UEFA Champions League 2019-20

No surprise to see Klopp utterly classless in defeat.

Atletico "dont play proper football", apparently. Also adds that its "not right" that Liverpool were knocked out by a team who "sit deep with two banks of four".

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Brilliant tonight. Michael Owen is just a wee fat whinging shite. Still the best team in Europe. Atlético will be sitting in their saying what a great team we just beat.. Hahahaha course they will Michael!

f**k the scouse minks  🤗

Don’t mind the usual Lolverpool chat but they are probably still the best team in Europe that had a bad night last night where missing their usual keeper clearly cost them.  Their front 3 were misfiring all night as were their fullbacks who are usually superb and they were still all over Atletico throughout and were an individual mistake away from going through. 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

but they are probably still the best team in Europe that had a bad night last night 

In 150 minutes of football they scored two goals less than their opposition. They were beaten 3-2 at home and 1-0 away. 

They're an enjoyable team to watch, no doubt. They clearly aren't the best team in Europe though, as Atleti showed last night. 

32 minutes ago, throbber said:

Don’t mind the usual Lolverpool chat but they are probably still the best team in Europe that had a bad night last night where missing their usual keeper clearly cost them.  Their front 3 were misfiring all night as were their fullbacks who are usually superb and they were still all over Atletico throughout and were an individual mistake away from going through. 

If Atleti didn't make an individual mistake for Wijnaldum's goal they would have put Liverpool out without Liverpool scoring a goal over two games.  

They also missed several chances in the home leg to make it 2-0.  That was a Simeone masterclass, Klopp just got done by the best defensive team in the world.  Both legs played out pretty much exactly how Atleti planned.

In 150 minutes of football they scored two goals less than their opposition. They were beaten 3-2 at home and 1-0 away. 
They're an enjoyable team to watch, no doubt. They clearly aren't the best team in Europe though, as Atleti showed last night. 

I didn’t realise that taking away context in a footie forum and simply quoting the score was all it was about. Makes match forums utterly pointless.

In the same vein as when folk were bizarrely claiming City were the best team in Europe last season, despite the best possible measure of this (European Football) being a measure they regularly fall short on.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Apart from English media bias, what actually makes Liverpool the best team in Europe?

The best teams are teams that win consistently, over many years, such as Real and Barca. They have won numerous league titles, numerous Champions League trophies, they play immense football that’s good to watch. They are the ones that can claim an unlucky off-night because they are always up there. 

Liverpool are none of that. They played great football last year In the CL and will come away with the league this year, but they aren’t consistent and you can already see the team running out of legs. They are a great European team but there is honestly nothing to the claim they are the best in Europe at this point.

51 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I didn’t realise that taking away context in a footie forum and simply quoting the score was all it was about. Makes match forums utterly pointless.

Every day is a school day, Freemason. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Apart from English media bias, what actually makes Liverpool the best team in Europe?

The best teams are teams that win consistently, over many years, such as Real and Barca. They have won numerous league titles, numerous Champions League trophies, they play immense football that’s good to watch. They are the ones that can claim an unlucky off-night because they are always up there. 

Liverpool are none of that. They played great football last year In the CL and will come away with the league this year, but they aren’t consistent and you can already see the team running out of legs. They are a great European team but there is honestly nothing to the claim they are the best in Europe at this point.

Nailed it.

Confuses me that people seem to claim this Liverpool side is "one of the greats", tbh. Had the incredible situation where a show on Sky had a "pick your best 11" from the EPL era and this Liverpool side dominated. Man United treble winners absolutely rinses it in every single aspect apart from the unbeaten run.

Nailed it.
Confuses me that people seem to claim this Liverpool side is "one of the greats", tbh. Had the incredible situation where a show on Sky had a "pick your best 11" from the EPL era and this Liverpool side dominated. Man United treble winners absolutely rinses it in every single aspect apart from the unbeaten run.
Its no slight on this Liverpool team to say that they have achieved more than the sum of their parts.

But for that reason, very few of the team if any would get into an EPL 11 IMO.

I mean I have slagged Jordan Henderson plenty, and deservedly so, but for whatever reason he is integral to this side. Hes never getting in any sort of dream team though.

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Not sure where to begin here.

