Scotland vs Cyprus saturday match thread

Some of the old cnuts in the north stand should be banned from attending,  just for the absolute pish they come out with. Honestly almost put a total downer on my experience and night as a whole.

From the 3rd minute in screaming at the top of their lungs:

"Commmmmmmeee Ooooooooaaaannnn put a fucking tackle in"

"Fucking drive,  fucking drive into them" every 2 mins of the game and then then general shit like 

"At least Clarke hasnae got any of they darkies in the team" (I should have really reported him for this)

About Robertson: "Can dae it for Liverpool every week but fucking lazy b*****d for Scotland"

"Brophaaaaaaaaay, show some fucking experience mannnnn"

This wasnt just from one person either, it was a small sample from people around me that I could hear.

Just absolute fucking bellends

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Didn't reply to this earlier because I was out watching more Killie players playing for Scotland in one game than St Johnstone have had in the last 85 years.

And how proud you must have been watching our 2 worst players toil against the mighty Cyprus.

Good to get the win and keep the fans pacified somewhat. Can see why Clarke opted for that team however lots of learnings already and can only hope he builds from these. Not sure the Kilmarnock players are up to that level yet. Appreciate Brophy didn’t get much through the middle to work with but he didn’t even try to close the defenders down. A striker playing at a higher level  would have also anticipated a few of those crosses that appeared to be played to nobody 

Brophy might not be the answer but it's a better attempt at finding it than going with the same old faces who will be done in a year or two, if not already. Happy to search around and try youngsters with the ultimate aim of being ready for the playoffs next year.

Robertson and Fraser were brilliant down the left and anyone who argues that Tierney should be at LB is utterly deluded. Also thought McGinn and McLean looked good for most of the game tho a few mistakes were made by both. 

We're one game in under Clarke so f**k the negativity. 

Edited by meanmistermustard

Guest DAVIDB69

Last night didn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already know we tend to just beat the teams we are expected to beat. We rarely beat teams around our level or slightly better , this needs to change.

I hope Clarke doesn’t play the free hit card on Tuesday although we will likely get a bit of a hiding.

Got home late from the match last night so just had a chance to catch up now. I thought we looked like what we were, a new team trying to get to grips with each other and how the manager wants the team to play now. I think we looked good in parts, certainly felt we looked better organised than we have done in the last few games, but were shaky and a bit rough at times as well and no manager is going to be able to make that central defence any good.

Happy with Clarke's comments after the game and agree with them, happy with the points but its a work in progress.  We need to find a way to get our strikers into the games, Brophy was constantly isolated and surrounded by about 3 defenders all the time,  and it was the same in past games with McBurnie, neither looked great but then they won't without any support - if they are constantly the only player getting into the box then they will always be easily defended.

Expect a bit of a hounding against Belgium  but that was always on the cards. I think that its the same as before, we use these games to get the team ready for the Nations League playoffs - they are our best hope of getting there.

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Appreciate Brophy didn’t get much through the middle to work with but he didn’t even try to close the defenders down. A striker playing at a higher level  would have also anticipated a few of those crosses that appeared to be played to nobody 

Some of the crosses Fraser was putting in, especially in the first half were very good. Ball seems to hang in the air. Obviously at Bournemouth he has Callum Wilson / Josh King to aim for, who are both very useful in the air. 

Didn't think Brophy did too bad, just felt Burke suited the system a lot more.

Still can't get my head around why McTominay isn't getting a chance. It's only Clarke's first game in charge so I'll hold off criticizing him just yet. At least he was moved to a more central area away from the right side.

McGinn needs benched until he gets a grip. Sick of seeing him play like he's down the local park. You'd have thought he would have learned something from the Belgium mistake when one pressed him high up the park but yesterday he seemed to think a pirouette was a good way out of a two man press. He's going to cost us goals if he's kept in the team and he's not adding enough going forward to justify taking the chance.

12 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Still can't get my head around why McTominay isn't getting a chance. It's only Clarke's first game in charge so I'll hold off criticizing him just yet. At least he was moved to a more central area away from the right side.

McGinn needs benched until he gets a grip. Sick of seeing him play like he's down the local park. You'd have thought he would have learned something from the Belgium mistake when one pressed him high up the park but yesterday he seemed to think a pirouette was a good way out of a two man press. He's going to cost us goals if he's kept in the team and he's not adding enough going forward to justify taking the chance.

McGinn (and McTominay) are the only players I’d fancy winning a 50:50 against a Belgian. McGinn sets the tempo by winning the ball and getting in players faces. He makes the odd mistake but we’d be powder puff without him. I’d probably play McTominay, McGinn and Armstrong against Belgium. 

16 minutes ago, charger29 said:

:lol:

Agree. Am sick of seeing McGinn spin on his fat arse while the ball rolls to the opposition attackers bearing down on our goal. He's a bombscare. Maybe we should wear Aston Villa strips?

12 hours ago, pandarilla said:
12 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:
Someone get on the phone to Griffiths

What I'd give for Alan Hutton and Kenny miller right now.

What I'd give to get rid of Kenny Miller right now.

All in, a pleasing if stressful win.

The positives:

McKenna and Mulgrew had a good game together and looked a viable partnership to move forward with. McKenna is a bit raw with his passing but he can defend, which is the primary job of a defender.

McLean had his best game in a Scotland shirt so far.

Fraser and Robertson really is a dreamy partnership on the left flank. No surprise that both goals came from there.

Good contributions from all three substitutes when they came on. Clarke called all three correctly. I would be surprised if all three didn't start on Tuesday.

Our shape, discipline and defensive structure were much better than under McLeish (not difficult).

Our response to the equaliser was top drawer.

Negatives/things to be built on:

Too ponderous in midfield for too long in the game. Lacked some direct action in the central area. Every time we start without Armstrong, we struggle to link the centre of midfield to the striker. Vital to how we want to play.

McGregor and Forrest looked out on their feet after a long season, particularly McGregor. That should not take away from the effort of either, who put in reasonable displays.

I just don't quite understand John McGinn's game enough to appreciate him. Fantastic work rate and running but his quality on the ball is often lacking. Thought he was average last night.

Brophy really lacked support from the middle of midfield and was left an isolated figure too often. Not his fault but he will likely be frustrated.

The goal we lost, poor moment from Andy Robertson. Basic error that could have been really costly.

McGinn (and McTominay) are the only players I’d fancy winning a 50:50 against a Belgian. McGinn sets the tempo by winning the ball and getting in players faces. He makes the odd mistake but we’d be powder puff without him. I’d probably play McTominay, McGinn and Armstrong against Belgium. 
He won plenty of tackles against Belgium in the friendly. Probably one of the best single game tacking performance for Scotland in years tbh. But I still wouldn't take the chance with him. He's got a complete lack of awareness of his position on the pitch.

2 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Once Celtic buy O’Donnell for £1million he’ll become a much better player cos Lenny’s a better coach than Clarke :) 

Lennon is nowhere near Clarke's league.  And I doubt Celt are interested in O'Donnell.

2 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Once Celtic buy O’Donnell for £1million he’ll become a much better player cos Lenny’s a better coach than Clarke :) 

Lennon is nowhere near Clarke's league.  And I doubt Celt are interested in O'Donnell.