UEFA Champions League 2019-20

53 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Every time I watch Spurs I wonder what the point of Harry Winks is, yet the English media think he's the key to their national side.

He's just not particularly good at anything in particular - pretty average passing, doesn't seem to break the lines very often, doesn't score or assist. A nothing player. 

By your logic, so is La Liga.  Atalanta won 8-4 against Valencia. 
Valencia were seeded in the last 16 but Spurs were not.
Why were Spurs not seeded? Was it:

A) Random chance
B) Because they weren't good enough to win their group, and got absolutely shafted at home by Bayern Munich?

He's just not particularly good at anything in particular - pretty average passing, doesn't seem to break the lines very often, doesn't score or assist. A nothing player. 

Pretty much how I feel about Dele every time I see him. Don’t know what Mourinho is expected to do with this Spurs side at best of times and he hasn’t exactly been helped by the injury situation.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Pretty much how I feel about Dele every time I see him. Don’t know what Mourinho is expected to do with this Spurs side at best of times and he hasn’t exactly been helped by the injury situation.

Surely you'd expect a level of organisation and a half decent plan to nullify the opposition if the quality isn't in the squad to compete? Effective parking of the bus if you will. The players just don't look interested in playing.

He's taken a team which had issues and made them worse somehow. This could very well be Mourinho's last big job if he doesn't make some drastic changes to the squad and his organisation of them.

Fully agree about Winks and Alli though, if they weren't English they would be absolutely pilloried.

Watching the game back again, one key difference seemed to be that Spurs almost always tried to play the ball directly to another Spurs player, so we got the standard English studied build up leading to a couple of decent chances over the 90 minutes.

Leipzig on the other hand (and I didn’t notice it so much when watching the game live) seemed to try to pass the ball into spaces that another Leipzig player could move into. Don’t know how their manager managed to coach that into so many of his players, but it certainly seems to be key to how they could zip the ball forward so quickly and effectively.

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Watching the game back again, one key difference seemed to be that Spurs almost always tried to play the ball directly to another Spurs player, so we got the standard English studied build up leading to a couple of decent chances over the 90 minutes.

Leipzig on the other hand (and I didn’t notice it so much when watching the game live) seemed to try to pass the ball into spaces that another Leipzig player could move into. Don’t know how their manager managed to coach that into so many of his players, but it certainly seems to be key to how they could zip the ball forward so quickly and effectively.

Exactly this. Leipzig seemed to always find a man or at least force the Spurs defenders in to making a decision with each pass. Lots of movement.

Spurs were so static.

Exactly this. Leipzig seemed to always find a man or at least force the Spurs defenders in to making a decision with each pass. Lots of movement.
Spurs were so static.

Werner was in behind Dier constantly in the first half, his electric pace absolutely destroyed him. I’d play Dier more as a defensive midfielder, just don’t see him as a CB

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Why were Spurs not seeded? Was it:

A) Random chance
B) Because they weren't good enough to win their group, and got absolutely shafted at home by Bayern Munich?

So you think that Spurs should have been able to beat Bayern and top their group?

Pochettino had clearly lost the plot and should have been sacked that night.

Will stick with the Liverpool game, but don’t think it’ll be one of those vintage European Anfield nights.

There certainly seems to be a huge slice of self doubt creeping it’s way into Liverpool, and I think it’s justified. Andy Robertson now spends most of his time checking back and playing a simple pass infield. Firmino can’t buy a goal, Salah is treading water a bit, and only Mané is still performing at his best.

Arnold too has slipped back a couple of notches, and his old flaw of ball watching has crept back into his game. Hope they don’t but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they blew it tonight, but AM might not be good enough to take advantage of Liverpool’s vulnerabilities.

Should be an interesting watch, but don’t think it’ll be a great game.

Cue great game.......

Don't fancy Atleti at all tonight, been rancid away from home all season and a lot of players returning from injury recently.

Would absolutely love to see them put the scousers out though. 

2 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Hargreaves commentates like he’s with his mate down the boozer. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s sitting there with a pint of Tennent’s. 

I'm stuck with Scouser McManaman who is commentating on BT Sport.

What are you watching?