I was responding to a poster who was laughing at Owen for saying he believed Liverpool were still the best team in Europe RIGHT NOW. If you are talking about right now as in the last couple of weeks then maybe not, but if you are talking about right now as in the players they have at moment, the manager and their current set up then who is better than them in Europe? This current team got in 2 champions league finals in a row,  they are still the holders of the Champions league and the world club cup and have gone on an incredible run domestically only losing 2 league games since August 2018 - you can easily argue with that they are the team to beat in Europe based on that.

You then go on to say they aren’t consistent despite getting into 2 champions league finals in a row , winning one of them and having an incredible unbeaten run on top of that and compare them to Barcelona who have only got to 2 CL finals in 10 years? 

10 hours ago, throbber said:

on top of that and compare them to Barcelona who have only got to 2 CL finals in 10 years? 

The same amount as Liverpool - yet they've won many, many league titles in that time too. On top of the two Champions League wins. 

Out of interest, did you have Liverpool down to win the Champions League this year? 

The same amount as Liverpool - yet they've won many, many league titles in that time too. On top of the two Champions League wins. 
Out of interest, did you have Liverpool down to win the Champions League this year? 

I actually had Man City for the CL and Liverpool for the league. I don’t even like Liverpool but prefer them to Chelsea/City for sure.

I enjoy laughing at English clubs when they get knocked out in Europe like most on here, Spurs were clearly exposed for being a bang average side but It wasn’t the case with Liverpool and I don’t think it was laughable for Owen to say they are still the best team in Europe at this current time.

20 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t think it was laughable for Owen to say they are still the best team in Europe at this current time.

But what you actually said was :

22 hours ago, throbber said:

but they are probably still the best team in Europe that had a bad night last night where missing their usual keeper clearly cost them.  Their front 3 were misfiring all night 

As in you believe it. Then you've admitted you thought Man City would win it (making them the best in Europe, in theory.) 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

But what you actually said was :

As in you believe it. Then you've admitted you thought Man City would win it (making them the best in Europe, in theory.) 

Yeah , I did say probably though as I know it’s a debatable claim. I thought City would be much better than they have been this season but focus more on the CL to the point that they slipped up during the run in to the end of the season and Liverpool would win by a couple of points, didn’t see the title race being over by Xmas time though.

On 12/03/2020 at 18:25, throbber said:

You then go on to say they aren’t consistent despite getting into 2 champions league finals in a row , winning one of them and having an incredible unbeaten run on top of that and compare them to Barcelona who have only got to 2 CL finals in 10 years? 

I did not compare them to Barcelona, I said Real & Barcelona. Real have won 4 of the last 6 Champions Leagues and Barcelona won one of those Real didn’t.  They are both consistent winners of their league as well. They are the absolute dominating force in Europe and are the teams people see as hardest to beat.

Given that Liverpool have now been pumped out of all the tournaments they can be this season and only have the Premiership left, you can’t even argue they are dominant in England. They are not invincible season (like Arsenal) or treble winners (like Man City).

There is honestly nothing to justify ever considering them as being the best team in Europe. 

I did not compare them to Barcelona, I said Real & Barcelona. Real have won 4 of the last 6 Champions Leagues and Barcelona won one of those Real didn’t.  They are both consistent winners of their league as well. They are the absolute dominating force in Europe and are the teams people see as hardest to beat.
Given that Liverpool have now been pumped out of all the tournaments they can be this season and only have the Premiership left, you can’t even argue they are dominant in England. They are not invincible season (like Arsenal) or treble winners (like Man City).

There is honestly nothing to justify ever considering them as being the best team in Europe. 

But I was still arguing the team right now as in since Klopp has got it right with the current set of players that play most weeks. Who in Europe is better then than right now?

They have got far more points domestically than the Arsenal invincible or the Man Utd treble winning team and have got an obscene points return consistently over two seasons. Based on their team selections they aren’t that arsed about the FA cup so it’s not really a fair comparison to the Utd treble winning team 21 seasons ago either.

As for your last point - they are the current holders of the CL so they kind of do have a small shout for the best team in Europe based on that.

27 minutes ago, Dele said:

Atleti, who just beat them twice in two games. Convincingly.

I’m not giving you the convincingly part, you turned it off after Firminhos goal as you clearly thought the tie was over by that point.