COWDENBEATH 2019-20

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 23:03, big al said:

Craig Barr is the player of the year by a considerable distance bud. Stand out almost every time I have seen him.

Barr and Hamilton stand outs, but Barr for me as well.

Well that's the season stopped for now.  Can we all agree that we should just say the league table as it is is how the season ends and we come back from this with a play off against Forfar?

Sounds ok to me. However can we keep going until then without any gate income.

48 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Sounds ok to me. However can we keep going until then without any gate income.

Obviously a fluid sittaution with no really certainty about the spread and extent of the virus. I guess the next days and weeks may present a clearer picture.

My gut feel is that the leagues will be deemed to be finished and clubs will finish where they currently are. If you are in an automatic league winning/promotion situation then  you will be champions & where appropriate promoted. Equally if in an automatic relegation sittuation you will be relegated. My guess is that the play offs will be abandoned for this season as part of the lock down.

As I say just guess work at the moment.

Hopefully things will become clearer and obviously beyond football hopefully we can stem this virus and prevent further loss of life.

Edited by Blue Oktober
line omitted

1 hour ago, Blue Oktober said:

Obviously a fluid sittaution with no really certainty about the spread and extent of the virus. I guess the next days and weeks may present a clearer picture.

My gut feel is that the leagues will be deemed to be finished and clubs will finish where they currently are. If you are in an automatic league winning/promotion situation then  you will be champions & where appropriate promoted. Equally if in an automatic relegation sittuation you will be relegated. My guess is that the play offs will be abandoned for this season as part of the lock down.

As I say just guess work at the moment.

Hopefully things will become clearer and obviously beyond football hopefully we can stem this virus and prevent further loss of life.

Unless they somehow manage to finish the season whatever they decide will annoy someone. Telling a team they are relegated without finishing the games will prob end up with things going to court. Writing off the season will annoy those in promotion or title places (the scenes in England with Liverpool would be something to behold)

1 hour ago, HenryHill said:

Unless they somehow manage to finish the season whatever they decide will annoy someone. Telling a team they are relegated without finishing the games will prob end up with things going to court. Writing off the season will annoy those in promotion or title places (the scenes in England with Liverpool would be something to behold)

As I said in my post  my guess is they will finish as is and current lease leaders will be champs and those in relegation position will be relegated. It is the play offs that may not take place if still a lock down based on the wider pandemic.

If the situation improves they may try play play offs based on current positions, all guess work at the moment.

All in all a huge financial blow for clubs across the country.

I think best option is to finish the leagues now.

make the league leaders champions but no promotion or relegation. Just can’t do it when teams have played differing numbers of games and what’s at stake, particularly for Brechin.

remember too that lowland and highland league are suspended too so champions and play offs are compromised.

the big issue here for small clubs is how do they  survive with no income.?

I think the season will be delayed rather than end as it is. The Euro's will maybe get switched to next year though. It would be easier delaying the season and having a shorter season for 20/21.

This virus will be here for good now. It won't go away. It will be seasonal every year and some people will suffer more than others. If they can develop an antiviral treatment, it will hopefully reduce the fatalities in future. The main focus now should be on isolating and caring for elderly people and those with underlying serious health issues rather than trying to isolate everyone. Also, there are people with other serious illnesses that still need treatment. I don't mean to sound heartless, but most of us need to continue as normal and accept we might feel rough and leave the medical people to deal with the serious cases. Highly likely that far more people have the virus already and plenty may think they do, when it is a run of the mill cold.

You can't realistically shutdown the whole country for weeks. Some companies will be able to shutdown no problem. Sports events, concerts etc can be cancelled or postponed, but we rely on some companies and services just to get by from day to day.

Food supply is all about quick turnaround nowadays and it would be literally a matter of days before the supermarkets run empty. They are already busier than normal now with people panic buying. If the companies involved in the supply of food cannot operate because they are told to shutdown, what do we do then?

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

I think best option is to finish the leagues now.

make the league leaders champions but no promotion or relegation. Just can’t do it when teams have played differing numbers of games and what’s at stake, particularly for Brechin.

remember too that lowland and highland league are suspended too so champions and play offs are compromised.

the big issue here for small clubs is how do they  survive with no income.?

That is another potential scenario i.e. no relegation. I do think the league season is now over unless some significant turn of fortunes. Listening to experience views and looking at rescheduling of events I suspect months rather than weeks. So even if we say 6-8 weeks  that takes us to early May and we already have backlogs before we start.

The announcement today that the forthcoming local elections a one day event have been postponed till 2021.

What ever length of delay this will place a huge strain on al clubs most of which already struggling to achieve financial breakeven.

If play off scrapped then huge blow for everyone potentially involved being selfish a real concern for us. As you say real impact on HL & LL teams who will have invested to win their leagues.

Hopefully the SPFL & SFA working on plans to look at measures to support clubs though this. The wider implications beyond individual clubs are huge. I really hope there is some light ahead soon.

17 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

That is another potential scenario i.e. no relegation. I do think the league season is now over unless some significant turn of fortunes. Listening to experience views and looking at rescheduling of events I suspect months rather than weeks. So even if we say 6-8 weeks  that takes us to early May and we already have backlogs before we start.

The announcement today that the forthcoming local elections a one day event have been postponed till 2021.

What ever length of delay this will place a huge strain on al clubs most of which already struggling to achieve financial breakeven.

If play off scrapped then huge blow for everyone potentially involved being selfish a real concern for us. As you say real impact on HL & LL teams who will have invested to win their leagues.

Hopefully the SPFL & SFA working on plans to look at measures to support clubs though this. The wider implications beyond individual clubs are huge. I really hope there is some light ahead soon.

The SPFL and the SFA will sort this out. We all know how competent they are! 

If there is any football before May, play the outstanding games (there aren't many) then see where we are. But whatever happens, please promote Cove or else everyone in Scotland will be getting called cheats.

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

The SPFL and the SFA will sort this out. We all know how competent they are! 

If there is any football before May, play the outstanding games (there aren't many) then see where we are. But whatever happens, please promote Cove or else everyone in Scotland will be getting called cheats.

😂😂😂 

1 minute ago, CowdenLoyal said:

On a related note to finances - I see the lottery is over £4k now. Since going online, how successful has this been for the club?

I assume the 100 club and bonus ball will have funds available should the club require them? 

The 100 club pays out each season to the club so unlikely to have much else in reserve.

No idea about bonus ball.