COWDENBEATH 2019-20

53 minutes ago, greendot said:

You say that weaponising someones mental health is beyond banter yet slagging someone off / pelters / winding someone up is ok?  How do you know its ok?  If you put yourself in their position, how many times when you've been at your work has someone put you down, given you pelters etc week in week out?

While some of what you say is true this is nonsense. When I complete a project at work our clients don’t come down to my office and chant my name and celebrate wildly. Football is different from a normal working environment, as anyone with half a brain should be aware. To try and compare the two are wild. 

Football is emotive, passionate and that is what we all love about it. It has some really bad traits though, which I genuinely believe are improving. We have to be careful not to sanitise it at the same time.

15 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

While some of what you say is true this is nonsense. When I complete a project at work our clients don’t come down to my office and chant my name and celebrate wildly. Football is different from a normal working environment, as anyone with half a brain should be aware. To try and compare the two are wild. 

Football is emotive, passionate and that is what we all love about it. It has some really bad traits though, which I genuinely believe are improving. We have to be careful not to sanitise it at the same time.

It's not nonsense though. You're still making the excuse that it's acceptable behavior 'because its football'.  The same issues don't exist to the same extent in other sporting events either whether its a team event like Rugby or Cricket or individual sports like Tennis or Golf (perhaps Ryder Cup excepted!)  The comparison to the average joe at his desk is still relevant cos ultimately a football player is simply trying to do their job to the best of their ability, it just so happens when they do it well, as you say, folk chant their name and celebrate wildly.  Some times it is nice to get a wee boost if your boss or client / customer is grateful for the way you did your job.  Everyone enjoys a compliment no matter what their task has been.

1 hour ago, greendot said:

It's not nonsense though. You're still making the excuse that it's acceptable behavior 'because its football'.  The same issues don't exist to the same extent in other sporting events either whether its a team event like Rugby or Cricket or individual sports like Tennis or Golf (perhaps Ryder Cup excepted!)  The comparison to the average joe at his desk is still relevant cos ultimately a football player is simply trying to do their job to the best of their ability, it just so happens when they do it well, as you say, folk chant their name and celebrate wildly.  Some times it is nice to get a wee boost if your boss or client / customer is grateful for the way you did your job.  Everyone enjoys a compliment no matter what their task has been.

My coworker would never scream at me to up my game. Or my manager would never scream at my if I’m in the wrong place. Football is different. You can’t just accept the good and want to remove all of the bad.  

This was the very definition of a hard fought game. In terrible conditions both sides gave it everything, and served up some decent entertainment. Elgin probably shaded it in terms of possession, but we created the better chances, but couldn't put one of them away. Agree that Todd was outstanding, and Allan looked so sharp when he came on, I was wishing he had been on from the start. A draw is not a disaster though.

5 hours ago, greendot said:

Of course it's not acceptable, but football is far more popular and has far more fans than these other sports, or games , as some of them are. Also, most of the league 2 players are not doing their job. They are part time players. They have a job outside of football.

1 hour ago, wulliemc said:

2 points dropped today. Badly need someone to convert.

Todd rapidly becoming my POTY.

Todd is getting better and much improved on his early appearances. He is solid, especially when he has decent players around him, but Hamilton is our best player by a country mile.

14 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

This was the very definition of a hard fought game. In terrible conditions both sides gave it everything, and served up some decent entertainment. Elgin probably shaded it in terms of possession, but we created the better chances, but couldn't put one of them away. Agree that Todd was outstanding, and Allan looked so sharp when he came on, I was wishing he had been on from the start. A draw is not a disaster though.

Bizarre why Allan is not on from the start. We only looked dangerous when he was on, but I would keep Taylor on with him. They look like they would be a good pairing. Just the sort of game where Cox would have snatched the winner.

Edited by PELE

1 hour ago, wulliemc said:

2 points dropped today. Badly need someone to convert.

Todd rapidly becoming my POTY.

Agree about Todd, he didn’t do much wrong today. We should be shooting at every opportunity, there can’t be any team that has less shots on target than us.

Is Renton ever going to score?

25 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not sure what home or away has to do with it really

Can’t be bothered going through a load of statistics but last game against Elgin they had ten shots (five on target)  Cowden had five (none on target)  Normally the home team does the attacking.

