Scotland V Cyprus Belgium v Scotland predictions

jofis

Not sure i've been this excited about a Scotland double header since, well, the last double header. 

Obviously things are very different this time. We have a new management team in place who on paper, and in statement, seem completely capable of putting out a team to get the results expected of them.

That being said, Cyprus pumped San Marino and narrowly lost to Belgium, so this is probably a good test of SSC's credentials, not only as a coach but as a tactician.

We need to to beat Cyprus now, and get some sort of decent result (draw?) against Belgium if our journey in this group is to continue towards qualification.

Obviously there's the fall back of the Nations League play-offs; is Steve Clarke the pragmatic type who is happy to see the rest of this qualifying group through in order to develop a squad to win that play off? I don't see him being as opportunistic as that, but this opinion aside, what do we think Scotland's point tally will be after the Belgium game on Tuesday?

Edited by jofis

Probably the usual scripted shite but Clarke did mention in his press conference that he believes we can qualify from the group and will look to do that.

A win at home to Cyrprus and a defeat in Belgium is my prediction. And probably a few others. Will go for 2-0 to the home side in both games.

5 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Probably the usual scripted shite but Clarke did mention in his press conference that he believes we can qualify from the group and will look to do that.

A win at home to Cyrprus and a defeat in Belgium is my prediction. And probably a few others. Will go for 2-0 to the home side in both games.

this,i think

to have a realistic chance of qualifying we need to be beating everybody at home and pick up points away to our main rivals,alas brussels has always been a rotten place for us to go to in competitive games

Everyone seems to be exaggerating what we actually have to do to qualify. If we win the 4 remaining matches against Cyprus, Kazakhstan and San Marino and take 4 points from Russia then that would be enough for us if Russia lose to Belgium in their remaining meeting.

There is usually a sense of optimism for a managers first games in charge. That was missing with the ropey appointment of McLeish but it’s back with Clarke. I just hope he isn’t another Levein.

Hopefully we can get back on track with a win over Cyprus and maybe sneak a draw in Belgium, hope being that Belgian players are tired and going through the motions before heading off on holidays, while the Killie lads are desperate to prove a point. Belgium 0 v 0 Killie Scotland.

Everyone seems to be exaggerating what we actually have to do to qualify. If we win the 4 remaining matches against Cyprus, Kazakhstan and San Marino and take 4 points from Russia then that would be enough for us if Russia lose to Belgium in their remaining meeting.

Think we’ll probably take 1 point off Russia in all honesty. Wouldn’t fancy us to get a result on their patch. Could maybe see a home win in the right circumstances.

Optimistically I would back us for a solid win v Cyprus, and a point against the Belgians. Realistically i think of the two games 3 points is an absolute must, anything more is a bonus.

I think Clarke will have us set up more defensively compact and organised than Mcleish did, which with a little bit of luck should help us v the Belgians.  

Over the two games tho, I fear our biggest problems may be at the other end as we have a lack of firepower in the squad. Ideally an early goal v Cyprus is required,  as the ability to change the attacking options is fairly limited if we are struggling.

I can't see us getting anything in Russia. A point at home is doable, a win would be a significant achievement.

Obviously we aren't going to get near Belgium but we should be looking to win semi-comfortably against Cyprus.

I think we'll get a very positive performance at least on Saturday, and a win.  That'll get everyone believing again.  Then we'll probably have a spirited but ultimately unsuccessful performance in Belgium, getting 3 points out of the two games.

The next window was always going to be the absolutely massive one anyway.  In September we play both Russia and Belgium at home.  The former could see us with something back in our own hands - either our fate, or our ain arses or something.

42 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

How do I go about getting a ticket on the day for Cyprus game? Just rock up to Hampden a little bit earlier than normal and look for a ticket office?

I don't think you can buy on the day, you buy them online. Can collect them on the day from the portacabins behind the North/West Stand.

I got mine last week and there wasn't a massive amount left to be honest. Some stands better than others though.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/supporters-tickets/scotland-tickets/

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

How do I go about getting a ticket on the day for Cyprus game? Just rock up to Hampden a little bit earlier than normal and look for a ticket office?

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I don't think you can buy on the day, you buy them online. Can collect them on the day from the portacabins behind the North/West Stand.

I got mine last week and there wasn't a massive amount left to be honest. Some stands better than others though.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/supporters-tickets/scotland-tickets/

Think it will be possible to buy from the Portakabins outside the West stand. If not then the SFA are missing a trick. 

47 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Oh now! That's not nice. That's my opinion. Cyprus are no mugs. I was happy Clarke got the job. I hope I am totally wrong and he gets off to a flier.

No way we are drawing at home v Cyprus

If we do, give up time