Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Daft to read too much into one game, especially a friendly but we'll do it anyway. Herd looks a decent addition, neat tidy composed on the ball, Valentine showed a lot of energy and no little skill, Thomas jury's still out Renton and Buchanan same old.Todd  coming on in leaps and bounds, h e could turn out to be a really shrewd signing Barr looks fine a really solid back three. The keeper looked a total bomb scare I'm sorry to say, hopefully just first game nerves. He did have a couple of good saves late on before he was subbed. More positives than negatives despite the score. Wedderburn played well for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I seen sheer in warming up I actually thought it was a guy who's won a raffle and the prize was a place on the bench for a friendly. I've seen big units play in the lower leagues, but he really is some size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange the divide between Cowden fans saying Renton is useless and opposition fans saying what they say about Sheerin. I like both tbh and Renton is what he is - gets far too much stick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We played alright in the first half but got caught on the break for the first goal. Never really got started in the second half. Buchanan missed two VERY good opportunities - first one he was clear through on the keeper and waited and waited and waited which allowed Miller to get a challenge in. Second one, he needs to be hitting the target from 6 yards out.

Barr looks a class act. Was impressed with Herd - could be a good find. Thomas looks like he wants to play football but his brain is maybe better than his ability, sees the pass but can't make it. Raw potential is there though. Valentine was blowing out of his arse after about 5 minutes - didn't look fit or particularly good. Don't think he is good enough to start at the moment.

And finally Dabrowski...he made the saves you'd expect him to make but didn't inspire me with confidence. Fumbled a cross, dropped a few balls and played a ball to Pyper when Pyper had his back to him. Kicking wasn't great.

This is all just one game against higher league opposition though and 5 new players bedding into the team so not fair to make a final judgement this early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

We played alright in the first half but got caught on the break for the first goal. Never really got started in the second half. Buchanan missed two VERY good opportunities - first one he was clear through on the keeper and waited and waited and waited which allowed Miller to get a challenge in. Second one, he needs to be hitting the target from 6 yards out.

Barr looks a class act. Was impressed with Herd - could be a good find. Thomas looks like he wants to play football but his brain is maybe better than his ability, sees the pass but can't make it. Raw potential is there though. Valentine was blowing out of his arse after about 5 minutes - didn't look fit or particularly good. Don't think he is good enough to start at the moment.

And finally Dabrowski...he made the saves you'd expect him to make but didn't inspire me with confidence. Fumbled a cross, dropped a few balls and played a ball to Pyper when Pyper had his back to him. Kicking wasn't great.

This is all just one game against higher league opposition though and 5 new players bedding into the team so not fair to make a final judgement this early on.

How did Pyper play?

Edited by Aberdeen Cowden
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

How did Pyper play?

Fine - played on the right with Barr in the middle. No complaints about the back three. Todd looked decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Fine - played on the right with Barr in the middle. No complaints about the back three. Todd looked decent.

Thanks, hope none of them get injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

When I seen sheer in warming up I actually thought it was a guy who's won a raffle and the prize was a place on the bench for a friendly. I've seen big units play in the lower leagues, but he really is some size.

I can see why youd think that but I for one think his wee goal flurry at the start of 18/19 was what kept us out of the playoffs last season.him coming on as a late sub in games later on in the season usually resulted in putting the fear in opposition defences.you lot were spoiled by owen coyle,not every striker can look like that,or indeed score like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

I can see why youd think that but I for one think his wee goal flurry at the start of 18/19 was what kept us out of the playoffs last season.him coming on as a late sub in games later on in the season usually resulted in putting the fear in opposition defences.you lot were spoiled by owen coyle,not every striker can look like that,or indeed score like that

Correct. He may carry some timber, but he uses it to good effect. We look far more dangerous when he is on. I would play him upfront with Allan, with Cox in behind them. Fans will always make fun of a player on the heavier side, as we would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheerin is being vastly overrated just now. He absolutely did not keep us out of the play offs. He absolutely should not start for us until he gets a bit fitter as well. Hopefully he manages that as he can be a real asset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Sheerin is being vastly overrated just now. He absolutely did not keep us out of the play offs. He absolutely should not start for us until he gets a bit fitter as well. Hopefully he manages that as he can be a real asset. 

This.

Sheerin scored doubles in the Betfred Cup games against Raith and Inverness then scored in the defeats by Annan and East Fife (Irn Bru Cup). He got one in a 4-0 win over Berwick and the 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers. He then did nothing for the rest of the season other than a 20 second cameo against Elgin at the end of the season where he scored.

His goals did not keep us out of the Play Offs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Sheerin is being vastly overrated just now. He absolutely did not keep us out of the play offs. He absolutely should not start for us until he gets a bit fitter as well. Hopefully he manages that as he can be a real asset. 

beg to disagree-the points he helped us get early on took a lot of pressure off the team,especially inlight of the previous 2 seasons.given the appalling run we had from autumn to spring id say his contribution was,like himself,massive

Edited by highlandcowden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beg to disagree-the points he helped us get early on took a lot of pressure off the team,especially inlight of the previous 2 seasons.given the appalling run we had from autumn to spring id say his contribution was,like himself,massive

The team and management took us up from tenth to sixth - a job collectively well done that is the reality. What appalling run between Autumn to Spring - there wasn't one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

beg to disagree-the points he helped us get early on took a lot of pressure off the team,especially inlight of the previous 2 seasons.given the appalling run we had from autumn to spring id say his contribution was,like himself,massive

Our worst spell of the season was after the Rangers cup tie. had 7 defeats, 3 draws and 1 win. Before that we had won or drawn more than we had lost. Although 6th was a massive improvement over the previous 2 seasons you could argue that bar that spell after the cup game we could have made a push for 4th or got 5th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

beg to disagree-the points he helped us get early on took a lot of pressure off the team,especially inlight of the previous 2 seasons.given the appalling run we had from autumn to spring id say his contribution was,like himself,massive

Nonsense. See my post above - you are vastly over exaggerating his contribution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...