Ragwort and weeds in the garden

Any help or advice from and fellow P&B'ers would be good.

Ragwort in the garden is a nightmare. Have gone round with a digging fork in the past, but this year it is really bad.

Can I use a weedkiller? Or would it kill the grass as well?

Are those weed-pulling devices any good?

Any help or advice from and fellow P&B'ers would be good.

Ragwort in the garden is a nightmare. Have gone round with a digging fork in the past, but this year it is really bad.

Can I use a weedkiller? Or would it kill the grass as well?

Are those weed-pulling devices any good?

Scarify it

Had an incredible amount of dandelions on the back lawn about a month ago. I used some of that Round Up spray that kills the weed not the grass, done the trick eventually.

Weedkiller ain't what it used to be though, a lot of the nasty stuff was removed just in case folk fancied drinking it.

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Had an incredible amount of dandelions on the back lawn about a month ago. I used some of that Round Up spray that kills the weed not the grass, done the trick eventually.

Weedkiller ain't what it used to be though, a lot of the nasty stuff was removed just in case folk fancied drinking it.

I might try this and then scarify it.

A old neighbour used to work on a farm and got me some 'weedkiller' once to help out my in-laws with a similar problem a few years ago.

Can remember Mrs LH telling me her mum had rang because the grass was smoking :lol:

5 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

I might try this and then scarify it.

A old neighbour used to work on a farm and got me some 'weedkiller' once to help out my in-laws with a similar problem a few years ago.

Can remember Mrs LH telling me her mum had rang because the grass was smoking :lol:

:lol: Must have been industrial strength gear

Ragwort can be poisonous to certain animals, it does need dealing with, RoundUp Ultra might help. Have a google about it, scarifying alone won't get rid of it, scarifying really only removes thatch, moss, stuff that's sitting on top.

There's a gardening thread in General Nonsense somewhere too.

5 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

:lol: Must have been industrial strength gear

Ragwort can be poisonous to certain animals, it does need dealing with, RoundUp Ultra might help. Have a google about it, scarifying alone won't get rid of it, scarifying really only removes thatch, moss, stuff that's sitting on top.

There's a gardening thread in General Nonsense somewhere too.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Gardening thread for this pish

But anyway, scarifying won't work on things with tap roots. Dig them up and turn the clod upside down. They can't grow past a shovel depth. It's better to do this before they flower but I'm guessing they will have flowered by now.

Yeah all flowered, just spent a couple of hours filling a few green bags with the stuff. There are a few mossy/shitty looking bits as well, so I might try and kill them with something safe, then scarify it.

Thanks for everyone's help btw.

24 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Don't go touching Ragwort without wearing decent rubber gloves

Didn't realise it was dangerous to humans. Noted and won't be pulling anymore of it without gloves.

Thanks.