COWDENBEATH 2019-20

We played alright in the first half but got caught on the break for the first goal. Never really got started in the second half. Buchanan missed two VERY good opportunities - first one he was clear through on the keeper and waited and waited and waited which allowed Miller to get a challenge in. Second one, he needs to be hitting the target from 6 yards out.

Barr looks a class act. Was impressed with Herd - could be a good find. Thomas looks like he wants to play football but his brain is maybe better than his ability, sees the pass but can't make it. Raw potential is there though. Valentine was blowing out of his arse after about 5 minutes - didn't look fit or particularly good. Don't think he is good enough to start at the moment.

And finally Dabrowski...he made the saves you'd expect him to make but didn't inspire me with confidence. Fumbled a cross, dropped a few balls and played a ball to Pyper when Pyper had his back to him. Kicking wasn't great.

This is all just one game against higher league opposition though and 5 new players bedding into the team so not fair to make a final judgement this early on.

8 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

We played alright in the first half but got caught on the break for the first goal. Never really got started in the second half. Buchanan missed two VERY good opportunities - first one he was clear through on the keeper and waited and waited and waited which allowed Miller to get a challenge in. Second one, he needs to be hitting the target from 6 yards out.

Barr looks a class act. Was impressed with Herd - could be a good find. Thomas looks like he wants to play football but his brain is maybe better than his ability, sees the pass but can't make it. Raw potential is there though. Valentine was blowing out of his arse after about 5 minutes - didn't look fit or particularly good. Don't think he is good enough to start at the moment.

And finally Dabrowski...he made the saves you'd expect him to make but didn't inspire me with confidence. Fumbled a cross, dropped a few balls and played a ball to Pyper when Pyper had his back to him. Kicking wasn't great.

This is all just one game against higher league opposition though and 5 new players bedding into the team so not fair to make a final judgement this early on.

How did Pyper play?

Edited by Aberdeen Cowden
Typo

18 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

When I seen sheer in warming up I actually thought it was a guy who's won a raffle and the prize was a place on the bench for a friendly. I've seen big units play in the lower leagues, but he really is some size.

I can see why youd think that but I for one think his wee goal flurry at the start of 18/19 was what kept us out of the playoffs last season.him coming on as a late sub in games later on in the season usually resulted in putting the fear in opposition defences.you lot were spoiled by owen coyle,not every striker can look like that,or indeed score like that

12 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

I can see why youd think that but I for one think his wee goal flurry at the start of 18/19 was what kept us out of the playoffs last season.him coming on as a late sub in games later on in the season usually resulted in putting the fear in opposition defences.you lot were spoiled by owen coyle,not every striker can look like that,or indeed score like that

Correct. He may carry some timber, but he uses it to good effect. We look far more dangerous when he is on. I would play him upfront with Allan, with Cox in behind them. Fans will always make fun of a player on the heavier side, as we would.

Sheerin is being vastly overrated just now. He absolutely did not keep us out of the play offs. He absolutely should not start for us until he gets a bit fitter as well. Hopefully he manages that as he can be a real asset. 

24 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Sheerin is being vastly overrated just now. He absolutely did not keep us out of the play offs. He absolutely should not start for us until he gets a bit fitter as well. Hopefully he manages that as he can be a real asset. 

This.

Sheerin scored doubles in the Betfred Cup games against Raith and Inverness then scored in the defeats by Annan and East Fife (Irn Bru Cup). He got one in a 4-0 win over Berwick and the 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers. He then did nothing for the rest of the season other than a 20 second cameo against Elgin at the end of the season where he scored.

His goals did not keep us out of the Play Offs.

29 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

beg to disagree-the points he helped us get early on took a lot of pressure off the team,especially inlight of the previous 2 seasons.given the appalling run we had from autumn to spring id say his contribution was,like himself,massive

Edited by highlandcowden

beg to disagree-the points he helped us get early on took a lot of pressure off the team,especially inlight of the previous 2 seasons.given the appalling run we had from autumn to spring id say his contribution was,like himself,massive

The team and management took us up from tenth to sixth - a job collectively well done that is the reality. What appalling run between Autumn to Spring - there wasn't one?

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

Our worst spell of the season was after the Rangers cup tie. had 7 defeats, 3 draws and 1 win. Before that we had won or drawn more than we had lost. Although 6th was a massive improvement over the previous 2 seasons you could argue that bar that spell after the cup game we could have made a push for 4th or got 5th.

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

Nonsense. See my post above - you are vastly over exaggerating his contribution. 

Was at the game saturday.  Craig Barr is a machine and looks exactly the type of player we need - organiser/experienced and looks a top signing. 

Archie Thomas as someone said earlier looks like a football player wants to play the right way has a little burst of pace and good feet. Will get better and I think a good signing. Michael Herd I was impressed with neat and tidy and has a little presence as he is 6ft. Reads the game well and plays the game the right way e.g composed on the ball etc..

Goalkeeper - hmmm will reserve judgement - he is clearly a talker and organiser which is a positive but looked nervous - good height and kicking was ok.

left back. - Nope... he wont do. sorry but I can tell if a player will get better - he is unfit - lightweight and his use of the ball is terrible. He did have a hard time saturday due to being overloaded time and time again which is a nightmare to defend against as it makes you look stupid. He played left wing back first half and this system defo worked better than when we went 4-4-2.

We brought a lad on left mid. Quick... Nothing else.

Jamie Todd is growing into a decent player and although extremly limited passing wise he is a solid defender.

Ok the arguement about Sheerin. Is he overweight - yes. But actually watch what he gives us during the game - he gives us more than renton - that was apparent on saturday. The ball stuck with him. He kept it simple and he was busy. Renton and cox link up better however. Jordan allan and cox should start but nice to have options.

The team defo wasnt as fit as Airdrie on Saturday and perhaps we are a week behind them but these games are about fitness. However come Betfred games i hope we are fitter than we are currently.

5 hours ago, NELLY said:

Was at the game saturday.  Craig Barr is a machine and looks exactly the type of player we need - organiser/experienced and looks a top signing. 

Archie Thomas as someone said earlier looks like a football player wants to play the right way has a little burst of pace and good feet. Will get better and I think a good signing. Michael Herd I was impressed with neat and tidy and has a little presence as he is 6ft. Reads the game well and plays the game the right way e.g composed on the ball etc..

Goalkeeper - hmmm will reserve judgement - he is clearly a talker and organiser which is a positive but looked nervous - good height and kicking was ok.

left back. - Nope... he wont do. sorry but I can tell if a player will get better - he is unfit - lightweight and his use of the ball is terrible. He did have a hard time saturday due to being overloaded time and time again which is a nightmare to defend against as it makes you look stupid. He played left wing back first half and this system defo worked better than when we went 4-4-2.

We brought a lad on left mid. Quick... Nothing else.

Jamie Todd is growing into a decent player and although extremly limited passing wise he is a solid defender.

Ok the arguement about Sheerin. Is he overweight - yes. But actually watch what he gives us during the game - he gives us more than renton - that was apparent on saturday. The ball stuck with him. He kept it simple and he was busy. Renton and cox link up better however. Jordan allan and cox should start but nice to have options.

The team defo wasnt as fit as Airdrie on Saturday and perhaps we are a week behind them but these games are about fitness. However come Betfred games i hope we are fitter than we are currently.

Thanks for the update on the game. Interesting.

re fitness, airdrie  have gone full time this season so expect their fitness to be better.