COWDENBEATH 2019-20

4 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

We had a good first 20 minutes and caused Stenny lots of problems but then Stenny came back into the game and got the goal. The first half was pretty even but Stenny were the better team in the second 45 without being great - they were just better than us and did what they had to.

Valentine was poor and isn't good enough for this level at present. He still looked unfit and should have been replaced earlier. I wonder if Mullen had a knock and that's why he didn't start? Dabrowski had a few nervous moments today but he is still learning - he seems to like coming out for balls but he does drop a fair amount of them.

Thomas had a few nice touches and runs again.

Munro had a decent game and won everything in the air. He isn't anything fancy but will head the ball all day and we played into his hands - on the few occasions that we got the ball down and run at him, we got past him easily (namely Allan for the shot that crashed off the bar and then Cox when Smith saved with his chest). He organises the defence well and yeah, he shouts a lot but he always communicating with the players around him.

No he shouldn't and no he's not.

Mullen suspended first two league games so trying back 4 with JP at RB ahead of league campaign.

9 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

Mullen suspended first two league games so trying back 4 with JP at RB ahead of league campaign.

Pyper has played right back in three of the four Betfred Cup games (he started as a CB against Dundee United with Herd at RB) with Mullen playing left back.

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

I dont think our season will be any longer than yours, both teams season will end on 2nd May.

Neither team will need to bother about play offs at either end of the table.

You're in some state Lex. Writing your season off after a dead rubber cup game before a ball is kicked in the league.

Top fan.

15 minutes ago, Neilly said:

You're in some state Lex. Writing your season off after a dead rubber cup game before a ball is kicked in the league.

Top fan.

I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Makes for a much better season to have low expectations.

3 hours ago, cowden boy said:

Wasn’t impressed with what I saw today, constantly playing high balls to cox and allan when Stenhousemuir have two physical centre backs that moped up everything. Valentine less said about him the better nothing positive from his performance. Stenhousemuir the better team and deserved to win no doubt about it but some of the decisions from the ref were questionable, keeper had his hands round cox’s throat but only a yellow? Allan kicked off the ball ref see’s it but still only a yellow? Onwards and upwards next week.

How can you possibly complain about the Smith/Cox bookings. No “hand around his throat”, which seems to be a common throwaway line when a player grabs someone by the collar, which is what happened here...Cox then threw Smith to the ground. Correctly a yellow for both numpties.

As an aside, there’s no chance Cox didn’t know the play had been stopped when he initially lunged in on Smith, guy seems to be a bit of a bampot. 

12 hours ago, Blue Oktober said:

Jordyn has a fantastic attitude and is very popular across peers, management, board as well as fans and has done a lot behind the scenes to support the club. In essence he is a top guy whom personally I like a lot.

You saying he isn’t leaving then?

Only asking as someone said at the game he’s agreed to leave as he can’t get fitter not playing and Bollan isn’t going to play him.

27 minutes ago, big al said:

Only asking as someone said at the game he’s agreed to leave as he can’t get fitter not playing and Bollan isn’t going to play him.

There are plenty ways to get fit and he really does need to shed some weight.

So better to have a poor game Inthe diddy cup than the league! Bollan is guilty of hoof ball  in some games last season as well (needs to stop!!!!) FinallyJordyn not saying he's the best but comes up trumps when it counts !!!! Game time good for fitness ! We miss Mullen key man for me Mon the signal men!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Cowden loyal brethern
Can't spell

Oh by the way chuffed Harvey's back !!!!!! Hope he has a great season he has nothing to be embarrassed about welcome home!!!!?
Hope he does well for you this season. Spoke to him when he "signed" for us and he seemed a nice lad.

10 hours ago, big al said:

Al what I am saying again at the risk of repetition he is someone held in high regard throughout the club. He has assisted the club in a number of ways beyond his contributions on the pitch.

The comment you make which I have highlighted in here is not something I recognise. In general terms as a former player I am sure you would agree you train to get fit to play rather than play to get fit to play.

Edited by Blue Oktober
typo

1 hour ago, Blue Oktober said:

Al what I am saying again at the risk of repetition he is someone held in high regard throughout the club. He has assisted the club in a number of ways beyond his contributions on the pitch.

The comment you make which I have highlighted in here is not something I recognise. In general terms as a former player I am sure you would agree you train to get fit to play rather than play to get fit to play.

Good diplomatic answer mate.

I hear you.

He seems a really likeable guy, hope it works out for him whatever happens.

Seeing East Fife and Forfar's relative success in the League Cup has got me thinking. In the last 20/25 years (my conscious time supporting Cowden), in cup competitions have we ever defeated either: a top flight club or a club two divisions above us?

I cant ever really remember us being involved in any upsets but a lot of beer has weakened my memory so someone superior to me may point out one I am missing...

8 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Seeing East Fife and Forfar's relative success in the League Cup has got me thinking. In the last 20/25 years (my conscious time supporting Cowden), in cup competitions have we ever defeated either: a top flight club or a club two divisions above us?

I cant ever really remember us being involved in any upsets but a lot of beer has weakened my memory so someone superior to me may point out one I am missing...

The last time you did so was in 2000/01, when you were in the 3rd Division and beat 1st Division Falkirk in the Challenge Cup. The last time you did so in one of the two major cups was January 1993 when you won 1-0 away to top flight Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup.

11 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Off the top of my head

1992/93 beat Partick 1-0 at Firhill in Scottish Cup they were in Premier we were in 1st.

2000/1 beat Falkirk from 2 leagues above 2-1 in the Challenge Cup (aet).

Unfortunately i do remember the days when we had a great Cup record against clubs higher than us. I remember beating St Mirren 3-0 in the Scottish Cup in the 70s/early 80s. Also we beat them in the league Cup as well in the 80s 2-0. I also remeber Hamilton 3-0. Dunfermline 4-0. The league Cup semi final in 1970 being the highlight although i do concede we lost that one to Rangers. We beat Falkirk in the two leg quarter final. Great days. 

Edited by onecowden