UEFA Champions League 2019-20

45 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Of course City do some good things in their community. Most football clubs do these days. Also, if I had a bottomless pit of money and was attempting to launder my public reputation and wanted to divert attention from myself I would also fund some local projects to get people onside. It works. You are proof of this.

I'm sure the wee Nepalese guys kept in a constant state of indentured servitude in the Gulf States with no hope of returning home or being paid for their labour lie down at night after a 16 hour shift, close their eyes, and think "Aye but at least some weans from Moss Side get a breakfast club during school term"

But, as you said, it's working on a lot of folk

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Again, this argument all boils down to "a handful of clubs were allowed to do something terrible in the past, therefore all other clubs should also be allowed to in perpetuity".

Anyway, Chelsea (just like Man City) were always a big club by English standards with a pretty big latent support - they reached a Champions League quarter-final three years before Abramovich took over. Their profile at that time would be no different to someone like Spurs, who have been able to thrust themselves into that category of clubs whilst remaining pretty self-sustaining.

Chelsea were doing it on the never-never.  The reason why Abramovich (of Jewish extraction) bought Chelsea (the most anti-semitic support in England) was because they were so far in debt that Bates was desperate to sell, and sell quickly.  Abramovich looked at Spurs but they were making too much money to get rid of the cash cow. 

Bates had taken a loan secured on the next 20 years' worth of season ticket sales.  Had it not been for Abramovich, Chelsea would have done a Leeds, but far, far harder, with far less room to come back.

My goodness.
Manchester City were previously one of the most well-liked clubs in England. They now have a very good team, a well-respected coach, arguably one of the best players in the world in their team and are widely admired as a football team.
The idea that people who have a problem with how they have built that team have an anti-City agenda is cheap. I have a pro-football agenda. Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc all operate models that are bad for football. I can only assume that you are happy for top level football to essentially become a one-upmanship contest between the world's most cashed-up human rights abusers and kleptocrats?
Of course City do some good things in their community. Most football clubs do these days. Also, if I had a bottomless pit of money and was attempting to launder my public reputation and wanted to divert attention from myself I would also fund some local projects to get people onside. It works. You are proof of this.
Even if City's regime were not of dubious ethical standing (which they are), the idea of even a good person with an umblemished background turning up and simply pouring money into a club's transfer budget is surely not something any football fan could welcome. Are we saying that it's a good thing that moneyed-elites can be challenged by wealthy individuals? Whose side are the good guys on in that fight? And that's before we even consider the fact that rarely do these investors seem to come into football with unblemished character.
I for one eagerly anticipate a run of UAE or Saudi Arabia v Qatar Champions League finals.

What a load of total drivel!
Show me any evidence of laundering money at City?
I rather suspect I know an awful lot more than you do about the financial side of City having spent time working around it’s business operations.
Also the idea that all that’s happening is investing in a few local projects is laughable. The whole infrastructure of areas of East Manchester have been totally transformed.
Pretty much the usual on here from posters that don’t like the fact that certain clubs have become too big and powerful. I do kinda get that.
However, Lots of people on here with eloquent words but empty meaning and nothing to back it up.
I’ll place you in that bracket.....

Guest JTS98
15 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

What a load of total drivel!
Show me any evidence of laundering money at City?
I rather suspect I know an awful lot more than you do about the financial side of City having spent time working around it’s business operations.
Also the idea that all that’s happening is investing in a few local projects is laughable. The whole infrastructure of areas of East Manchester have been totally transformed.
Pretty much the usual on here from posters that don’t like the fact that certain clubs have become too big and powerful. I do kinda get that.
However, Lots of people on here with eloquent words but empty meaning and nothing to back it up.
I’ll place you in that bracket.....

You might want to read a little more carefully. I never suggested money laundering at all.

You seem desperate to paint everyone as being out to get Man City. I don't really have an opinion on Man City beyond their ownership model. I couldn't care less. I don't support an English team. I have barely any interest in English football whatsoever. Whether Man City or Liverpool or Man United or Wycombe Wanderers or Melchester Rovers win the Premier League is of almost no interest to me.

What I think all football fans should be concerned about is what the sport is being used for. If you don't see what's going on at Man City (and other clubs) in terms of reputation laundering, then I can only imagine you are willfully closing your eyes to it.

What's your view on PSG?

Beyond the well established fact that Man City are owned by complete wronguns, I find it baffling why any football fan would support the model of ownership they represent, even if their owners were good guys.

There's also a be careful what you wish for.  The Saudis will agree to terminate their illegal streams and buy Newcastle.  They will then use that clout to buy the tv rights for the Middle East.  Then they will buy the entire Man City squad because otherwise the mad heir will bar Emiraitis from the hajj or something.  And then Man City bandwagoners will complain about how it's all unfair and Newcastle are breaching FFP.

Guest DAVIDB69
Tempted by Atletico to win the whole thing at 8/1

Have them in a double with Sevilla in the Europa from the beginning of the season.

I do the same bet every year it was minutes from coming off the year the two Madrid’s met in the final

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Have them in a double with Sevilla in the Europa from the beginning of the season.

I do the same bet every year it was minutes from coming off the year the two Madrid’s met in the final

Ooft man that must've hurt. Not to make you feel worse but I stuck a tenner on them so it's no happening.

On 20/07/2020 at 21:07, DAVIDB69 said:

Price did you get on that mate? I think Barca at 11s is a good bet. I know they've been poor recently but they've got talent and this will be their last real chance without dramatic changes. 

Barca are also 5/1 to reach the final. 100/30 for a Spanish team to win it too. Just incase you want to cover Atletico. Best of luck! 

• 3 weeks later...