Ragwort and weeds in the garden

It's toxic so wear gloves. Don't cut it. Loosen roots before pulling it out. If  plant starting to seed put in plastic bag so doesn't spread. Maybe buy a ragwort fork from vet supplies or borrow one from someone with a horse. Info offered by Mrs SL who has a horse! Ragwort is not good in a field of horses either.

There's been debate for a while with pros/cons of Ragwort, pros being it's a cracking nectar source for rakes of insects, butterflies and bees etc.  On a summers day they are dripping in pollinators.  

I try to let a few grow wild in the garden, and (try) to dehead it just before it starts seeding.  Through the grass though I can see a fair few trying to get up when I'm cutting it.  Small payoff to get the beasties in I reckon .

10 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

It's toxic so wear gloves. Don't cut it. Loosen roots before pulling it out. If  plant starting to seed put in plastic bag so doesn't spread. Maybe buy a ragwort fork from vet supplies or borrow one from someone with a horse. Info offered by Mrs SL who has a horse! Ragwort is not good in a field of horses either.

I did read about the harm it can do to horses. Horrendous.

The spreading makes sense as well now. Really thought I had cleared it all a couple of years ago, but obviously hadn't.

Have just bought one of those ragwort forks online for under £20. Looks a lot easier to use than a digging fork, so pass my thanks onto Mrs SL.