UEFA Champions League 2019-20

Splendid game tonight and an utter disaster from the Liverpool GK.

Maybe it's just my age (37 and have only a neutral spectator's interest in English fitba) but the utter glee at Liverpool's failure tonight on this forum is a bit cringeworthy. The "grief merchant" patter is fuckin horrific imo.

Anyhow. Marvellous from Simeone. I love him as a manager (as a player he was a shithousing dirty b*****d and tbf I loved him then too).

Some amount of goals so far in this round. The Atalanta game was a throwback to the kind of scores you got in the 1950's.

41 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

As if Atletico would be intimidated at Anfield.

Exactly. A couple of champions league finals over the past 5-6 years, and trips to Barcelona and Real Madrid every season, but Anfield's going to terrify them.. f**k off.

Brilliant tonight. Michael Owen is just a wee fat whinging shite. Still the best team in Europe. Atlético will be sitting in their saying what a great team we just beat.. Hahahaha course they will Michael!

f**k the scouse minks  🤗

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Their form has been abysmal. It has been a month long slump. Even though they had enough to edge Norwich, West Ham and Bournemouth the level of performance hasn't been there at all.

Yeah I saw the West Ham game, it was a combination of Liverpool shaking themselves awake, poor goalkeeping from West Ham, and luck. You could see that if they kept playing like that they would come unstuck.

The really successful sides in England under Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger and Guardiola all rotated their squads early in the season to keep themselves fresh for the business end. Liverpool picked TAA, Robertson, Gomez, Van Dijk, Henderson, Salah, Firminio and Mane every single time, and up front they've become wasteful and sluggish. They are fortunate that Man City have been quite so poor, because any lead in single digits now would start to look less-than-impregnable.

This Liverpool squad are still learning though, and once they get that monkey off their back and win the league they'll be under less pressure to field the best possible side every single game.

Also - tiny margins. Last season they should have been put out by Barcelona, but they were an inch here and there from winning the league. I still think Kompany's goal against Leicester was a fluke. Tonight, if Adrian doesn't fluff the kick out and if he's set properly for the shot; if Robertson's header off the bar goes in, Liverpool probably go through. At that level it's all death or glory.

57 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yeah I saw the West Ham game, it was a combination of Liverpool shaking themselves awake, poor goalkeeping from West Ham, and luck. You could see that if they kept playing like that they would come unstuck.

The really successful sides in England under Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger and Guardiola all rotated their squads early in the season to keep themselves fresh for the business end. Liverpool picked TAA, Robertson, Gomez, Van Dijk, Henderson, Salah, Firminio and Mane every single time, and up front they've become wasteful and sluggish. They are fortunate that Man City have been quite so poor, because any lead in single digits now would start to look less-than-impregnable.

This Liverpool squad are still learning though, and once they get that monkey off their back and win the league they'll be under less pressure to field the best possible side every single game.

Also - tiny margins. Last season they should have been put out by Barcelona, but they were an inch here and there from winning the league. I still think Kompany's goal against Leicester was a fluke. Tonight, if Adrian doesn't fluff the kick out and if he's set properly for the shot; if Robertson's header off the bar goes in, Liverpool probably go through. At that level it's all death or glory.

But they picked all them all the way through last season when they won the Champions League and were brilliant all the way to the end of the league. I really don't think that explains why their performances have dropped in February/March.

I think it's partly coming back after the winter break so far ahead that they lost that edge. Probably a subconscious thing where if you aren't being pushed and you know you don't really have to win that game you don't quite produce the same level. It was really obvious in the Watford match where the players were not pressing with intensity or being aggressive. They looked like they thought they would just turn up and stroll it, like the West Ham game too. I also think that makes it harder to lift your game in Europe, whereas we saw the opposite last year when they had to be on it every week domestically and that rolled into Europe.

20 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

But they picked all them all the way through last season when they won the Champions League and were brilliant all the way to the end of the league. I really don't think that explains why their performances have dropped in February/March.

I think it's partly coming back after the winter break so far ahead that they lost that edge. Probably a subconscious thing where if you aren't being pushed and you know you don't really have to win that game you don't quite produce the same level. It was really obvious in the Watford match where the players were not pressing with intensity or being aggressive. They looked like they thought they would just turn up and stroll it, like the West Ham game too. I also think that makes it harder to lift your game in Europe, whereas we saw the opposite last year when they had to be on it every week domestically and that rolled into Europe.

This ain't FIFA mate, they don't go back to full stamina when the new season starts.

Maybe running players into the ground for 2 straight years has finally taken its toll.

Someone drag Rab back in. What a performance. What a fucking side.

You are basically Rab.

f**k off you shite flinging nonce 

Wow. [emoji15]

If only there were a thread for this sort of overreaction to a post celebrating the fine work of Diego the master b*****d.

It's weird that we're essentially just watching dead football for a tournament that won't reach a conclusion.

Still funny though.
I would be astonished if they just completely cancelled the tournament. It might get delayed for a while, but I'd fully expect it to be completed.

9 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

This games proves why football without fans is nothing

absolutely spot on - wouldn't have been anything like as enjoyable without the regular cut-away shots showing increasingly distraught scousers throughout extra time

absolutely spot on - wouldn't have been anything like as enjoyable without the regular cut-away shots showing increasingly distraught scousers throughout extra time
The anguish on the faces of the gargoyles screaming at Simeone as he bolted down the touchline to celebrate with the Atleti fans was absolutely sumptuous.