COWDENBEATH 2019-20

They didn’t really get abuse it seems though. If whats said is true, some goon has made a comment that idiotic football fans make countless times a season. “A pay ma money I’ll say what a want” hardly constitutes abuse. They must have been sitting next to the ‘abusers’ at Hampden as well to be 15 inches from them, weird one. 

Cox getting stick from Cowden fans for his erratic behaviour does not constitute abuse about his mental health. I’ve certainly only ever heard the former. 

I’ll put this to bed as if the incident mentioned was at Hampden I witnessed the whole thing.

I didn’t recognise the Cowden fan in question, however when Davie started his nonsense regarding who was taking the free-kick at the very end of the game the fan said, not even particularly loudly “get that c**t to f**k”.

To this, his wife started going crazy at the fan demanding an apology and getting right in his face. “You can’t speak about my husband like that, his family can hear” etc etc.

The gent certainly could have handled it better, and could have deescalated the situation a bit better maybe even apologised to keep the peace but certainly wasn’t abusive to the Mrs from what I saw.

Cox gets off lightly I’m my opinion from the home fans. He is 1 of the most frustrating players I have seen for a while. Pops up with a goal at times though which makes him popular along with his work ethic.
He loses the ball far far too often and his recent red card is inexcusable. Ticking time bomb at some games I have seen and that makes him no use to anyone.
It would be good to see him settle down and concentrate just on doing the simple things well in a game and of course work hard as he does off the ball, but without the aggro. I call him Davy the dodgem as sometimes he just bounces and crashes into folk. It’s like it is important to him to be able to bash opponents out the way.
Really what a dreadful post the guy has mental health issues . and all you can do is slate him . no one has the right to call him names on or off the park . I hope through the Pfa he gets the help he needs . but comments like yours don't help anyone in life . Sad very Sad

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I'm disappointed to learn of the verbal abuse from QP player or players to David Cox. Who ever is responsible should know what they need to do now if they haven't already done so. If its immaturity then I hope they learn from it. Hopefully this latest incident will finally bring an end to this nonsense.

And you learned about it how? From the Daily Record? You assume it must have happened because the Daily Record reported it? Was there any formal complaint to the club from CFC?

11 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And you learned about it how? From the Daily Record? You assume it must have happened because the Daily Record reported it? Was there any formal complaint to the club from CFC?

And you assume it's not true  because CFC didn't make a formal complaint.

I've no idea if it's true but I suspect that's the same position as you.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Not from the Daily Record. I don't buy it. QP isn't being singled out, this has been going on for some time. 

Really what a dreadful post the guy has mental health issues . and all you can do is slate him . no one has the right to call him names on or off the park . I hope through the Pfa he gets the help he needs . but comments like yours don't help anyone in life . Sad very Sad

Mental health is serious. So is the safety of players. Hopefully the man is able to overcome his demons or is provided with the help he needs, but it’s not acceptable to danger other players.

As for the article in the Daily Record, I think we all know too well how inaccurate and washed that nonsense can be. If there has been abuse on the park, I’m sure both clubs would have handled the matter accordingly. Going to newspapers for a story sounds a bit dodgy to me...

9 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Where did I call him names apart from reference his style of play?

is that not what happens with all players? 

And you assume it's not true  because CFC didn't make a formal complaint.
I've no idea if it's true but I suspect that's the same position as you.

I don’t assume anything, either way. I wasn’t on the park or in the dressing room so I don’t know what was or wasn’t said. Nor does anyone on this forum. So I won’t be criticising any QP players for those reasons. Players are employees of the club. If Fox had a particular problem he and his manager should have channeled it via the clubs, not the media.

What I can say confidently is that Fox should have had at least one yellow in the first half for repeated incidents of aggressive behaviour and his first yellow was a violent attack, whilst sitting on the ground and play had been halted, which for many other players would have been a straight red. He had been bullying - something else that isn’t acceptable in the modern world but seems to be okay if you have mental health issues - our right back in the first half but he had been swapped for another player who with his first tackle let Fox know he was in a game. Ten minutes later he was off the park with two incidents both of his own making. That’s what I witnessed.

Then there’s the obvious issue of why did it take 3 weeks to bring this matter out? If it’s about wider issues why then specifically mention Queen’s Park? The way the report was framed made it look like he was targeted. Bollan was also interviewed which suggests it’s been endorsed, perhaps suggested, by the club. Perhaps they don’t know how to cope with this situation anymore?

