COWDENBEATH 2019-20

The Scotsman and the Daily Record have a piece on David Cox today. It’s alleged one of the Queens Park players was taunting him (mental health issues) when he got sent off. We are threatening to walk off the pitch if it continues in the future. It’s really quite poor if someone stoops as low as this to gain advantage on the pitch.

1 hour ago, onecowden said:

The Scotsman and the Daily Record have a piece on David Cox today. It’s alleged one of the Queens Park players was taunting him (mental health issues) when he got sent off. We are threatening to walk off the pitch if it continues in the future. It’s really quite poor if someone stoops as low as this to gain advantage on the pitch.

Any links? Shocking if true. Cox is quite a volatile character on the pitch and gets involved in all sorts so no surprise that his opponents will try to wind him up. I'd be genuinely surprised though if someone actually mentioned his mental health illness while doing so.     

Cox does come across a bit of a fanny on the football pitch however he should never, ever get abuse regarding his mental health. Particularly poor if oppositions players are taunting him to get a reaction.

The article I read mentions him getting called a “psycho” from fans, the only thing I would say about that is he comes across a wee nutter on the pitch so opposition fans may make comments in that regards without referring to his mental health issues directly. Good that the club are fully backing him though and his suspension is probably a good thing for all parties right now. 

Edit: what we don’t need is comments from him saying he will knock fans out. I very much doubt Cowden fans would ever abuse him regarding his mental health so he can’t go about saying he will knock fans out if he gets any stick, imo. 

Edited by Muzza81

Cox does come across a bit of a fanny on the football pitch however he should never, ever get abuse regarding his mental health. Particularly poor if oppositions players are taunting him to get a reaction.

The article I read mentions him getting called a “psycho” from fans, the only thing I would say about that is he comes across a wee nutter on the pitch so opposition fans may make comments in that regards without referring to his mental health issues directly. Good that the club are fully backing him though and his suspension is probably a good thing for all parties right now. 

Edit: what we don’t need is comments from him saying he will knock fans out. I very much doubt Cowden fans would ever abuse him regarding his mental health so he can’t go about saying he will knock fans out if he gets any stick, imo. 

If my wife was getting abuse because of me, I would be knocking them out. I’m with him on this one.

16 minutes ago, onecowden said:

A very disturbing article. Some people really go to far. His wife and baby getting abuse from one of our fans is beyond disgusting.

They didn’t really get abuse it seems though. If whats said is true, some goon has made a comment that idiotic football fans make countless times a season. “A pay ma money I’ll say what a want” hardly constitutes abuse. They must have been sitting next to the ‘abusers’ at Hampden as well to be 15 inches from them, weird one. 

Cox getting stick from Cowden fans for his erratic behaviour does not constitute abuse about his mental health. I’ve certainly only ever heard the former. 

My thoughts on this is basically. As fans we need to understand what we say about a player (any player of our own team) could be heard my family members. It could be something simple like f**k sake coxy youve been pish the day and the family member then will say something. If its really personal the comments e.g outwith football then this is wrong from the fan to do so.

Its easy to get in a confrontation with a family member it genuinely wont be personal to David Cox. I think Cox hasnt been himself for weeks and said so previously to guys at games. Im going purely on football decisions now and he should have been dropped. Effort is always there with Cox and no one can say any different.

I think opposing fans calling him names or poking fun at his issues is unfortunately to be expected and David has to kinda accept this will happen. HE SHOULD NOT have too but sadly its the case unless stewards/police at games hear something being shouted about his mental health issues or say comments like chuck yourself off the bridge maybe they can step in and chuck that person out.  The club would have to notify our stewards to do so if they hear such things.

The worst for me is players using it as a tool. Do they not realise that yes they gain an advantage in putting Cox off his game but with comments on the pitch from a fellow pro they are actually bringing further demons to David and his family. If you want to get at coxy do what normal people do nip um/stand on his foot at corners all the old tricks. Say he is pish etc etc but dont go down to a level of provoking him with mental scars the lad has. Its disgusting. (as is opposing fans shouts however that is society we live in im afraid)

Cox should also learn that fans from cowden fc getting on his back 99% of the time is down to his footballing ability OR his failings in controlling his temper on the park. The club is right to back coxy and right to put it out in the press that future players saying comments should be put out in public domain. 

