Hope Solo

Kuro

2 hours ago, Kuro said:

A wee stat for you, the last women's world cup generated revenues of $73 million.

The men's generated $4 billion.  Thats four thousand million, or fifty four times as much as the women's.  

Hope Solo wants parity with the men's on $315 million.  That's almost four times the entire revenue generated, where do they get the money from?  

So no, you don't know. You're just going to roll out some unrelated numbers in the hope they make you look less of a trumpet.

I have to inform you, they do not.

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

So no, you don't know. You're just going to roll out some unrelated numbers in the hope they make you look less of a trumpet.

I have to inform you, they do not.

Unrelated?  Are you fucking high?

Guest Moomintroll
Can someone explain who this c**t was in a previous incarnation?

Absolutely tedious.
Supras, Peppino Impastato. I have to agree with what he is saying here however, the US womens team is very much an outlier in terms of revenue generation & interest/participation domestically. You can argue that they should be closer in terms of renumeration while on International duty in comparison to the male team but it is madness to expect the same in global terms. The interest levels & hard economic facts dictate that, it may get closer in the future but right now, the pay differentials appear to be right.

31 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
12 hours ago, pandarilla said:
Can someone explain who this c**t was in a previous incarnation?

Absolutely tedious.

Supras, Peppino Impastato. I have to agree with what he is saying here however, the US womens team is very much an outlier in terms of revenue generation & interest/participation domestically. You can argue that they should be closer in terms of renumeration while on International duty in comparison to the male team but it is madness to expect the same in global terms. The interest levels & hard economic facts dictate that, it may get closer in the future but right now, the pay differentials appear to be right.

It will go round in a circle you'd imagine, more people will watch it as it gets on TV more, they'll realise its shite then stop watching it, then new people will start watching it etc.

Hear a lot of blokes banging on (both online and in the pub) about the quality of the football product but I really don't see the argument.

For international games at least it's as much about pride, blood and snotters and the womens' team is more than capable of that.

As for quality I can understand the argument but I've been to more than a few Tartan Army games where the millionaires on the pitch failed to show any signs of that apparent quality and talent. I've also done my time watching Caley in absolute shitfests of games in the lower divisions of Scottish football. Some of them have been absolutely brutal.

I certainly expect to see talent and quality when I watch Messi et al. in the Champions League, but my expectations when I go to a men's domestic game in Scotland are usually rock bottom. Why do the women have to be held to a higher standard?

With all that said, Hope Solo is full of shite - the financials need to add up.

Edited by California_Caley

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Who cares if they get paid the same? It’s not my money.

Total misogyny here.

Whose money is it then?  Where are they going to get it from?  They already get paid proportionally much more than men do, total misandry from you.

I'm a bit pissed off that my band didn't get paid the same as the Rolling Stones everytime we played the Bon Accord in Glasgow. I think we must be owed a good few million pounds by now.
How much money do the US women's team generate for the USSF, and how much do the men generate?

1 minute ago, GordonS said:
18 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:
I'm a bit pissed off that my band didn't get paid the same as the Rolling Stones everytime we played the Bon Accord in Glasgow. I think we must be owed a good few million pounds by now.

How much money do the US women's team generate for the USSF, and how much do the men generate?

I don't know. I thought we were discussing Women's football in general.

If the woman's game generates more income in the US then they should definitely get more money than the men in the US.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:
19 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Hope Solo is talking about world cup prize money.  The USWNT taking US Soccer (or whatever it's called) to court over payment is a separate issue.

I'm pretty sure, world cup's (or potential WC) earning aside, the USWNT take in more than the men. That being the case, the earnings for each squad should absolutely be linked to the revenue generated.

Hope Solo is saying that the lower WC prize money for the women's tournament is evidence of chauvinism. Which is hilariously wrong. The women's world cup doesn't bring in anywhere near the same revenue and so why on earth would the players be paid the same.

You've got the same sort of argument going on in the background (and on a smaller scale) with these calls for equal prizemoney in the FA Cup, or even for Scottish Womens Premiership clubs to be full-time.

At the moment that could only be done by absolutely massive subsidy, i.e. removal of substantial sums from the mens tournaments to fund the womens. If anything that could prove damaging to the financial growth of the womens game, as almost all the money would just be a hand-out totally dwarfing their own income streams - any other revenue source would become comparatively insignificant.

It's not unreasonable that there is a difference when EPL average attendances are 38,000 and FA Womens Superleague are 800 (and have been declining for 3 years), or Scottish Premiership are 16,000 and SWPL maybe 100-odd... and without getting into TV or advertising aspects.

Edited by HibeeJibee

With the exception of the US womens team, pretty much every call for "equal pay" in womens football is utterly mental. Footballers aren't on a fucking pay scale. Nobody on Earth thinks Cove Rangers players 'deserve' to be paid the same as Man City players.

Toni Duggan provided a more realistic opinion in her recent interview with the Guardian:

“I have a strong opinion on it,” Duggan says of the battle in the US, “and I believe they should be doing it because they’re more successful than their men’s team.” But her views on the disparity in England are very different. “Should we be doing it? No. Because we don’t bring in the money that the men do – we’re not as successful as them yet. They bring in a lot more money than us commercially and are more successful. When people ask me: ‘Should I earn the same money as the men?’ No, I don’t believe I should because they’re on a bigger scale than me, they have more fans, are more popular. I believe the girls should be better paid but not the same as the men.”

5 hours ago, GordonS said:
On 08/06/2019 at 18:38, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

What's that got to do with the world cup?