COWDENBEATH 2019-20

8 hours ago, PELE said:

Taylor, Allan and Swann need to be playing more in the first team. Also, Connelly need to be brought on from the bench in games.

We are winning games all over the place just now. I don’t think we need to be making massive changes based on a result against Kelty’s under 20s.

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

We are winning games all over the place just now. I don’t think we need to be making massive changes based on a result against Kelty’s under 20s.

Yeah. I get that, but we should be looking to push on while we have the players to do it. We have probably had a season's worth of penalties already and teams that do well tend to have front men banging in the goals. We are winning because our defence and keepers have been excellent. Even Bollan realises we are really poor at times in games. 

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Yeah. I get that, but we should be looking to push on while we have the players to do it. We have probably had a season's worth of penalties already and teams that do well tend to have front men banging in the goals. We are winning because our defence and keepers have been excellent. Even Bollan realises we are really poor at times in games. 

But bringing Swann is would be changing part of the defensive unit that you have admitted has been excellent. I agree it may give us better balance but now isn’t the time to make any changes.

Who the heck does Taylor come in for as well? Allan is too good to be on the bench and will get a lot more game time as the season progresses, no doubt about it.

As I said players looking great against Kelty under 20’s means very little in the grand scheme of things. Good to get minutes and some confidence up but it shouldn’t have much of a baring on the first team. 

1 hour ago, PELE said:

The players you mention will get their chance as the season goes on. Injuries and suspensions will happen and it's up to the player to take that chance when it comes.

I'm dead against changing a winning team.  It's the first time we've won 6 games in a row since Mixu was in charge so it's obviously working!

If its not broken, dont fix it, never smart to break up a winning side, not hugest fan of Renton, when it comes to putting the ball in the net but i cant knock the effort hes putting in this season, hes effective in just been up there and causing some problems, for other players in the team to feed off, Allan really did look sharp off the bench on saturday, that goal last night will do him good confidence wise too, got to be same 11 thats been starting the league games against Stirling, I dare them to come break us down, we are finding the net this season too, so they have that to worry about, if they try to take the game to us, lets keep this buzz going about the club, when it was so easy to be negative a few seasons back

4 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

But bringing Swann is would be changing part of the defensive unit that you have admitted has been excellent. I agree it may give us better balance but now isn’t the time to make any changes.

Who the heck does Taylor come in for as well? Allan is too good to be on the bench and will get a lot more game time as the season progresses, no doubt about it.

As I said players looking great against Kelty under 20’s means very little in the grand scheme of things. Good to get minutes and some confidence up but it shouldn’t have much of a baring on the first team. 

I would put Renton and Miller on the bench and play Allan and Taylor and have Swann coming on for Buchanan. I wouldn't play Swann in defence. Or Swann coming on for Coxy sometimes and swap position with Taylor. Swann is much better driving forward taking players on. He is not great at defending.

37 minutes ago, SuperCowden said:

If its not broken, dont fix it, never smart to break up a winning side, not hugest fan of Renton, when it comes to putting the ball in the net but i cant knock the effort hes putting in this season, hes effective in just been up there and causing some problems, for other players in the team to feed off, Allan really did look sharp off the bench on saturday, that goal last night will do him good confidence wise too, got to be same 11 thats been starting the league games against Stirling, I dare them to come break us down, we are finding the net this season too, so they have that to worry about, if they try to take the game to us, lets keep this buzz going about the club, when it was so easy to be negative a few seasons back

If get that about not changing a winning team, but does that mean we will stick with the same team each week now even if we stop winning because it worked for a run of games.

We were winning at the end of last season with Renton out. We have been poor in some of the games and I genuinely don't like having a moan at any players, but I don't think Renton and Miller are better than what is on the bench. Renton doesn't look fit either. I think Allan and Taylor on with Smith and Cox would link up well. Swann would link up with them as well, if not in defence. Although we would struggle to field them all at the same time.

Also, I don't think Allan lacks confidence. He just lacks game time. He looks full of confidence. If anything, he is sometimes too eager and snaps at chances because he wants to score to get back in the team.

All that said, I am still delighted that we are where we are just now. I just think we may miss the chance to kick on and become serious contenders.

45 minutes ago, PELE said:

I would put Renton and Miller on the bench and play Allan and Taylor and have Swann coming on for Buchanan. I wouldn't play Swann in defence. Or Swann coming on for Coxy sometimes and swap position with Taylor. Swann is much better driving forward taking players on. He is not great at defending.

Swann for Buchanan? Surely no unless he’s injured.

If get that about not changing a winning team, but does that mean we will stick with the same team each week now even if we stop winning because it worked for a run of games.
We were winning at the end of last season with Renton out. We have been poor in some of the games and I genuinely don't like having a moan at any players, but I don't think Renton and Miller are better than what is on the bench. Renton doesn't look fit either. I think Allan and Taylor on with Smith and Cox would link up well. Swann would link up with them as well, if not in defence. Although we would struggle to field them all at the same time.
Also, I don't think Allan lacks confidence. He just lacks game time. He looks full of confidence. If anything, he is sometimes too eager and snaps at chances because he wants to score to get back in the team.
All that said, I am still delighted that we are where we are just now. I just think we may miss the chance to kick on and become serious contenders.

We haven't been poor in any of the six games we have won - poor teams don't win games. We haven't always been at our best but that doesn't = poor. If we lose a game/games it's no longer a winning team so the point you make on that isn't really relevant. All the players are making a contribution in their different ways - it's not a case of just picking all the most skilful players and somehow fitting them into your XI. You need strength, blend, power, experience, pace, resilience, leadership and many other attributes to have an effective team.

1 hour ago, PELE said:

Eh? Miller a defensive minded centre midfielder and you would take him out of the team for an attacking left winger? I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all and would seriously cause problems for our excellent defense.

Correct me if I am wrong but Buchanan has been playing RWB which is part of the defensive unit.

Renton has been excellent this season. Regarding the comment about his fitness, you clearly watch a different game because the amount of running and pressing the big man does is brilliant and he runs himself into the ground for the cause. He has been a massive part of our recent success even though he himself may not be grabbing the goals. 

2 big things that Allan is lacking for me at the moment are his work rate, was on the pitch for about 20 mins on Saturday and didn’t see him press once, and he needs to improve on his finishing, that may come with more minutes I get that. 

21 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Looks like Scobbie & Bridey got 90 mins. Good to see Scobbie getting more minutes. Looked good against Gala and just needs game time to be a great signing. Wonder who the trialist was??

Trialist was an ex Cumbernauld Colts player can't remember his name off hand.

Need to stick with the 11 being used in the league, simple as that, last season Bollan didnt even know his best 11, now he has strong plan of how we should be set up & whos starting, I definitely think Renton is putting the effort in, not saying hes goal machine but his height and how hes built, causes problems for defenders and people like Coxy benefit from him in there, Jordan Allan is definitely more of a goalscorer but we are more solid with this 11 right now,

Edited by SuperCowden

Id need to see more of Taylor, didnt think he offered much out wide in the Brechin game, maybe he would be effective in the middle, if injuries come, Smith boy looks great option from what ive seen of him, Hamilton boy lacks height but hes really clever on the ball and positionally wise he makes up for it, ive got lot of time for Allan & Swann but their time will come again, Archie Thomas seems to be doing well so far, thank god its not Blair Malcolm in there this season, jumping out of tackles, we should be grateful and happy right now but its long season, will always be up's & down's, its squqd gqme too and its nice to have options, than feel like we are well short