Scotland vs Cyprus saturday match thread

Without McBurnie we have no proper striker.

We’ve got loads of midfielders though and guys who can play number 10.

I’d go without a striker and play a number 10 instead, allowing Forest and Fraser more freedom.

Ideally I’d have Snodgrass in that role but without him, Armstrong.

Marshall

Palmer
Mulgrew
McKenna
Robertson

McGregor
McTominay
McGinn

Armstrong

Forrest
Fraser

When we b

I get the impression both Soutter and McKenna  are solid but slow.

Findlay brings solidity and speed. If he's not already better than them, he will be.

Never really been impressed with Soutter that much, I'd partner McKenna with Findlay at the back.

scotlandcyprus-29f63ec15345215e2fe0e08b8

27 minutes ago, Aidan said:
2 hours ago, Binos said:
I can't see past this

You could make an argument for Armstrong in ahead of McGregor or McGinn but that's it.

I like the, Liverpool style, three DM's in midfield

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Doesn't do any harm tho does it?
Means SC gets a chance to see four up close and identify the 3 he wants to go fwd with

I'd rather have another outfield player

A 4th choice keeper never sees any minutes

53 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For me Scotland will miss Christie tonight looking back at the games Forrest plays better with him.
We need runners from the midfield hopefully McGinn and Armstrong can provide that with Fraser and Forrest.

Runners beyond the striker, Christie when fit, Armstrong, are good with a hold up man but Fletcher won't play for us

15 minutes ago, Binos said:

Neither does the third.  Nor, very often, does the second.

Clarke could have picked another outfield player had he wanted.  Just because there are four keepers doesn't mean someone has missed out on a squad place.

3 hours ago, DC92 said:

Re: the "goalies are horrific" chat, what is it exactly that makes people think John McLaughlin is horrific? He was excellent for Hearts and it sounds like he's been the same at Sunderland. Not just a shot-stopper either, he was very good at commanding the box for Hearts.

He is fucking miles better than Scott Bain anyway.

Aye, McLaughlin would be my number one from that selection, but I've not seen Marshall at all this season to know how hes playing.

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I like the look of Ross Sinclair at St.Johnstone, he has everything to go on and play at the highest level, but again, he’s at the start of the road and has a hell of a lot of work to do before he can even be considered for the national squad.

Zander Clark missed out on the "golden glove" by one clean sheet, making the most, over 110 (and 11 more than second place) saves in the process, yet is still behind two players he performed better than in direct competition (Bain, Kelly). 

Theres absolutely no point touting St Johnstone players for International recognition.

It’s not about giving them minutes. It’s so that SSC can get a look at them in training and see who’s likely to be able to compete for that number 1 jersey. We all know that Marshall can compete at a good level, but it’s difficult to compare McLaughin and Kelly without having them in the same place. He won’t call up 4 keepers to his next squad.

IMG_8776.jpg

My side for tonight. Not too bothered about goalkeeper and wont mind if another one starts. Equally if souttar or findlay comes in for mulgrew I wont mind. I was trying to find a way to get mcginn in but armstrong has really impressed me for scotland and this sways my decision. Think mcginns energy will be more effective on tuesday as he maybe isn’t as good on ball as the others. Up front, was a toss up between brophy and russell, russell more a winger so opted for brophy. Not a massive fan of mcnulty on my limited viewings of him

Said it before, but I can definitely see Cairney being involved at some stage, whether that’s starting or a decent runout as a sub, but I reckon SSC went out of his way to talk to him so maybe promises were made???
Either way I can see him getting on at some stage just so SSC can nail the guys colours to the mast and stop all the will he - won’t he chat!!!

Zander Clark missed out on the "golden glove" by one clean sheet, making the most, over 110 (and 11 more than second place) saves in the process, yet is still behind two players he performed better than in direct competition (Bain, Kelly). 
Theres absolutely no point touting St Johnstone players for International recognition.

I’ve made various posts on here about Clark being continually snubbed, I just don’t get it. I kind of understood when McGregor & Gordon were at the top of their game and Marshall was 3rd choice but now.....I just don’t get it. I would have Clark in my squad.

Equally if souttar or findlay comes in for mulgrew I wont mind.

I personally wouldn’t play Mulgrew, but I just have this sneaky feeling that Clarke will. I think he’ll look at his set piece play as being an asset to be used and the fact he’s comfortable on the ball to bring out from the back, and we’ll have a lot of the ball I would have thought, will ensure he goes in.

21 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I’ve made various posts on here about Clark being continually snubbed, I just don’t get it. I kind of understood when McGregor & Gordon were at the top of their game and Marshall was 3rd choice but now.....I just don’t get it. I would have Clark in my squad.

I personally wouldn’t play Mulgrew, but I just have this sneaky feeling that Clarke will. I think he’ll look at his set piece play as being an asset to be used and the fact he’s comfortable on the ball to bring out from the back, and we’ll have a lot of the ball I would have thought, will ensure he goes in.

Mulgrew at centre half negates much of his set piece stuff, but he's still probably the best centre back in the squad, at least in terms of composure.  I reckon he might start as well.  

I’m actually quite excited to see a front 3 of Forrest Brophy and Fraser, the pace on all 3 will be a struggle for any side, plus we’ve got a great selection for the midfield. It’s quite clear that our main issue is right back, and GK. I don’t think Scott Bain is good enough. I’d have Marshall or McLaughlin in there.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, McLaughlin would be my number one from that selection, but I've not seen Marshall at all this season to know how hes playing.

Bain and Clark had exactly the same number of clean sheets in the Premiership last season (15). Bain played 20 times, Clark played 34 times.

Mulgrew (imo) is someone who has been harshly criticised over the years, no issues with him starting whatsoever. Also think to start brophy and findlay would be a huge call, two debuts on one night