Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

Cant help but try and get a dig in on Bo'ness? Hey at least you're in the right thread for once #AllAboutTheBUs
I think you will find my view on plastic pitches has been consistent.

Long before the dark side of the flints started to hire one for their games.

6 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

7 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Your usual shite. On the so called committee defector to the Rose, just make sure you have a life belt at the ready.  However, you’ll know all about the latter being someone one who jumped ship when the going got tough. 

Your usual shite. On the so called committee defector to the Rose, just make sure you have a life belt at the ready.  However, you’ll know all about the latter being someone one who jumped ship when the going got tough. 

He’s a sad, sad, unhappy individual. (Pleasing)

Even the bright lights of Dubai (probably Blackpool) can’t cheer him up enough to not be thinking about Bo’ness constantly! [emoji1]

10 hours ago, Black Dug said:

One more than them and in to the next round. Can't comment on the performance as I wasn't there. However, job done! In the draw for the next round.

I can comment on the performance. It was the worst I've seen from us this season.

Scullion has a case of Gary Caldwell Syndrome and thinks he's a footballer. Instead of rolling the ball into midfield, to Meikle, he constantly attempted the glory ball over the top. Like a bad golfer, his very occasional sweet hit keeps him coming back for more.

Without Ruari, there was no creativity in midfield. The two Smiths are fine as fillers and as foil for guys like Ruari, but they're not nearly good enough to push the game on by themselves. We were lost in midfield and this only led to more hoofs over the top. Barbour could maybe have helped in here, but he was needed at right-back.

The shape of the front three was very unhelpful, as I think it usually has been since Bradley started it this season. The two wide guys, Ronald and TC, play right up against the full backs. This means that they contribute very little in midfield, and when they receive the ball, they're facing the wrong way and under pressure from the defender at their back. This leads to us resorting to balls over the top, which are pretty low percentage. Ronald is dangerous when he has acceleration space onto the defender. Down TC's side it never worked as he doesn't have the pace to beat a full back. It's a waste of his talents.

We were without Ruari, Gray and Hutchinson, and it showed. Same as last week, we invited a weaker opponent into the game by underperforming and giving them hope.

Lastly, Huntly are not nearly as bad as I presumed they would be from their league position. Taking our game today, Fort William's 5-0 win against Vale of Leithen, Deveronvale's draw at Spartans, Lossie's narrow defeat and Clach's draw at Nairn, it all suggests the bottom of the Highland League is better than it's been in a long time. Our visitors today didn't do much wrong and battled hard to get something from the game. 

I can comment on the performance. It was the worst I've seen from us this season.
Scullion has a case of Gary Caldwell Syndrome and thinks he's a footballer. Instead of rolling the ball into midfield, to Meikle, he constantly attempted the glory ball over the top. Like a bad golfer, his very occasional sweet hit keeps him coming back for more.
Without Ruari, there was no creativity in midfield. The two Smiths are fine as fillers and as foil for guys like Ruari, but they're not nearly good enough to push the game on by themselves. We were lost in midfield and this only led to more hoofs over the top. Barbour could maybe have helped in here, but he was needed at right-back.
The shape of the front three was very unhelpful, as I think it usually has been since Bradley started it this season. The two wide guys, Ronald and TC, play right up against the full backs. This means that they contribute very little in midfield, and when they receive the ball, they're facing the wrong way and under pressure from the defender at their back. This leads to us resorting to balls over the top, which are pretty low percentage. Ronald is dangerous when he has acceleration space onto the defender. Down TC's side it never worked as he doesn't have the pace to beat a full back. It's a waste of his talents.
We were without Ruari, Gray and Hutchinson, and it showed. Same as last week, we invited a weaker opponent into the game by underperforming and giving them hope.
Lastly, Huntly are not nearly as bad as I presumed they would be from their league position. Taking our game today, Fort William's 5-0 win against Vale of Leithen, Deveronvale's draw at Spartans, Lossie's narrow defeat and Clach's draw at Nairn, it all suggests the bottom of the Highland League is better than it's been in a long time. Our visitors today didn't do much wrong and battled hard to get something from the game. 
From your last paragraph suggests that overall we did ok against a side who were better than the credit they had been given?

Barbour I know was a full back previously - but last season he excelled in the middle. I thought as a shining light last season we would have built on that - clearly not. As he has been deployed in various defensive roles.

Not sure if we are struggling with injuries or another raft of holidays. But selection seems about availability not choice?

Late September and we still don't know our 1st choice team is a worry.

That said we are in the draw uplike some big spenders from above...!!!