My wife works in Criminal Justice. She’s not a psychologist but has significant experience and training in identifying people at risk of both physical and mental abuse/damage. She watched the tv interview and immediately said the guy needs an intervention and quickly. That’s social work jargon for professional help. I trust her judgement. Putting the guy in the glare of the public, especially via the gutter press, really isn’t helping the individual. And whilst the snowflakes might argue that all other clubs and players have a collective responsibility to look after this poor man, that’s a ridiculous expectation that’s unachievable and offers nothing but false hope. The club aren’t doing him any favours following that path. Whatever events have brought him to where he’s at, blaming everyone else isn’t part of the solution.

Cowdenbeath have adopted something that’s been developed over a long time, probably the lifetime of David Fox. It’ll take a long time, maybe decades, for him to manage his illness. For a footballer to have the focus of his game aggressively winding up other players and violently attack one in particular and then use the press to blame everyone else then he’s a long way short of a coping strategy let alone wellbeing. And that’s the crux for CFC. It’s brutally obvious that continuing to expose this fragile character to the testosterone-fulled environment of the Scottish Leagues is only going to be worse for his health and consequently worse for the club. It’s an enigma for me that coaches - unqualified medically - will accept a decision by a doctor that a player can’t play for physical reasons but everyone feels uncomfortable accepting medical advice for someone with an injured mind. The boy needs time away from playing football. Maybe there’s a more therapeutic role for him at the club.

Not from the Daily Record. I don't buy it. QP isn't being singled out, this has been going on for some time. 

Then why jump on the love boat and criticise a QP player? If there was anything said, it’s our club’s governance that’s at fault. Or do you advocate a witch-hunt on one player as though that makes the club look better?

Rough banter is part of the game just like the occasional flying tackle. Like Tommy Block’s at Dumfries. Didn’t see any witch-hunt for that one.

I don’t assume anything, either way. I wasn’t on the park or in the dressing room so I don’t know what was or wasn’t said. Nor does anyone on this forum. So I won’t be criticising any QP players for those reasons. Players are employees of the club. If Fox had a particular problem he and his manager should have channeled it via the clubs, not the media.

What I can say confidently is that Fox should have had at least one yellow in the first half for repeated incidents of aggressive behaviour and his first yellow was a violent attack, whilst sitting on the ground and play had been halted, which for many other players would have been a straight red. He had been bullying - something else that isn’t acceptable in the modern world but seems to be okay if you have mental health issues - our right back in the first half but he had been swapped for another player who with his first tackle let Fox know he was in a game. Ten minutes later he was off the park with two incidents both of his own making. That’s what I witnessed.

Then there’s the obvious issue of why did it take 3 weeks to bring this matter out? If it’s about wider issues why then specifically mention Queen’s Park? The way the report was framed made it look like he was targeted. Bollan was also interviewed which suggests it’s been endorsed, perhaps suggested, by the club. Perhaps they don’t know how to cope with this situation anymore?

My wife works in Criminal Justice. She’s not a psychologist but has significant experience and training in identifying people at risk of both physical and mental abuse/damage. She watched the tv interview and immediately said the guy needs an intervention and quickly. That’s social work jargon for professional help. I trust her judgement. Putting the guy in the glare of the public, especially via the gutter press, really isn’t helping the individual. And whilst the snowflakes might argue that all other clubs and players have a collective responsibility to look after this poor man, that’s a ridiculous expectation that’s unachievable and offers nothing but false hope. The club aren’t doing him any favours following that path. Whatever events have brought him to where he’s at, blaming everyone else isn’t part of the solution.

Cowdenbeath have adopted something that’s been developed over a long time, probably the lifetime of David Fox. It’ll take a long time, maybe decades, for him to manage his illness. For a footballer to have the focus of his game aggressively winding up other players and violently attack one in particular and then use the press to blame everyone else then he’s a long way short of a coping strategy let alone wellbeing. And that’s the crux for CFC. It’s brutally obvious that continuing to expose this fragile character to the testosterone-fulled environment of the Scottish Leagues is only going to be worse for his health and consequently worse for the club. It’s an enigma for me that coaches - unqualified medically - will accept a decision by a doctor that a player can’t play for physical reasons but everyone feels uncomfortable accepting medical advice for someone with an injured mind. The boy needs time away from playing football. Maybe there’s a more therapeutic role for him at the club.

I agree with all of this but who’s David Fox? 🤣

8 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Then why jump on the love boat and criticise a QP player? If there was anything said, it’s our club’s governance that’s at fault. Or do you advocate a witch-hunt on one player as though that makes the club look better?

Rough banter is part of the game just like the occasional flying tackle. Like Tommy Block’s at Dumfries. Didn’t see any witch-hunt for that one.

You've argued your case well, I wasn't aware the story came from the Record, if I had then I would've known that there had been some innacuracys. 

