COWDENBEATH 2019-20

A horrendous result but I had a bad feeling about the game as soon as I heard about Mullen being out with the loanees. Huge couple of games this week now - get a win tomorrow and then let's hope for a decent turn out on Saturday.

Big game on Saturday and hoping we get a decent crowd along (push 700?) to this as well - although it will be Baltic! Sacking amateur football in Aberdeen for this as I am hoping for fireworks...

No doubt we can beat Cove if we have a good at them, get in their faces and get the ball forward quickly. For that I would go with Cox and Renton again even though Allan is the best finisher at the club.

Not many changes we can really make (or need to):

Dabrow

Barr Hamilton Todd

Sneddon/Buchanan Miller Thomas Swann

Smith

Cox Renton

2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Big game on Saturday and hoping we get a decent crowd along (push 700?) to this as well - although it will be Baltic! Sacking amateur football in Aberdeen for this as I am hoping for fireworks...

No doubt we can beat Cove if we have a good at them, get in their faces and get the ball forward quickly. For that I would go with Cox and Renton again even though Allan is the best finisher at the club.

Dabrow

Barr Hamilton Todd

Smith

Cox Renton

Good luck lads, up the Bloo Brazil and take out some of their better players etc. etc.

Not that I have any vested interests as a City fan of course...

2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Dabrow

Barr Hamilton Todd

Smith

Cox Renton

I hope to make it down to Central Park; will be my first time at the ground. Should be a good game with Cowden unbeaten in 7? in the league.

Cove will need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal as the last 5 games or so we’ve had circa 20+ shots and not converted too many. Last night was more of the same. Could have been 7 or 8 nil and Albion we’re still in the game with 15 minutes to go as it was only 1-0. Our defence looked better last night but can be exploited, especially our centre backs.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

Stating the bleedin' obvious probably but we do not appear able to score any goals.

Said it plenty times already, Renton isn't a striker. We should have Allan starting the games, like we did at the tail end of last season. Some may say that Allan is poor when he is on, but he gets very little game time and is expected to instantly bang in the goals with little or no service. Yet, Renton gets the whole game week after week. Be good to see Allan and Smith link up. Hamilton is a key player for us. Big loss when he returns to Hearts.

24 minutes ago, PELE said:

Said it plenty times already, Renton isn't a striker. We should have Allan starting the games, like we did at the tail end of last season. Some may say that Allan is poor when he is on, but he gets very little game time and is expected to instantly bang in the goals with little or no service. Yet, Renton gets the whole game week after week. Be good to see Allan and Smith link up. Hamilton is a key player for us. Big loss when he returns to Hearts.

Don't think we'll win too many games without Hamilton and we can't expect Cox to be the only one scoring. We really are not much of an attacking threat. Just as well we've points in the bag.

Cowden were looking alright in the first half on Saturday but the second half was a complete contrast with only one team looking like taking any points, n the hibs lad in goal again pulling off a good few top class saves. From what I've seen in the few games I've watched, I am expecting a finish just outside the playoff places, but with enough in the tank to thankfully avoid a relegation scrap. Anyway, other than the result on Saturday, it was another top day out and even that funny looking German comedian fella was there!

If we can beat QP on Saturday, we will be 9 points ahead of 5th place, although Elgin will then have a game in hand. Might even be 10 points ahead if Annan manage to lose to Brechin tomorrow and Stirling on Saturday.

Think I would prefer it if Annan beat Brechin though. The bigger the gap between us and the bottom spot the better. Especially if our loanees are recalled by Hearts. 

2 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

Considering our league position, that's a bit pessimistic Drifter.

Am just thinking, if the Hearts kids aren't replaced if and when they return, and if Cowden find the necessary replacements to compensate for the lack of attacking ideas and tactical intent from the sidelines, I don't see much in this league and if Bollan doesn't rectify any potential deeper problems soon, I can see the season 'drifting' away in the second part unless some heads are given a serious wobble, And with such a stunning home shirt, it's only fitting we get a season to remember!

Edited by Drifter

Need more from Connor Smith than hes showing recently, Hamilton surprisingly has been the one of the two, who looked most solid but I really hope we keep both of them beyond January, surely Bollan is looking at a midfielder and striker for January, to give the squad a boost, he needs to take more risks as a manager

9 hours ago, SuperCowden said:

Need more from Connor Smith than hes showing recently, Hamilton surprisingly has been the one of the two, who looked most solid but I really hope we keep both of them beyond January, surely Bollan is looking at a midfielder and striker for January, to give the squad a boost, he needs to take more risks as a manager

First time I'd seen Connor was the Cove match and he was anonymous.  Hamilton looks a tidy enough player.

Based purely on that one game neither will be playing top flight football in the future though.  Could see Hamilton playing in the Championship though.

I think its for the best , they both stick with Cowden, Connor Smith started out very well but seems to have declined recently, in terms of input, Hamilton lacks height but he makes up for it, in positioning  and hard work, Id really like him to keep with us till the end of the season, good option for us.

3 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

First time I'd seen Connor was the Cove match and he was anonymous.  Hamilton looks a tidy enough player.

Based purely on that one game neither will be playing top flight football in the future though.  Could see Hamilton playing in the Championship though.

I think both of them could play in the top flight. Not saying they will, but they do have the potential. I think Smith sometimes suffers because some of the other players are not on the same wavelength as him.

Need to remember that Connor Smith only turned 17 this year, I think there is a smashing player in there if he's used correctly. I love how aggressive he is for his age as well. Hamilton is probably too small to make it as a top flight centre back sadly, which is a shame as he is a smashing player. Constantly talks and very aggressive in the tackle as well.

51 minutes ago, SuperCowden said:

I think its for the best , they both stick with Cowden, Connor Smith started out very well but seems to have declined recently, in terms of input, Hamilton lacks height but he makes up for it, in positioning  and hard work, Id really like him to keep with us till the end of the season, good option for us.

I don't think height is as important as some make out. I would rather have a skillful shorter player than a less skillful tall player. Still too many people involved in football think height is massively important. You can still see this at the kids level, sadly.

There are plenty of tall players who barely get off the ground when jumping for a ball.

It would be a massive boost for us if we could keep both Smith and Hamilton fro the full season.