Gordon imo it wasn’t the worst performance s thought we were better today than for example camelon and the Preston games! I agree about the midfield we badly missed ruari in there and once gray is back we need Barbour in midfield! I think as well we look better when we play a 442 like we did at jeanfield! Anyhow it doesn’t really matter it’s all about getting through that’s the main thing! HTG

Gordon imo it wasn’t the worst performance s thought we were better today than for example camelon and the Preston games! I agree about the midfield we badly missed ruari in there and once gray is back we need Barbour in midfield! I think as well we look better when we play a 442 like we did at jeanfield! Anyhow it doesn’t really matter it’s all about getting through that’s the main thing! HTG

On the drop ball incident at the end, I believe that (having spoken to someone who is learning the rules of reffin) that had it gone in it wouldn't have counted as from a drop, two players need to touch it before the goal can be scored. A bit like an indirect free kick to lo extent.

But it was a little worrying that our players didn't switch on to the drop but were complaining about it.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Is Scullion not the guy who cleared off the line in the last minutes to save the day? Or is that conveniently forgotten?

You are fitting in well as a Rose fan when all you can do is pick up on the negatives and spout about them at length. The only positives in your post are about the opposition. Maybe they would welcome your “support”. 

8 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

From your last paragraph suggests that overall we did ok against a side who were better than the credit they had been given?

Barbour I know was a full back previously - but last season he excelled in the middle. I thought as a shining light last season we would have built on that - clearly not. As he has been deployed in various defensive roles.

Not sure if we are struggling with injuries or another raft of holidays. But selection seems about availability not choice?

Late September and we still don't know our 1st choice team is a worry.

That said we are in the draw uplike some big spenders from above...!!!

You've only lost 1 game have you not and the locals still not happy

3 hours ago, Bufty Boots said:

Is Scullion not the guy who cleared off the line in the last minutes to save the day? Or is that conveniently forgotten?

You are fitting in well as a Rose fan when all you can do is pick up on the negatives and spout about them at length. The only positives in your post are about the opposition. Maybe they would welcome your “support”. 

I think all teams have that. We have people like that talk up the opposition and their obsession they are a big team. Not sure why that means they automatically should win. We have people moan about the manager we have lost 3 games and 1 was against auchinleck. Some people are never happy

I didn't see the Preston game and you're probably right, but I thought there was more wrong with the team yesterday than against Camelon when it was one specific area. Camelon are also a much better team then Huntly and exploited the weakness pretty well.

I totally agree about the 442 at Jeanfield, that game was wildly open until we went to that shape and it helped us get some control. I'm generally not a fan of 442 but our three in the middle, with one sitting behind two, has left us open at times.

From what I've seen of Scullion he's been a solid addition. Yes he has faults but don't all non league players. Doesn't hide and tries his backside off - and has quality.
I strongly disagree. He got turned so easily against Camelon, he got pulled into midfield continually at Blackburn and his long balls aren't nearly good enough. He almost sold the jerseys getting caught in possession in the first half yesterday.

I assume there must be a good player in there though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Agree with you there Alan! There’s a few rose fans out there who criticise every result! We don’t have a right to win all the time! Only one defeat so far this season isn’t to bad going! It’s time the rose fans got behind the club and manager![emoji106]

We've only played one decent opponent so far, and lost comfortably (as you saw). I'm relieved we've not had Penicuik or Broxburn yet, or had a tough cup draw.

We're no better than last season at the back or middle, and we're still behind where we were the previous season. It's far from doom and gloom, Allum and Barbour were great additions and Hutchison looks good. We're just not progressing.

I think all teams have that. We have people like that talk up the opposition and their obsession they are a big team. Not sure why that means they automatically should win. We have people moan about the manager we have lost 3 games and 1 was against auchinleck. Some people are never happy
If that's in any way about me, it's idiotic.

"Be happy because you narrowly beat much inferior opposition" is the arguement of a child.

Agree with you there Alan! There’s a few rose fans out there who criticise every result! We don’t have a right to win all the time! Only one defeat so far this season isn’t to bad going! It’s time the rose fans got behind the club and manager![emoji106]
I AM behind the club. I don't boo or complain from the sidelines. I turn up, pay my money and back the team.

What I'm not is blind or stupid.

44 minutes ago, GordonS said:

We've only played one decent opponent so far, and lost comfortably (as you saw). I'm relieved we've not had Penicuik or Broxburn yet, or had a tough cup draw.

We're no better than last season at the back or middle, and we're still behind where we were the previous season. It's far from doom and gloom, Allum and Barbour were great additions and Hutchison looks good. We're just not progressing.

Goodness me. "We've only played one decent opponent". Really? You wouldn't class Jeanfield as decent then - you know the team that has taken 4 off Broxburn and 7 off Camelon? Dunbar beat Tranent at Tranent yesterday with players missing. Gretna beat HoB yesterday. HoB beat Penicuik at Penicuik. 

We could have won much more comfortably yesterday but when the ball won't go in you're always going to be a break away from a poor result. 

We were missing Gray and Ruari - take MacLennan and Barbour out of any midfield and it will make a bit of a difference. We've got McKenzie to come back. The goalkeeping situation is night and day compared to last season. 

But aye, let's be terrified about playing teams in our league - not.