UEFA Champions League 2019-20

Leipzig and Atletico (along with Lyon if they got through) were my preferences for Atalanta out of the sides left. Get past PSG and that's an unbelievable chance at the final.

18 minutes ago, Kris. said:

Leipzig and Atletico (along with Lyon if they got through) were my preferences for Atalanta out of the sides left. Get past PSG and that's an unbelievable chance at the final.

There will be a team who has never won it in the final regardless now due to the draw.

I'd love to see a new winner and it would be great if it was Atlanta, Leipzeig or Atletico were to win it, sadly I don't see Napoli or Lyon getting to the final from their draw.

Interesting draw. I wonder how much impact the lack of matches will have on PSG. Atalanta with 11 wins in a row at the moment at will be playing in Serie A until about 10 days before  the PSG match - if Atalanta beat Juve tomorrow they could even conceivably have an outside shot at the title in Italy. 

Good draw for Atletico, especially with Werner gone for Leipzig. Atleti unbeaten in 15 and pretty much fully fit for the first time this season, playing some lovely football and scoring goals in the process. 

Would love it to be Atleti's year, but resigned to the fact that if they make the final they'll find a way to lose to Juve so Ronaldo can knock them out for the zillionth time in a row. 

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Good news. It's a stupid fucking rule designed to prevent any new challengers to the respective financial domination of clubs like Liverpool, Man United, Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Would be happy to see it scrapped.

It's not good news at all because it will remain in place except for teams that can afford to buy their way out of it.

10 million euro fine is insulting tbh. Seen it commented elsewhere, it's like stealing a car, getting fined 5% of the value of the car and then getting to keep it anyway.

The rule is an exercise of self-preservation for the elite. Brought in by an ex-Juventus player, terrified of some Italian club doing a Man City and actually being able to challenge Juventus.

The Football League policy I can, at least, see that the intention could be good. It's designed to stop clubs going bust, though doesn't seem to be working judging by Bury, Bolton and the like.

The UEFA rule is, and was always, about maintaining the status quo. They got terrified when Man City started challenging their hegemony and put in place a rule to prevent it ever happening again.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Good news. It's a stupid fucking rule designed to prevent any new challengers to the respective financial domination of clubs like Liverpool, Man United, Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Would be happy to see it scrapped.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

It's not good news at all because it will remain in place except for teams that can afford to buy their way out of it.

10 million euro fine is insulting tbh. Seen it commented elsewhere, it's like stealing a car, getting fined 5% of the value of the car and then getting to keep it anyway.

FFP is designed to cement the status quo ie keep Barca, Real, Bayern Juventus etc. as the top dogs.

The only way to challenge these top clubs is to have serious financial backing like Man City and PSG have. Teams like Atletico and Spurs are trying to challenge is a more sustained way and grow to a point where they can match these giants but they never quite get there.

The question is do you want to see different challengers at the top of the game or do you want to see the same teams challenging every year? 

The one thing worse than having the same big clubs across Europe dominate everything, is having teams getting £1bn+ pumped in on a purely arbitrary basis, then dominating everything.

3 minutes ago, Gnash said:

The one thing worse than having the same big clubs across Europe dominate everything, is having teams getting £1bn+ pumped in on a purely arbitrary basis, then dominating everything.

I agree but it happens anyway. Is Bayern dominating the Bundesliga better than PSG dominating ligue 1?

It is extremely rare for the teams winning leagues not to also be the richest. 

34 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The Football League policy I can, at least, see that the intention could be good. It's designed to stop clubs going bust, though doesn't seem to be working judging by Bury, Bolton and the like.

Because enforcement was gash.  Why were Bury allowed to play one single game when the League had not approved the new owner?  Why did nobody enforce the rules against Bolton when they were £180m in debt and STILL buying players?

This is the problem though when those enforcing are massively outspent by the clubs they are supposedly enforcing - and when the clubs write the rules to suit themselves.  Football needs independent regulation.  Like monopolies.