UEFA Champions League 2019-20

He’ll be away to Juve.

Aye very possibly. I wouldn’t be surprised if that were to happen.

Can't see it, tbh. If he leaves City (which I don't think he will) I reckon it'll be another sabbatical for him from football. 

Then Juve after a year off.

I could think of worse things than 12 months in Manhattan as a multi millionaire.

Or Miami?

You of all people can’t judge another club ‘morally’ mate.

It’s not Rab ya arse! [emoji1]

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Requiring football clubs to be self sufficient should be in the interest of everyone. I don't understand why people think any financial fair play rules are a bad thing. The implementations might not always be great, but the idea is sound. Every time a football club goes down the pan because of dodgy owners, folk say "how did the authorities let this happen", but then when the authorities bring in the sort of rules that might stop it, folk are up in arms.

It wasn't introduced to stop teams going bust. It was introduced entirely to maintain the elite as they were. An ex-Juventus player acting in the interests of Juventus, and terrified of an Italian version of Man City or PSG coming along.

Either manage clubs' finances properly, with a proper salary cap that maintains genuine competition, or allow a free for all as happened for the first 140 years of so of professional football.

The halfway house is the worst of both worlds, and just makes it more and more difficult for a "new" club to challenge the usual suspects. Because that was the entire idea.

To simplify my argument... Rab is probably delighted by this news. Therefore it is obviously bad for football and, indeed, all of humanity.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

The idea that Platini (or anyone else) had the scope to unilaterally decide to bring in these rules is nonsense - it was a reaction to clubs chucking about ludicrous sums and several of them ending up in financial problems, and had as much to do with Unirea Urziceni or Anzhi Makhachkala as it did with Man City or PSG. The FFP rules allow clubs to spend as much as they want on infrastructure, so if a "new" club want to make a breakthrough then they can still spend their money on that side of things and actually build their club, rather than the sort of financial doping that Chelsea, PSG and Man City amongst others have indulged in.

Having new clubs challenging the usual suspects isn't really a good thing if those "upstarts" are some vacuous petrodollar-backed outfit that could literally have been dumped in any city in Europe. Football can and should do more to encourage competition, but it should be the likes of Ajax, Porto and Basel that benefit, not the morally bankrupt clubs like City.

Ajax, Porto and Basel are never going to challenge unless there is a massive restructuring of how prize money works, or they spend loads of money like Man City have.

The law is a nonsense it is, quite clearly, a bunch of clubs acting as a cartel to protect their interest. It should be outlawed.

On a selfish level, if they are going to introduce such a rule, it shouldn't be halfway through a season. We have played Man City twice when they were desperate to win. Now our relegation rivals will get to play them in matches that Man City don't give a toss about. It damages the integrity of the league.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Ajax, Porto and Basel are never going to challenge unless there is a massive restructuring of how prize money works, or they spend loads of money like Man City have.

The law is a nonsense it is, quite clearly, a bunch of clubs acting as a cartel to protect their interest. It should be outlawed.

On a selfish level, if they are going to introduce such a rule, it shouldn't be halfway through a season. We have played Man City twice when they were desperate to win. Now our relegation rivals will get to play them in matches that Man City don't give a toss about. It damages the integrity of the league.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 04.14.16.png

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 04.13.59.png

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

What damages the integrity of leagues is the shocking financial disparity.

I agree that we're in a rubbishy half-way house at the moment, but I see no reason to shed tears because a club's owners have simply spent themselves senseless to a level their club cannot afford. As a Hearts supporter, I don't think that's ok.

You're right that it's not enough, though. I'm all for salary caps and frankly find it incredible that anyone would ever argue against them. Football is a sport. There is meant to be more to it than how much money you can spend.

10 hours ago, nsr said:

I see absolutely zero chance that Man City will not be in the Chumpions League next season.

People said something very similar about the transfer bans imposed on the likes of Chelsea and Atletico Madrid. If the appeal process is exhausted before the CL begins then I think Man City will more likely than not be out of the competition for a year. UEFA as well as the other big clubs really are not going to miss the magic of a half-empty Etihad ten times per season.

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Ajax were about 10 seconds away from a Champions League final last season, and Porto are knock-out stage regulars who reached the quarter-final last year and were knocked out by the eventual winners.

The rule wasn't introduced halfway through a season - the rule has been in place for several years. Man City just happened to be found guilty now.

Ok then, "never" compete was wrong. They can compete about once every thirty years, then lose all their players to megarich clubs who supported FFP to maintain their financial advantage.

The rules were bought in by UEFA run by an ex-Juventus player, the people most loudly supporting them were the Chairmen of Bayern Munich and Arsenal. The first person to publicly celebrate Man City's ban was the head of La Liga... a Real Madrid supporter. The FFP rules were signed off by the European Club Association. This includes Man United and Liverpool but Man City were denied a place.

You can go on believing that all these clubs are just really, really concerned about all the smaller clubs struggling financially and want to protect them. Despite every action they've ever taken before or since being done for selfish reasons. The creation of the Premier League, the guarantee of Champions League Group places for all the big leagues, ensuring that Barcelona and Real Madrid take the vast majority of TV money from La Liga, and so on.

I'll go on believing that the same clubs didn't have a one-off Damascene Conversion to caring about the poor when FFP was introduced, and actually wanted the rules brought in to maintain their status quo. Because that's what it was all about.

There are always quirks towards the end of the season where teams get an easier ride against particular opponents whose season turns out to be over by the time the match happens. That’s not a lack of integrity that’s just good or bad luck.

I remember Hearts missing out on Europe after Celtic, with the title in the bag and a cup final the following weekend, lost to Kilmarnock and in our 2015 championship season. For that matter Hearts, weeks after securing the 2015 championship, salvaged a late draw against a Cowdenbeath side who they’d beaten 10-0 in their previous meeting.

Ok then, "never" compete was wrong. They can compete about once every thirty years, then lose all their players to megarich clubs who supported FFP to maintain their financial advantage.
The rules were bought in by UEFA run by an ex-Juventus player, the people most loudly supporting them were the Chairmen of Bayern Munich and Arsenal. The first person to publicly celebrate Man City's ban was the head of La Liga... a Real Madrid supporter. The FFP rules were signed off by the European Club Association. This includes Man United and Liverpool but Man City were denied a place.
You can go on believing that all these clubs are just really, really concerned about all the smaller clubs struggling financially and want to protect them. Despite every action they've ever taken before or since being done for selfish reasons. The creation of the Premier League, the guarantee of Champions League Group places for all the big leagues, ensuring that Barcelona and Real Madrid take the vast majority of TV money from La Liga, and so on.
I'll go on believing that the same clubs didn't have a one-off Damascene Conversion to caring about the poor when FFP was introduced, and actually wanted the rules brought in to maintain their status quo. Because that's what it was all about.

To be fair to la Liga, individual clubs used to be able to negotiate their own TV deals (which meant Barcelona and Real Madrid made massively more than the other clubs combined) but now they have a collective bargaining system where the smaller clubs get a much bigger slice of the pie.

15 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Hopefully you are right. Likelihood is this ban will serve as a warning and will be suspended with a large fine for a City.

PSG will be worrying now I’d expect.

If PSG get hit, it could be a house of cards set in motion.