Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

A wee plug for Friends of Linlithgow Rose here. No prizes but we do have a way for fans such as yourself contributing into the club through the fans trust.

Direct debit or one off, all monies raised go straight to the first team squad.

If you are interested drop me a note. Just short of £50k donated in the last decade or so so far. [emoji257] [emoji106]

Normally I would but it's just a hassle as I'd have a currency conversion on that.
Cheers for the offer tho

According to transfermarket his last known club was Bo’ness United season 17/18 and Camelon the season before. Think he was on loan from Alloa. Looked a strong player and as the Auld Yin says you can’t lose having him.

Wondered if it was him. Only played a few games for Bo’ness but he looked a strong fit boy and played pretty well. Think he played mostly at right back but might’ve played in centre mid as well.

Well.

Barbour is so high we're basically playing a back three.

High ball straight through the middle, Scullion comes but realises he's not getting it, Thom has drifted right to cover behind Barbour, forward heads it on to a runner who's clean through. 1-0.

Hopefully just teething trouble...

This shape at the back is really wrong. Thom's playing half way to right back, neither one not the other really, leaving Scullion alone. 2-1 down now.

If it's a 4 we need Barbour further back or someone covering behind; if it's a three they have to be narrower.

Should be 3-1, again Scullion in no man's land.

I overheard one of the Blackburn coaches telling their left midfielder (number 7) "keep playing it into those areas, they don't like it." Ain't that the truth.

Suspensions and holidays dictated the team and that showed.

Scullion and Thom were so far apart every hoof from Blackburn left us woefully exposed. Given their combined experience that was worrying.

Without Barbour/Rooster in the middle we looked very lightweight. But to be fair Danny Smith and Meikle grew into the game.

Overall our defence and midfield looked positional clueless or otherwise we are very lazy out of possession.

TC and Allum up front both looked class acts - but need to play closer to each other.

Thought we were poor defensively today. Not sure why Scullion decided he needed to win every ball and go past the midfield at times to do so, got caught under the ball too often. Thom seemed to be sitting wider to cover Barbour also which didn’t help.

At the other end we did create a number of chances and should have had a few more goals. Not sure why we had a goal chopped off for offside in the first half when I didn’t think any of our players touched it before a Blackburn player turned it into their own net

Well you guys will definitely get value for money this season, there will be goals aplenty at both ends.

Talking points for me was the elbow on Andy McQuillan first half which only saw yellow and should have been red, then Andy rushing his shot which perhaps should have made it 3-1 at the break. However I thought we got away with one with the OG which was ruled out, not sure why.

Second half we were asleep and the OG was unfortunate and let you back in it and for 20 mins we were struggling a wee bit, but back we came and at the end should have had a penalty when Danny Campbell again got in behind your backline, stabbed a shot which your keeper blocked with his legs, and with Drummond running into the box towards the loose ball was bundled over. Ref waved it away. Before that Drummond, who had been pushed up from centre half, had another good chance to level.

Needless to say we were cought hopping pushing for the equaliser and conceded a fourth as time ran out, but overall a very good performance against a team which has quality all over the park, but one which has defensive issues. Our long balls were causing havoc, particularly first half.  If we keep that level of performance up we'll stay up.

Thought Danny Smith was the best player on the park, and Darren Mitchell in goals for us pulled off some very good stops.

27 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Well you guys will definitely get value for money this season, there will be goals aplenty at both ends.

Talking points for me was the elbow on Andy McQuillan first half which only saw yellow and should have been red, then Andy rushing his shot which perhaps should have made it 3-1 at the break. However I thought we got away with one with the OG which was ruled out, not sure why.

Free kick was aimed towards the Lithgae boy who was offside and the flag went up. Thing is he didn't touch it even though he was the target. Honestly don't know with the offside rule these days but in the past would have been definite offside, nowadays probably not given offside

I assume that Scullion and Thom aren't the planned CB pairing? Looked very poor first half and got turned too often.
Somehow the long balls into space changed from Blackburn in 2nd half and Scullion was mopping up lots of high balls.

Against better forward lines they will struggle I think.

Smith looks good in midfield and the forward line always dangerous.

Definitely cant imagine them being contenders for the league.

Our right back played left back our best midfielder played right back  our captain who is also a midfielder was suspended.
It was a  makeshift side that got the win, that's all that matters.
We will be right up there.

Don’t think it was our first choice keeper was playing today but could be wrong.

I’m not sure when everyone is fit if what the strongest line up would be or even formation. The good thing this season is we have options.

Same formation as today with Hutchinson in at left back and Barbour and Ruari in midfield with Meikel mate be the strongest. However, we could just as easily go 3 at the back with Thom, scullion and McKinlay (or McKenzie when fit) and Hutchinson down the left and Gray down the right. Midfield 3 of ruari, Barbour and Meikel and pick 2 to go up top.

Our right back played left back our best midfielder played right back  our captain who is also a midfielder was suspended.
It was a  makeshift side that got the win, that's all that matters.
We will be right up there.

Correct - that is far from what our 1st choice will probably look like.

However the CB pairing will be pretty much 1st choice until McKenzie is available. So work is definitely required.

Losing 2 goals today was a warning that we must heed and improve upon or it will be a long season.

2nd half was much better yesterday but still thought we were all over the place at the back but hopefully when we get players back from suspension etc we will see a more settled team!
Given our circumstances yesterday I thought we may have went 3 at the back.

That said given the experience of the defence it was worrying that Scullion and Thom looked like strangers to each other.