Annan Athletic 2019/20

6 hours ago, marco44 said:

We’ve been terrible the last few games.
I wish we could play Cove every week emoji85.pngemoji85.pngemoji85.png

Obliterated us well and truly. Try and go easier on us at Balmoral this Saturday! Don’t think I could watch another 6-1 drubbing

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 hours ago, marco44 said:

We’ve been terrible the last few games.
I wish we could play Cove every week emoji85.pngemoji85.pngemoji85.png

Careful what you wish for. They'll be out for revenge at the weekend. Whilst Glass is gone, McAllister is in and they'll have Megginson & Fyvie who weren't at Galabank. With us being so vulnerable lately I fear a payback pummeling!

• 2 weeks later...

Not pressing the panic button just yet but more than a little concerned about what has gone wrong at Galabank since the turn of the year. Six straight defeats conceding 18 and scoring a miserly 3. Relegation form in one word. 

Really need at least a point at Brechin followed up with a win against Albion in next two games to stop the rot. 

Would like to think we can pick up a striker from somewhere as you don't win games without scoring goals!

In general South  football  is  no looking great when you take Annan's  slide doon the table,much like Queens.Stranraer seemed doomed for  League 2 and Gretna  &  Dalbeattie struggling in  the Lowland. In a low wage economy with not a lot of big financial backers available is it going to get worse ? Been a couple o years since I saw a South of Scotland game but  from memory Tommy Muir  is the only  one who has made the step up to Senior  level.Inter school games at Primary & secondary  are more or less non existent ( this  is where the initial competition starts and skills learned) so no surprise really.There is some sterling work done with youth systems outwith  schools ( Annan included) but  for  some reason our area  now  seems a bit of a dead  breeding  ground for Senior  talent.

Edited by the philosopher
Additional point

In general South  football  is  no looking great when you take Annan's  slide doon the table,much like Queens.Stranraer seemed doomed for  League 2 and Gretna  &  Dalbeattie struggling in  the Lowland. In a low wage economy with not a lot of big financial backers available is it going to get worse ? Been a couple o years since I saw a South of Scotland game but  from memory Tommy Muir  is the only  one who has made the step up to Senior  level.Inter school games at Primary & secondary  are more or less non existent ( this  is where the initial competition starts and skills learned) so no surprise really.There is some sterling work done with youth systems outwith  schools ( Annan included) but  for  some reason our area  now  seems a bit of a dead  breeding  ground for Senior  talent.

Really liked post everything you said is true .
Do you think the right people are running annan ( a lot of queens of fans want board changes but can’t see it happening)
Who runs annan now anyway in my opinion they miss ex chairman henry Mclelland
I made a comment a couple of weeks ago saying annan are going backwards

Annan are totally fan  owned (a cic - community  interest  company, I think you call it ) - anyone can buy a share for £10 a year.
A bit of a thankless task and  there is  never  a rush of  people to stand for the Board.

Was not sure if that was completed as it is never advertised as this could be a way forward

Whichever way you  go it is an uphill task for  "ordinary"  clubs to flourish ,as football is rotten to the core wi money - which  starts at the English Premier League.New  online  streaming of matches may  soon burst this  bubble if  subscribers adopt  this alternative way of  watching the matches  they want to see. Then again this may add to the pressure for a European Superleague.In this  modern world  nothing stands still for  too long,changes come faster than  ever.

On 11/02/2020 at 13:49, the philosopher said:

In general South  football  is  no looking great when you take Annan's  slide doon the table,much like Queens.Stranraer seemed doomed for  League 2 and Gretna  &  Dalbeattie struggling in  the Lowland. In a low wage economy with not a lot of big financial backers available is it going to get worse ? 

You could head East and include Berwick, or look over the border and find Carlisle at the bottom end of league 2.

Is it going to get worse? I fear yes. With more ex (and soon to be ex) Junior teams located in greater population hubs with bigger fan bases working their way up the pyramid it's going to be much harder for teams like Annan and Stranraer to attract and keep players, and it's already hard enough.

I dont really know what the solution is, just have to hope the wee teams in the South survive in the league system long enough to enjoy competing with the bigger teams when they arrive rather than being replaced by them.

DG Roma - your point on teams from areas with larger population bases is very apt. Edinburgh City and Cove have taken their places in the SPFL and have a decent recruitment area. Berwick are isolated, and will struggle to return, as are Brechin and Annan. You have to wonder what the future is for wee teams like this (add in Stranraer). We could see a completely different bottom league in 5 or so years as potentially teams with little in the way of fan base or even infrastructure, but with cash, displace those without cash in relatively isolated areas. Do Caledonian Braves not have being in the top league in 10 years as their goal? Two weeks ago they had 75 in attendance for their derby with BSC.

It's a shame that teams who do represent an area are very much at risk, but that's the way of the fitba world now.

Some excellent points particularly regarding the introduction of the ex-junior teams into the league pyramid. They will be breathing down our necks soon enough not to mention those from the Highland League. It's only a matter of time before teams like Kelty Hearts and East Kilbride - who seem to be well financed - are promoted.

If the last year at Annan has proved anything it's that we cant compete financially with those around us at the moment. We lost some important players in the summer and unfortunately those who replaced them haven't really clicked at all. The same story seems to apply at those around us like Queens and Stranraer. I think over the next decade teams in this area will find ourselves playing at much lower levels.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

With both Rangers & Celtic playing away that weekend in the Cup QPFC have decided to have the gate price for all marked to just Five Scottish Pounds in teh hope of drawing a big crowd. Annan fans are the lucky winners! The Club will be open for your loose change too. All welcome.

IMG-20200216-WA0000.jpg

Never mind paying £5 for this. We  really should be getting money to watch the substandard level of football seen this year. 

PS is there a different price if you don't want frisked by the QP stewards?