Jump to content

New season


Recommended Posts

Agree totally, delay until March then if possible to continue - the better weather will give us sat-midweek games until June maybe. If clubs and players don't feel safe then fair enough. Shouldn't affect any monies from the SFA as these ain't normal times and knock league cups etc on the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The season is over folks. Schools will need to be back first before any restrictions get eased so be surprised if teams are back for middle of March. If they are then surely teams will be looking for at-least 3 weeks training. Clubs haven’t trained for 12 weeks can’t expect players to play 3 games a week without proper training first

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering the population and location of the South of Scotland I think the league is the right size at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Sponsorship and availability of enough good quality players is at its limit just now and the league runs well as it is.

This, to me, is not complacency it is reality 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Football is back in England by the end of March.

The first figures announced for the effect of the vaccines on covid are the Scottish ones and, as the SG often gives the impression of wanting to be different in order to justify itself (my view - others will differ!), the timescale for the return of organised outdoor activities will be different - whether earlier or later or whatever - who knows yet!

Hopefully common sense will prevail and football comes back even if subject to the previous protocols for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

twitter.com/SOSFLeague/status/1365354992891293698

Unfortunately tonight's meeting (rearranged from Thurs) with the Scottish FA & other Leagues has again been postponed due no response forthcoming from the Scottish Government.
We wait to see when the meeting will be re-scheduled next week.
🤞 https://twitter.com/SOSFLeague/status/1364232442891141124

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

twitter.com/SOSFLeague/status/1377694260733022213

Replying to
Voted for by 14 clubs to 2 (votes included Dalbeattie and Annan due to proposal including cup competitions they are involved in), our league season was null & voided for a 2nd season in a row.
Some talk was made about declaring a league winner. If a champion were to represent us in a playoff, the finances involved would of been too much for any club in our league due to the amount of covid testing needed done.
We would like to thank all our clubs for following the guidelines set out by the Scottish Governemnt & SFA. They weren’t ideal circumstances but hopefully by next season, we can hope to get back to some normality. Roll on season 21/22!
 
 
Edited by Dev
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dev said:
 
Some talk was made about declaring a league winner. If a champion were to represent us in a playoff, the finances involved would of been too much for any club in our league due to the amount of covid testing needed done.

Not sure how they came to that conclusion, if a play-off with the EOS was to take place then it would be a couple of weeks after the resumption of contact sport without testing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure how they came to that conclusion, if a play-off with the EOS was to take place then it would be a couple of weeks after the resumption of contact sport without testing.

Agreed, sounds like a cop out. Genuine question, do any of the teams actually want promotion out of the league?

Edited by Big Dougie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Big Dougie said:

Agreed, sounds like a cop out. Genuine question, do any of the teams actually want promotion out of the league?

I doubt it. Which is why the SOS should feed into the WOS at some level, so their champion can gain promotion without having to make the step up to the semi-national Lowland with the travel and better quality opposition that entails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2021 at 00:40, Big Dougie said:

Agreed, sounds like a cop out. Genuine question, do any of the teams actually want promotion out of the league?

Yes. St Cuthbert's & Threave are 2 that are keen to make the jump. The correct decision was made to Null & Void, as was done by the East & West. I understand why some would want the South to merge into the west but that is a few year away at least. Would enough clubs out the 14 vote on a merge to the West? I'm not too sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

Yes. St Cuthbert's & Threave are 2 that are keen to make the jump. The correct decision was made to Null & Void, as was done by the East & West. I understand why some would want the South to merge into the west but that is a few year away at least. Would enough clubs out the 14 vote on a merge to the West? I'm not too sure. 

The jump to where, the Lowland League? Judging by Bonnyton's move to the WOS Premier, the top SOS teams are tier 7 level at best - we saw Threave lose to mid-table Conference side Forth Wanderers in the cup and St Cuthbert's comfortably beaten by tier 6 Tynecastle. There's no way they'd beat the EOS or WOS champions.

It doesn't need to be a full scale merger with the WOS, just removing themselves from the LL play-off and instead having a play-off to get into WOS tier 6 or 7 would be best. 

Edited by Ginaro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The jump to where, the Lowland League? Judging by Bonnyton's move to the WOS Premier, the top SOS teams are tier 7 level at best - we saw Threave lose to mid-table Conference side Forth Wanderers in the cup and St Cuthbert's comfortably beaten by tier 6 Tynecastle. There's no way they'd beat the EOS or WOS champions.

It doesn't need to be a full scale merger with the WOS, just removing themselves from the LL play-off and instead having a play-off to get into WOS tier 6 or 7 would be best. 

If the Lowland League Play-off stays the same format a SoS team could pip someone else. Especially if promotion goes up to 2 spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The jump to where, the Lowland League? Judging by Bonnyton's move to the WOS Premier, the top SOS teams are tier 7 level at best - we saw Threave lose to mid-table Conference side Forth Wanderers in the cup and St Cuthbert's comfortably beaten by tier 6 Tynecastle. There's no way they'd beat the EOS or WOS champions.

It doesn't need to be a full scale merger with the WOS, just removing themselves from the LL play-off and instead having a play-off to get into WOS tier 6 or 7 would be best. 

The challenge cup was very bad for south teams last season, some awful results i agree. 

A playoff to get into the west premier? would have to be automatic otherwise none of the clubs would vote for it (that's if any of them would even want the south to move). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If the Lowland League Play-off stays the same format a SoS team could pip someone else. Especially if promotion goes up to 2 spots.

Sure, if the top EOS/WOS teams go up then there's more chance of a SOS team winning the play-off, but that would mean the LL would be even stronger than it is just now!

46 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

The challenge cup was very bad for south teams last season, some awful results i agree. 

A playoff to get into the west premier? would have to be automatic otherwise none of the clubs would vote for it (that's if any of them would even want the south to move). 

Only reason I suggest a play-off is because you don't know the level of the SOS champions since the league would be separate to the WOS system. Play the 13th WOS Premier team or 3rd in the WOS First Division for the final promotion place so you know the champions are good enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s only a matter of time that the south will be the bottom tier in the west. If clubs don’t want that then the likes of Threave saints newton etc will need to move to west and the south will be a Saturday amateur league or even a Sunday league

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...