Scotland V Cyprus Belgium v Scotland predictions

jofis

New era, I think you'll see a fresher more enthusiastic team.
Really hope so but I've been there way too many times before. A 'should be a comfortable win' ends up being a horrible performance and desperate result. The likes of Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia at Hampden. I have faith that Clarke is too clever to fall into that pit, but not enough to remove the fear entirely.

Really hope so but I've been there way too many times before. A 'should be a comfortable win' ends up being a horrible performance and desperate result. The likes of Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia at Hampden. I have faith that Clarke is too clever to fall into that pit, but not enough to remove the fear entirely.
Agree, I would give him space and get the media to back off until he's found his feet at least

Agree, I would give him space and get the media to back off until he's found his feet at least
Totally. Too many in the press treating him like the Messiah. While it's refreshing to have positivity for a change, let's keep a wee bit of realism. Is Clarke good enough to turn this Scotland team around? Yes, I really think he is a sound, sharp appointment. But is there any guarantee he'll be able to make us better straight away?

I agree there has been too many false dawns but if Scotland can get back to the 2017 form we have a chance.
Every Scots fan I talk to is saying the same thing lets be hard to beat yet we have decent creative midfielders that could cause any team problems if the balance is right.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

The fear that he'll be "another Levein" is unfounded I think. Levein was at the very peak of his powers with Dundee Utd, and was out of his depth at international level (although, Prague aside, was a touch unlucky in some games).  Clarke is a world class coach who has coached and managed at a decent level beforehand.

I don't know much about Cyprus, but I reckon we'll win at home, then lose narrowly away (or maybe sneak a draw).

I think Cyprus look to be a competent side so whilst I think we'll win, i won't be that upset if its a tougher match that anticipated and we don't end up looking great. I think until Clarke has had a chance to bed in a bit, i'll be happy with getting the points in games we can win and stealing something/not getting battered by Belgium. 

I can't see us scoring alot, we just lack the depth of quality upfront than other nations. 

3 points against Cyprus with a confident performance and a battling display against the Belgians and I'll be happy. 

I wonder how many would have withdrawn had McLeish still been at the helm?

2 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Cyprus look pretty decent. Looking back through their results, the only team that's beaten them by more than 2 goals since 2014 is Belgium. They've also taken results a way from home against Bosnia, Israel and Slovenia. Any win will be a decent enough result.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Cyprus have lost 8 of their last 10 away games, including defeats to Armenia, Estonia, Georgia and Jordan. If we can't beat them at Hampden, we'd be as well chucking it.

The joy of stats. Let me just consult the oracle...

s-l1600.jpg

We're pumping them, lads.

18 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
18 hours ago, Binos said:
No way we are drawing at home v Cyprus
If we do, give up time

Just like there was no way we should have been losing to Kazakhstan? Wake up time, more like. Cyprus are decent. Beatable, but decent.

Name a Cypriot player, without looking it up first

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, Binos said:
Name a Cypriot player, without looking it up first

I can't. Same way as I couldn't name a Kazakhstan player before we played them.

We're at home

Kazakhstan isn't even in our continent and we don't travel to places like that well

48 minutes ago, TheSpiderPlant said:

Probably either a narrow loss or one of those massive performances where you wonder where the players found the level from. Then we get pumped off Belgium.

So, standard Scotland either way.

Losing at home to Cyprus would absolutely not be "standard Scotland". Even the worst Scotland managers didn't lose to teams like that at Hampden. The only comparable result in entire competitive history would be 1-0 against Belarus under Walter Smith.

Losing at home to Cyprus would absolutely not be "standard Scotland". Even the worst Scotland managers didn't lose to teams like that at Hampden. The only comparable result in entire competitive history would be 1-0 against Belarus under Walter Smith.

0-3 against Hungary was pretty shite. What was their ranking when that happened? I suppose it was just a friendly but it was still a honking result.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

0-3 against Hungary was pretty shite. What was their ranking when that happened? I suppose it was just a friendly but it was still a honking result.

Friendlies are a whole different matter - we've had some shockers in those. Even still, Hungary were 64th in 2004 when they beat us 3-0. Cyprus are 89th just now.