West Cup Final

Redbrae

I feel really sorry that winning the West of Scotland cup has diminished over the past 10 years or so, its almost on a par with winning sectional cup.I can still remember the joy and importance of this competition in 70s, 80s and 90s when winning it was a major feat, ranked only in importance by claiming the Scottish.Guess the amalgamation of leagues has some bearing on this competition, i was gutted when Talbot lost the semi, as i can still remember the importance of this trophy kick starting Talbots rise in junior football, but it seems to have lost importance some where along the road.Ive also surprisingly missed the Ayrshire cup, can we have it back and bin the sectional cup please!Congratulations to Beith, West of Scotland Champions.

i always think by the time these cup finals come round ,west ,Scottish etc ,most teams are knackered or carrying injuries etc,and no one ever see's the best of teams in there best of form ? Don't know the answer apart from having them earlier, although i know they see the Scottish as the end of season showpiece, but when's the last time we saw a good final ?

Taking nothing away from Talbot.

i always think by the time these cup finals come round ,west ,Scottish etc ,most teams are knackered or carrying injuries etc,and no one ever see's the best of teams in there best of form ? Don't know the answer apart from having them earlier, although i know they see the Scottish as the end of season showpiece, but when's the last time we saw a good final ?
Taking nothing away from Talbot.

2 years ago [emoji16]

Maybe it’s part of a bigger issue with the  possible demise of Scottish football in general and the public’s interest in it?  When Beith won the West in 2009 it felt like we won the European cup! That said it had been 30 odd years we last won it; so it was a exciting and significant event for us!! Yesterday still felt very significant and exciting but well below winning the Scottish!  What was positive, apart from the result, was the number of youngsters in the crowd; possibly a good omen for the future of Beith juniors!

11 hours ago, BeithJrsFan11 said:

Penalties is always a hard way to lose a final, went through it last year against hurlford! KRR gave a great account of themselves today! All the best for next year!

Thanks mate same for you guys next season 

Was delighted that we won yesterday and claimed our first west win in ten years, the what haves and what nots of the Importance of winning the West have been well documented but my feelings having watched Beith in frustration in the early to late 90s (mostly so watching Dennis grays amazing teams) -  in comparison to now is the following, 

Back in the 90s we were a very good team who just missed out on the majors, beaten West finalists 1992 against Pollok aet at  Cambuslang, beaten Scottish Cup semi finalist v glenafton aet at somerset, finishing 2nd in the league, the big ones just alluded us and I always felt that there was an air of apprehension /anxiety around us when it came to the big crunch games. 

Fast forward onto 2008/2009 and the first time that myself personally had ever saw Beith win a major (newlandsfield Park we beat Talbot 2-1 (spence and McLean) in the West final and I feel that was the catalyst for us to win a further more 2 super Premier leagues, the Scottish Cup, evening times cup, Ayrshire Cup & yesterday's West win which was In turn the 4th west of Scotland win in our history. 

I think success gives you a belief and that you become unfazed with the experience that it provides, back in the 90s we probably would have been anxious and fazed with yesterdays penalties as we really were the nearly men of that generation, we aren't quite Talbot yet but the last ten years have been amazing and long may it continue, every trophy is an achievement and nobody from Beith has drank whisky out of a bad trophy :)

Edited by ThemightyHERTHA

16 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:
19 hours ago, Oscar Wilder said:
2 years ago emoji16.png

uve lost me ?

Two years ago, Hurlford v Talbot. 1-0 to Hurlford then Talbot score two late, late goals. That was the last time there was a good final.

10 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Two years ago, Hurlford v Talbot. 1-0 to Hurlford then Talbot score two late, late goals. That was the last time there was a good final.

Doesn't really make a difference to your point but it was 2-1 going into the final stages

12 minutes ago, Redbrae said:

Why, all of a sudden,  did we start talking about The Talbot and Hurlford on the West of Scotland cup final thread? 

Welcome to the world of pie and bovril....;). I'm just surprised that mick Kennedy hasn't been on yet telling Beith, talbot and Hurlford all about how it's done In the juniors............ 

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Because every thread turns into a Ta£bot thread they don’t like to be left out emoji849.png

Sorry M8 but when you are the benchmark then of course you are bound to be mentioned. I like the wee pound sign there. Very original.

12 hours ago, Redbrae said:

Why, all of a sudden,  did we start talking about The Talbot and Hurlford on the West of Scotland cup final thread? 

Someone asked a question about the Scottish cup so it stands to reason. 

Should have said though, congratulations to Beith on the WOS trophy

Congrats to Beith, was planning to go but couldn't guarantee I could get home for dinner before the Scotland game. Was at the 1-1 game between the two the week before and Beith were definitely the stronger side.

Guest Moomintroll
Welcome to the world of pie and bovril....[emoji6]. I'm just surprised that mick Kennedy hasn't been on yet telling Beith, talbot and Hurlford all about how it's done In the juniors............ 
In so far as I have read, Mick Kennedy has not done that once. He will need to dial it back next season though as I can see the car crash coming, best to just let DL be the shitstorm conductor as he is big enough & ugly enough to not give a toss as long as the team is performing to expectations.