Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Bass Exhibit

pozbaird

One for like-minded Rush fans on here... I was in Calgary last week, and went to the Canadian National Music Center & Hall of Fame. To tie in with the release of his book, and associated signing sessions, they were hosting an exhibition of Geddy's bass guitars. Took a few photos, so here they are for anyone interested. In the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, they also had one of Neil Peart's drum kits, and I've also added a couple of pics of the Rush wall graphics in the HoF. Hope Rush fans enjoy the photies....

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just noticed this thread Poz. As you may remember i've seen them every time in Glasgow since Hemispheres tour and that must've been a great visit. My son grew up to love them and joined me over the last few tours and I still can't beleive we'll not see them live again. They are in my top three favourites along with AC/DC and early Tangerine Dream.

59 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Did you go? Can't believe I missed this!!

No as it was £55 per ticket which did include a copy of the book (I think that's the RRP of the book). I had already bought the book for £20 from Amazon so I wasn't paying that.If I could have rocked up with my already purchased  book and got that signed I probably would have went

13 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

No as it was £55 per ticket which did include a copy of the book (I think that's the RRP of the book). I had already bought the book for £20 from Amazon so I wasn't paying that.If I could have rocked up with my already purchased  book and got that signed I probably would have went

AAARRRGGGGG.......I would've gone if i'd known about it.😢

Didn’t go to the Geddy Lee signing in Glasgow either. Will make do with one of my favourite memories of the band instead. On the Hemispheres tour, three of us dressed in our suits and ties, and with our albums in briefcases, waltzed past the gaggle of denim-clad fans who were kept out of the hotel, but hoped to grab an autograph if the band came out. We looked like teenage bank clerks, that was the idea. Alex Lifeson was in the hotel bar. We made our approach and politely asked if he would sign our albums. He was very chatty, had a laugh about our approach to get into the hotel, and as he was signing the albums, Geddy Lee turned up. He was friendly enough, not as chatty as Alex, but was happy to sign away too. Then we got lucky, the reticent and much more private Neil Peart appeared from a hotel elevator door. Alex Lifeson beckoned him over, said to him about our ‘bank clerk’ garb to get into the hotel, and how he laughed when we reached into our briefcases and whipped out album covers. Now, I would be lying if I said Neil was chatty, but he gave us a nod and a smile, was happy to sign our albums too. We shook their hands and left them to it.

Fast-forward 40 years, and I still have my Hemispheres red vinyl, Canadian import album, as signed by the band, framed and hung up. There may be reflections, but have just snapped a couple of quick photos. Where on earth did forty years go!?

27FEF070-4374-4F96-979E-42ED33DF36DB.jpeg

2EB8DB58-D508-40E4-B806-B031EDB7D277.jpeg

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Didn’t go to the Geddy Lee signing in Glasgow either. Will make do with one of my favourite memories of the band instead. On the Hemispheres tour, three of us dressed in our suits and ties, and with our albums in briefcases, waltzed past the gaggle of denim-clad fans who were kept out of the hotel, but hoped to grab an autograph if the band came out. We looked like teenage bank clerks, that was the idea. Alex Lifeson was in the hotel bar. We made our approach and politely asked if he would sign our albums. He was very chatty, had a laugh about our approach to get into the hotel, and as he was signing the albums, Geddy Lee turned up. He was friendly enough, not as chatty as Alex, but was happy to sign away too. Then we got lucky, the reticent and much more private Neil Peart appeared from a hotel elevator door. Alex Lifeson beckoned him over, said to him about our ‘bank clerk’ garb to get into the hotel, and how he laughed when we reached into our briefcases and whipped out album covers. Now, I would be lying if I said Neil was chatty, but he gave us a nod and a smile, was happy to sign our albums too. We shook their hands and left them to it.

Fast-forward 40 years, and I still have my Hemispheres red vinyl, Canadian import album, as signed by the band, framed and hung up. There may be reflections, but have just snapped a couple of quick photos. Where on earth did forty years go!?

27FEF070-4374-4F96-979E-42ED33DF36DB.jpeg

2EB8DB58-D508-40E4-B806-B031EDB7D277.jpeg

Nice one mate, I,m not jealous honestly.

27FEF070-4374-4F96-979E-42ED33DF36DB.thumb.jpeg.d40c097738507d58a1e41d4713be0e6f.jpeg
2EB8DB58-D508-40E4-B806-B031EDB7D277.thumb.jpeg.5130c5de6a615dc7d52c82102d31003f.jpeg
You sure it wasn't your school uniform?[emoji3]

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ancientnoise said:

I've never really listened to Rush. Maybe now is the time.

I'll say this though: my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz is easily the best instrument I've ever played. It doesn't just look the part, lets you vary tone in a way that the P-Bass can't, runs fast and it holds a well-played note for about two months if you get it right. 

It's like this, but sunburst:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/04052613534318--fender-geddy-lee-jazz-bass-black

Lots of Rush music on Spotify. Where do I start?

Start with the album ‘Moving Pictures’.

3 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Ta.

If you like ‘Moving Pictures’, after that, I would go to ‘Clockwork Angels’... then take your pick. Just don’t pick ‘Caress of Steel’. If you don’t like ‘Moving Pictures’, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll like Rush at all.

Edited by pozbaird

• 4 years later...

Geddy Lee at the Royal Concert Hall tonight on his ‘book tour’. Quite the thought that in 2023, he’ll be in a Glasgow theatre talking about his life, and right across the street, was the site of the famous theatre in which his band performed almost fifty years ago. FFS. Fifty years.