COWDENBEATH 2019-20

I suppose, now that we're into June, talk is already turning to the 2019-2020 campaign, and the pre-season fixtures will be upon us before know it (as well as, hopefully, some much-anticipated stunning shirts!) we might as well kick off a new thread for the new season.

Just over a year ago, I started the 18-19 thread, and ended the opening post with the following statement....

I'm sure, in my limited knowledge as an outsider looking in, that most would be happy not to have a club that isn't adrift at the bottom of the league for the majority of the season and mid-table security. Though is it right to dream of a play-off push, or is it the recent sun and Bank Holiday intoxication talking there?

Now, a year later and with the expectations of most fans of a mid-table finish away from the end-of-season relegation lottery being met, we're back again and although there's been no signing news yet, there's confirmation of nine players remaining from last season's squad - Jamie Pyper, Jamie Todd, Davie Cox, Fraser Mullen, Bobby Buchanan and Kyle Miller, along with Kris Renton Jordyn Sheerin and Kyle Sneddon, 

Only a few of those, I would consider to be regular starters based on last season, meaning a major recruitment is needed again this summer, and with such a huge turnover in personnel, the team will hardly be hitting the ground running this season.

Is there any news yet on Dave McGurn, or Blair Malcolm?

I reckon this season will be even more unpredictable than the last,. I reckon Stenny, Cove and Edinburgh will be battling it out for the top two places, and don't know if Annan will be in the play-off mix again, which leaves the rest of the league open to anyone either being capable (at this stage) of pushing for one of the last play-off spots, being stuck in the middle a la Cowden last term, or battling against the dreaded drop.

So what - without knowing the recruitment of players at this early stage of the summer - do you hope to see from Cowdenbeath this season? I think my post from a year ago still seems quite apt and while I'd hope the team will be capable of pushing for a play-off spot come the end of the season, I'd probably be equally as happy replicating the finish from this campaign.

Hopefully, with a, ahem, inspired kit design for 2019-20, and some equally inspired signings, it can be one to remember.... and hopefully I can surpass the nine games I attended last season this time around!

MON THE COOS

12 minutes ago, cowden boy said:

After having a look at the teams that were on show during the exit trial at the weekend i’m hoping bollan was there as a few would be excellent additions to our squad.

Excuse my ignorance here... and not wanting to sound like I'm asking what garlic bread is made of.... but what's an 'exit trial'?

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

McGurn hasn't signed anything.

Shit I thought he had. I heard the Shire offered him decent money too so we could easy lose him.

I see Airdrie have announced a friendly against us. Hopefully we start to hear from the club soon, engagement during the close season to engage fans is always good. 

30 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Excuse my ignorance here... and not wanting to sound like I'm asking what garlic bread is made of.... but what's an 'exit trial'?

It is run by the Scottish PFA for out of contract players. The players train and are given advice on careers out of football for a week and then there are trials on the Saturday. The trials are usually attended by current managers, coaches etc., in the hope that some of the players are offered deals.

29 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Shit I thought he had. I heard the Shire offered him decent money too so we could easy lose him.

I see Airdrie have announced a friendly against us. Hopefully we start to hear from the club soon, engagement during the close season to engage fans is always good. 

Aye at  Airdrie as well not the greatest day out.

58 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

The club wait until any signing is officially approved before making announcements which is fair enough as you would just look silly if anything went wrong.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

The club wait until any signing is officially approved before making announcements which is fair enough as you would just look silly if anything went wrong.

Absolutely, it’s still an abysmal fan experience to hear these things from third parties. 

2 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not aware of hearing about any signings from third parties though? And again in the world of instant communication very difficult to stop info getting out sometimes before there is a chance for an official announcement.

Off the top of my head Blair Malcolm was announced through an agent. 

17 hours ago, cowden boy said:

After having a look at the teams that were on show during the exit trial at the weekend i’m hoping bollan was there as a few would be excellent additions to our squad.

Where did you find the team lines?

20 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I've noticed all the dates for the cup ties have been set, but does anyone know when the actual games will be confirmed? Also, does anyone know when the league fixtures will be released? Cheers

According to Hearts on twitter fixtures will be out this week.