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

No idea what JM is on about here. This cup has access to a few Saturdays, but only 2 are 'dedicated' (Aug 17th/Nov 30th) - the others are shared (e.g. Jan 18th with Scottish Cup R4); and BSCG played league games on both anyway, v Caledonian Braves (H) and Berwick (A).

It's had as much impact on their season as the Copa del Rey or the World Darts Championship.

You've had quite a few blank Saturday's though have you not? And is it just me or is it insane to have 3 blank Saturday's between March and April? It's also nuts to get teams to play 3 games in 6 days right at the start of the season. That did effect us this season. 

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

There are only three Lowland league teams left in the cup anyway, BSC have already played twice in the league v Bonnyrigg Rose and once v East Kilbride with the return match due for 22nd February.

The wee teams are really benefiting. 😂

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Drinking early today Jerry? 😉 This cup on its own only takes up two Saturdays from the LL calendar - 17th Aug and 30th Nov, and BSC played league games on those dates anyway so not sure why you're complaining.

I wish. Sitting with a rather lovely single malt now though. Cheers 🥃

3 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Fine, play the games mid week and leave Saturday's for the league and proper cup competitions. 😉  Tell me what the feck do you qualify for if you win anyway? While we're at it, what makes you think we won't pump Hibs? Only 4 games from Europe.

Red dot 🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Don t think I every claimed it had any impact on BSC. Simply stated it's a shambles of a tournament and it does effect the fixture schedule. One of those effects other than postponements is the league cup is played at the end of the season rather than during it. As a result its devalued.  The league champions cannot participate because of the play offs and some teams have to field weakened teams because players are on holiday. (I know that's a whole separate rant)

And can someone please tell me what the hell the winners qualify for? Do any of you actually know?

What they qualify for is the East of Scotland Cup ran by the EoSFA. Also known as the City Cup. It's where the qualifiers compete against the SPFL members of the EoSFA. Hearts and Hibs stopped competing in the City Cup. So its now just Edinburgh City that compete in the City Cup.

Which means this season's City Cup will be Edinburgh City v. Qualifying Cup winner in a one off final.

Last season's, this year's City Cup has semi finals as it was Edinburgh City v. Camelon and Berwick Rangers v. The Spartans.

It's a pair of competitions that may well evolve following the way the EoSFL and the pyramid has changed.

38 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

You've had quite a few blank Saturday's though have you not?

You're not correct (infact way off) here - Berwick have had 1 blank weekend all season, and that was a South Challenge Cup date in October, as we bombed out at Tranent in September.

38 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

And is it just me or is it insane to have 3 blank Saturday's between March and April?

Again not correct - there are 2 reserve dates in the spring not 3. Plus if it was not for those reserve dates you'd have to play 2 more midweek league games this spring than will likely prove so.

Down the years they've been useful for rescheduling long-distance games or at unlit clubs (less so now - though your Hibs tie has displaced A v Vale).

HL has 3 reserve dates.

EDIT: It's worth saying this cup isn't an outlier: the equivalent competitions for the rest of tier 5 are the Southern Counties Cup, the Aberdeenshire Cup, and the North of Scotland Cup. However up north they actually have another - the Aberdeenshire Shield - so 2 compared to 1 down here.

There is also the Fife Cup, which is an outlier. Dalbeattie and Edusport/Caledonian Braves have also entered 1 or 2 extra SOS cups in recent years e.g. Potts Cup this season.

Edited by HibeeJibee

7 minutes ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Over a period of 5 Saturdays in March and April, Shire only have ONE fixture scheduled and no games to catch up. They then go into two "biggies" versus East Kilbride and Bonnyrigg, followed by the League Cup. 

Apparently I'm mistaken Nimmo. I'm not against club's entering regional competitions. I do believe the league and league cup should take priority. The league cup should not be devalued by playing it during the play offs. And another thing if these regional cups have so little impact why the do we play a third of our league fixtures in the first month and a half of the season? 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

You're not correct (infact way off) here - Berwick have had 1 blank weekend all season, and that was a South Challenge Cup date in October, as we bombed out at Tranent in September.

Again not correct - there are 2 reserve dates in the spring not 3. Plus if it was not for those reserve dates you'd have to play 2 more midweek league games this spring than will likely prove so.

Down the years they've been useful for rescheduling long-distance games or at unlit clubs (less so now - though your Hibs tie has displaced A v Vale).

HL has 3 reserve dates.

EDIT: It's worth saying this cup isn't an outlier: the equivalent competitions for the rest of tier 5 are the Southern Counties Cup, the Aberdeenshire Cup, and the North of Scotland Cup. However up north they actually have another - the Aberdeenshire Shield - so 2 compared to 1 down here.

There is also the Fife Cup, which is an outlier. Dalbeattie and Edusport/Caledonian Braves have also entered 1 or 2 extra SOS cups in recent years e.g. Potts Cup this season.

Thanks for setting me straight and for pointing out all the other regional cups that impact on the league & league cup fixtures.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

What they qualify for is the East of Scotland Cup ran by the EoSFA. Also known as the City Cup. It's where the qualifiers compete against the SPFL members of the EoSFA. Hearts and Hibs stopped competing in the City Cup. So its now just Edinburgh City that compete in the City Cup.

Which means this season's City Cup will be Edinburgh City v. Qualifying Cup winner in a one off final.

Last season's, this year's City Cup has semi finals as it was Edinburgh City v. Camelon and Berwick Rangers v. The Spartans.

It's a pair of competitions that may well evolve following the way the EoSFL and the pyramid has changed.

Thanks for that. As a matter of interest who won last season?

6 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

The Spartans 2-0 Camelon Juniors in the final.

Both then qualified for the City Cup as the SPFL in 2018-19 had both Berwick Rangers and Edinburgh City. The City Cup is currently still being played as it has been held over to this season.

Which is one of the reasons I think, outside looking in, that there might be a bit of change in future. The City Cup is a bit of an after thought with so many more games in the lower leagues and the SPFL sides being quite busy as well.

Nobody, its not been played. (The City Cup that is)

Have to say I'm in agreement with this particular cup, I just don't see the point in it. It's hardly a glamour game against Edinburgh City (no offence meant lads).

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The Spartans 2-0 Camelon Juniors in the final.

Both then qualified for the City Cup as the SPFL in 2018-19 had both Berwick Rangers and Edinburgh City. The City Cup is currently still being played as it has been held over to this season.

Which is one of the reasons I think, outside looking in, that there might be a bit of change in future. The City Cup is a bit of an after thought with so many more games in the lower leagues and the SPFL sides being quite busy as well.

Sounds like the east coast equivalent of the Glasgow Cup. Why dont they do what Glasgow did and turn it into a youth tournament?

25 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Nobody, its not been played. (The City Cup that is)

Have to say I'm in agreement with this particular cup, I just don't see the point in it. It's hardly a glamour game against Edinburgh City (no offence meant lads).

I think this is indicative of football in general. Change is difficult and frowned upon. Sometimes met with outright hostility. Easier to just carry on as we always have done.🤷‍♂️

When the qualifying cup has nothing really to qualify for it brings me back to my original comment. Shambles.

Edited by Jerry Macguire