I think cox could have worded certain things better but you can tell he is a frustrated and frankly being pushed to his limits which wont be easy to deal with trust me. I sympathise with him and as someone said a 3 game ban may actually not be the worst thing for him. I think as a club we need to really push to try encourage David on the pitch and make him feel we are behind him even more so than we already have been.

I've posted before on the matter, but the celebrations in the Cowdenbeath end when you score to go 1 up in that 2010/11 season is the most scenes I've seen in the away end at EEP, limbs everywhere. Mark McKenzie was absolutely electric in the first half. 

Was at Central Park the following season when you won the title, I still don't get the bouncy song and the reference to Dunfermline, very odd. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I've posted before on the matter, but the celebrations in the Cowdenbeath end when you score to go 1 up in that 2010/11 season is the most scenes I've seen in the away end at EEP, limbs everywhere. Mark McKenzie was absolutely electric in the first half. 

I'll never forget that goal.  Marc McKenzie with a great turn on the halfway line, rolling it Cameron who leaves it for Dempster to slot home.  There was barely any room to move but the place went mental. 

Real shame we decided to defend for our lives in the second half as we had you guys rattled for a while.

I'm disappointed to learn of the verbal abuse from QP player or players to David Cox. Who ever is responsible should know what they need to do now if they haven't already done so. If its immaturity then I hope they learn from it. Hopefully this latest incident will finally bring an end to this nonsense.

Was at Central Park the following season when you won the title, I still don't get the bouncy song and the reference to Dunfermline, very odd. 

The bouncy song is just a song. If you see anything else in it then that’s your issue. The Dunfermline thing, well we are allowed to be narrow minded once in a while.

5 hours ago, qpfc said:

As a Qp fan, can’t defend or accept those actions from whoever it was from our squad. Truly unacceptable 

Sadly this isn't going away. It's a real shame but Coxy hasn't looked the same player this season. I did think it was a bit odd the way he was sent off against QP but assumed it was something he said to the ref. It's bad enough when fans shout abuse at players but when it's other players it's unacceptable.

But the lad has had to live with this for a while now. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/1406706/former-peterhead-footballer-speaks-out-about-mental-health-abuse/

Also I think  we as loyal fans should  bring any abuse about Cox's mental health to the attention of either stewards  or club officials  and if any of our supporters are guilty we should name and shame iam not talking about usual  banter  but  more serious abuse aimed at Cox's mental health 

3 minutes ago, Cowden loyal brethern said:

Also I think  we as loyal fans should  bring any abuse about Cox's mental health to the attention of either stewards  or club officials  and if any of our supporters are guilty we should name and shame iam not talking about usual  banter  but  more serious abuse aimed at Cox's mental health 

I’d imagine we would do that anyway regardless of whether that article was printed. I’ve barely heard any vocal criticism of him from our fans let alone abuse about his mental health. Has anyone heard any such abuse? Lets not start witch-hunting fans.

Not into witch hunt just stamp out nasty digs .  we all have a go at players at time normal ",banter" when players underperfom or screw up or digs at opposition players when they screw up etc iam the first to admit this 

But when it comes to nasty ill informed comments especially at players families ect that's to far

Cox gets off lightly I’m my opinion from the home fans. He is 1 of the most frustrating players I have seen for a while. Pops up with a goal at times though which makes him popular along with his work ethic.

He loses the ball far far too often and his recent red card is inexcusable. Ticking time bomb at some games I have seen and that makes him no use to anyone.

It would be good to see him settle down and concentrate just on doing the simple things well in a game and of course work hard as he does off the ball, but without the aggro. I call him Davy the dodgem as sometimes he just bounces and crashes into folk. It’s like it is important to him to be able to bash opponents out the way.