Hope Solo

Kuro

But there’s plenty that clubs can do (and are beginning to do) to help bridge that gap.

I think we all understand that there are fundamental reasons why the wage gap exist in football, and I’m sure Hope Solo knows that more than anyone.

Are you actually looking to discuss these, or are you simply wanting to slag off a woman on the internet?

1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

But there’s plenty that clubs can do (and are beginning to do) to help bridge that gap.

I think we all understand that there are fundamental reasons why the wage gap exist in football, and I’m sure Hope Solo knows that more than anyone.

Are you actually looking to discuss these, or are you simply wanting to slag off a woman on the internet?

Does she?  Is that why she says this gap is due to chauvinism?

Just now, sjc said:

Surely FIFA using money from the men's game to subsidise the women's would be condescending?

They already do, the men's world cup pays for all women's age group tournaments to be hosted.  But subsidising the women's prize money for their WC would surely be so.

9 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Pretty sure the thread only exists because she's shown she doesn't.

She said FIFA is "entrenched in chauvinism" because Womens World Cup prizemoney is £24M whereas World Cup prizemoney is £315M and that "there is no excuse for that in this day and age". Interestingly her actual quotes do not seem to directly reference equal prizemoney - although a lot of the noise generated had been about that. Clearly she wants Womens World Cup monies to be higher though, and given she cites "talent alone and commercial dollars" as putting womens football in "a beautiful place" presumably means greater level of subsidy.

She did rather conflate 2 issues, tbf, as said "we shouldn't be having to take these issues to court and write letters to FIFA": referencing her own class action and the Australian Players Union equal prizes call respectively.

Does she?  Is that why she says this gap is due to chauvinism?

Well it is, if you look long term. Chauvinism in the 19th century where women were denied basic freedoms like the vote when football was kicking off for men, chauvinism 100 years later in the middle of the 20th century when women were still banned from playing in many countries. Chauvinism in the present day where Ada Hegerberg, the best player in the world, was asked to shake her arse like a stripper when collecting the trophy.

All of the above has created a situation where women’s football is 100x less lucrative than men’s. So yes, she’s correct.

There’s nothing wrong with saying that the standard of football’s a bit lower, and that it lacks the passionate support of the men’s game, and that it brings in a lot less money so naturally wages are going to be a lot lower.

It’s chauvinist to suggest that the game can’t improve given the right support.

Was the head of FIFA not admitting last week that they don't do enough for the women's game? He quoted percentages of commercial deals that didn't quite add up (number of viewers versus income from TV deals and sponsors).

I think she's demanding equal percentages of income generated rather than equal pay. Surely?

They should get teh same basic salary and conditions etc, then get an equal share of any 'prize money' earned. So Scotland women should get basic plus prize for getting the world cup. Scotland men should get basic and f**k all else.

Which isn't what Hope Solo thinks obviously but you can't really say fairer than that.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I wonder what will happen when the first transsexual women start playing in woman’s football and completely dominate the sport.
It’ll probably shut down the interest fairly quickly.

Transsexual women will dominate women's sports within 20 years, especially if the salaries and prize money are close to the men's.  

13 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Well it is, if you look long term. Chauvinism in the 19th century where women were denied basic freedoms like the vote when football was kicking off for men, chauvinism 100 years later in the middle of the 20th century when women were still banned from playing in many countries. Chauvinism in the present day where Ada Hegerberg, the best player in the world, was asked to shake her arse like a stripper when collecting the trophy.

All of the above has created a situation where women’s football is 100x less lucrative than men’s. So yes, she’s correct.

There’s nothing wrong with saying that the standard of football’s a bit lower, and that it lacks the passionate support of the men’s game, and that it brings in a lot less money so naturally wages are going to be a lot lower.

It’s chauvinist to suggest that the game can’t improve given the right support.

No she's not.  I'm glad you agree there's nothing wrong with reality, the men's game generates 60-80 times as much money, therefore her claim 'chauvinism' is responsible for the disparity in prize money is clearly utter nonsense and the women are already overpaid.

No she's not.  I'm glad you agree there's nothing wrong with reality, the men's game generates 60-80 times as much money, therefore her claim 'chauvinism' is responsible for the disparity in prize money is clearly utter nonsense and the women are already overpaid.

Would you say that professional women’s football being banned in England from 1921 to 1970 is chauvinist?

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

Would you say that professional women’s football being banned in England from 1921 to 1970 is chauvinist?

I couldn't give a f**k and its of no relevance to WC prize money in 2019.