We play well until we get to the opponents box but that’s it then. 

Regarding David Cox. I empathise with his mental health struggles. I know personally how difficult it can be. I can only wish him all the best and hope he successfully manages his illness going forward. It seems like he’ll have to deal with this for the rest of his life (some of us do) but it is still very possible to make a real success of life (again, some of us do). 
That all said, I have watched David Cox a good few times following Clyde and I have never heard anyone giving him abuse because of his health problems (I know he says he had an issue at Broadwood so I can only assume that some individual did give him abuse but it is by no means widespread. Quite the opposite I’d suggest). The reason David Cox gets so much abuse is because of the way he plays the game. He is basically the epitome of a wee angry man and constantly seems to be on the verge of punching someone. His antics at the end of the game at Central Park in May were just bizarre. 
I do reiterate. I sincerely hope he successfully manages his mental health. That’s the most important thing and I hope the club are doing what they can to support him. 

13 hours ago, greendot said:

Sadly with this attitude, you yourself are adding to the problem, not actually helping it in any way at all.  We can all see that football is rife with complete morons on and off the field of play but distancing yourself from these people is the best thing you can do if you have the brain capacity to do so.  No one has the right to feel they can just give someone pelters for no reason at all other than they wear a different coloured strip to the one you allegedly support or in life in general.  That's just the definition of someone being a c**t for the sake of being a c**t.

You say that weaponising someones mental health is beyond banter yet slagging someone off / pelters / winding someone up is ok?  How do you know its ok?  If you put yourself in their position, how many times when you've been at your work has someone put you down, given you pelters etc week in week out?  I'm sure that in Cox's case as with other footballers, not just at this level other than being given pelters on the pitch, i suspect that they've had the rejection of playing at a higher level and being told they're not good enough and all of these factors have contributed towards their mental health.  How the individual deals with that is another thing though.  Some have the mental strength to shake things off, water off a ducks back, however, in Cox's case, its probably manifested itself inside his head into something greater to the point where he tried to take his own life and this can now be used by opposing players and fans to put him off during matches.

I've seen comments on here with regard to players invite things on themselves (Bobby Barr as everyone's lower league favourite hate figure) however, he's reacting to getting it in the neck from fans and fans give it back in retaliation.  It's a vicious circle and I doubt that it's going to change any time soon.

Rather than dishing out abuse / pelters / wind ups to the opposition and having a laugh with your mates about it, just support your team, you know, as a 'supporter'.  As you've said, football's not a life and death situation.

f**k off. 

re. David. I would like to see him name the players involved, if not publicly ( as it is hard to prove I suppose unless heard by others on the pitch) then privately to the clubs concerned. I would like to think that Queen's Park would investigate internally and have a strong word with the accused player to get to the bottom of what he allegedly said and what he meant by using those words.

Our community coaching has a "Tackling Recovery" programme which includes those with mental health issues, one of our current players David Galt runs half marathons to raise money for Mental Health charities, and more recently a relative of one of our employees tragically took their own life. Our players shouldn't need educated on such a topic. 

It's all gone a bit quiet on here this past week, and with feeling totally pissed off with politics, I got back on the drawing board yesterday... or photoshop... inspired by the designs I produced on here a couple of summers ago... And have an idea I'd like to suggest to the club....

I think I'm right in saying that this season's kit is proving one of the most popular in recent history (or since the last time the Coos wore a stripey number) both amongst the fans and sales-wise.... and although it's now traditional to change not only the home kit but also the aways almost every season these days, can I make this suggestion for the 2020 season?

Can we keep the home shirt for another year? Every time I see it in action and on photos, I still get that initial reaction of 'Fit Kit!' And would be such a shame to see it go after just one season. With Errea already having the templates from this season's home shirt, maybe a long-sleeved version could be produced next year to give it that proper late 60s early 70s retro look?

But in the meantime, could we have an away shirt essentially based on the home design, but with the colours reversed, so it looks something like this pictured below.... I reckon this would look just as good as the home kit, and two based on the same design would definitely make the Cows look cool as... Especially in all white.

In the meantime, this season's yellow kit could be retained to act as a potential third shirt should a colour clash arise from blue and white tops at away games?

Go on... you know you want it!

cowden 2020.jpg