7 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It is, but weaponising someone's mental health goes beyond "rough banter." I've no idea what happened on the pitch and neither does anyone else on here, but if anyone is found in the future to be targeting someone in that manner, the authorities should be looking at the harshest possible penalties being enforced against them. It's not really any different from mocking a cancer survivor.

As a society, we're still a million miles from where we need to be when it comes to attitudes towards mental health. Football, as it is on most issues, is even further behind because of the toxic masculinity that still permeates through the game. 

Giving someone pelters is fine, winding someone up is fine, showing passion and having a bit of a rumble is fine. However, mental health is life/death stuff and, for all football is important, it is not life and death. There are lines that just shouldn't be crossed. 

I've never been a fan of the on field character of David Cox, but it's eminently possible that he's a good guy off the park. I hope he continues to get the help and support he needs. I think the best thing the wider football community can do in these situations is listen, rather than immediately go into defensive mode. 

You've argued your case well, I wasn't aware the story came from the Record, if I had then I would've known that there had been some innacuracys. 

For the Record (no pun intended) the story came from David Cox. It has been on many platforms including The Scotsman, BBC and Sky Sports. Just saying.

"David Fox" needs an intervention because your completely unqualified wife said so based on watching one interview of him?

What load of fucking drivel.

+10 drivel points for the use of the word "snowflake".

2 hours ago, an86 said:

It is, but weaponising someone's mental health goes beyond "rough banter." I've no idea what happened on the pitch and neither does anyone else on here, but if anyone is found in the future to be targeting someone in that manner, the authorities should be looking at the harshest possible penalties being enforced against them. It's not really any different from mocking a cancer survivor.

As a society, we're still a million miles from where we need to be when it comes to attitudes towards mental health. Football, as it is on most issues, is even further behind because of the toxic masculinity that still permeates through the game. 

Giving someone pelters is fine, winding someone up is fine, showing passion and having a bit of a rumble is fine. However, mental health is life/death stuff and, for all football is important, it is not life and death. There are lines that just shouldn't be crossed. 

I've never been a fan of the on field character of David Cox, but it's eminently possible that he's a good guy off the park. I hope he continues to get the help and support he needs. I think the best thing the wider football community can do in these situations is listen, rather than immediately go into defensive mode. 

Sadly with this attitude, you yourself are adding to the problem, not actually helping it in any way at all.  We can all see that football is rife with complete morons on and off the field of play but distancing yourself from these people is the best thing you can do if you have the brain capacity to do so.  No one has the right to feel they can just give someone pelters for no reason at all other than they wear a different coloured strip to the one you allegedly support or in life in general.  That's just the definition of someone being a c**t for the sake of being a c**t.

You say that weaponising someones mental health is beyond banter yet slagging someone off / pelters / winding someone up is ok?  How do you know its ok?  If you put yourself in their position, how many times when you've been at your work has someone put you down, given you pelters etc week in week out?  I'm sure that in Cox's case as with other footballers, not just at this level other than being given pelters on the pitch, i suspect that they've had the rejection of playing at a higher level and being told they're not good enough and all of these factors have contributed towards their mental health.  How the individual deals with that is another thing though.  Some have the mental strength to shake things off, water off a ducks back, however, in Cox's case, its probably manifested itself inside his head into something greater to the point where he tried to take his own life and this can now be used by opposing players and fans to put him off during matches.

I've seen comments on here with regard to players invite things on themselves (Bobby Barr as everyone's lower league favourite hate figure) however, he's reacting to getting it in the neck from fans and fans give it back in retaliation.  It's a vicious circle and I doubt that it's going to change any time soon.

Rather than dishing out abuse / pelters / wind ups to the opposition and having a laugh with your mates about it, just support your team, you know, as a 'supporter'.  As you've said, football's not a life and death situation.

For the Record (no pun intended) the story came from David Cox. It has been on many platforms including The Scotsman, BBC and Sky Sports. Just saying.

Could Cox perhaps be using other players as an excuse for his match bans? Is that a possible option? Asking for a mate.

If players walked off every time Cox was bullying or fighting players then the league wouldn’t run.

18 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

I’d imagine we would do that anyway regardless of whether that article was printed. I’ve barely heard any vocal criticism of him from our fans let alone abuse about his mental health. Has anyone heard any such abuse? Lets not start witch-hunting fans.

I have never heard anything said about his mental health at games. He probably gets criticised less than most of our team. He does seem to get treated more leniently by the ref's as well.  He is like a mini tornado sometimes. He needs to chill a bit more in games, but maybe that's the only way he can play. The games would certainly be more boring without him playing, but his well being is more important than him providing entertainment for fans.

Giving players stick for their performance is fine and I am all for players giving stick back as well, but everyone should think how they would feel if it was one of their family getting the abuse. Sometimes it is definitely over the top.