Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

Barbours not a natural defender? He played two seasons at right back for Kilmarnock [emoji23]

This is a poor result but not the end of the world as everyone is losing games.

We have a problem at the back though that's for sure. Losing far too many goals.
You don't have to be a natural defender in terms of physical and technical attributes to play full back. Some of the best full backs couldn't keep weans out a close.

I've seen Barbour lose the ball while last man three times now, each time he's got away with it but against better opposition he wouldn't have. A natural defender gets rid before that can happen. He's decent in the air for his height, but he's not as good in the air as you'd want from a central defender. Laugh all you like, but it's not an argument.

Thom's our best natural defender IMO, McKinley and Scullion both have better defensive skills than Barbour, but the organisational and communication skills of all three have been sorely lacking, so we sadly need Barbour back there to keep it together.

I don't think our problem was defence today anyway, the game was won and lost in midfield.

I do read it that MB is trying things at the back to try and sort things out.

I see your point but I was saying Barbour should be able to slot in there fine. Scullion was brought in as a holding mid and has ended up at CB as default.

Our best defence imo will be Thom, Jamie, McKinlay and Hutchison when all available.

With Jamie out Scullion will be in there, that said Gray is a solid defender and we have a problem at CB and Darren is doing OK at rb. Maybe worth a shot at CB.

Barbour at sweeper should work if we have a CB winning everything in the air.

A lot of people pressing the panic button here it’s only 1 defeat in a league which lets be honest no side was going to go through unbeaten! On the day camelon deserved there win! My only concern would be the starting line up! Barbour for me is wasted in defence after 20mins or so when it was obvious it wasn’t working Bradley should have changed it but he always seems reluctant to do so until it’s to late! After the start to the season it was strange to me that the whole team seemed to be well off if maybe that was just down to how well camelon played! Am still very confident it was only a blip and we will still have a good season![emoji106]

There'll be a lot more ups and downs to come a
I agree but in a tough league like this it's usually home form that wins it.

We can't be shipping 3 at home, to anybody. That's just lack of organisation and/or the wrong players for me.

As I said it's clear MB is trying to get this right and is tinkering but this needs to happen fast. Jeanfield will be fancying their chances at the minute so we need to shore things up quickly.

21 minutes ago, Greygoose said:

That wasn't good yesterday at all, played like last season in that one.  Scullion was terrible, does anyone know what his injury?  McKinlay and Coyne are a bad combination on the left and the former spends most of the game trying to fight with his teammates, he needs played in the centre and the left back we signed played.   What's the thoughts on Ronald, he was poor again.

A big game next week at Dunbar where a reaction is needed.

Or how about lockie was too good for ronald yesterday. Mccroary and kane took care of McKinley and Coyne comfortably. I'm pleased for liam too as coyne scored last yr as liam didnt get near him.

We had 2 in the middle so why did u need a sitting midfielder but our 2 over ran your 3.

You clearly need to sort your midfield and get a comfortable back line. Whether it's your recruitment or just the way you are playing is another question?

Once Jamie is back we look like we have a decent looking back 3 with Thom, Jamie, McKinley/scullion with gray and Hutchison playing wing backs.

Midfield 3 of Meikel, Ruari and Barbour and Allum & TC up top

When is Jamie back?

We can't be shipping 3 at home, to anybody. That's just lack of organisation and/or the wrong players for me.

As I said it's clear MB is trying to get this right and is tinkering but this needs to happen fast. Jeanfield will be fancying their chances at the minute so we need to shore things up quickly.
Simply start by playing players in their natural positions.

Opponents are walking through our middle at will. To many lazy players not picking up when we lose possession.
That wasn't good yesterday at all, played like last season in that one.  Scullion was terrible, does anyone know what his injury?  McKinlay and Coyne are a bad combination on the left and the former spends most of the game trying to fight with his teammates, he needs played in the centre and the left back we signed played.   What's the thoughts on Ronald, he was poor again.
McKinley is dreadful end off.

4 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Jeanfield will walk it with balls over the top.our back four need to be on their game.thats for sure.scullion if he wanders up the field will be caught on his heels.very pacey players for the Swift's.

I do read it that MB is trying things at the back to try and sort things out.

I see your point but I was saying Barbour should be able to slot in there fine. Scullion was brought in as a holding mid and has ended up at CB as default.

Our best defence imo will be Thom, Jamie, McKinlay and Hutchison when all available.

With Jamie out Scullion will be in there, that said Gray is a solid defender and we have a problem at CB and Darren is doing OK at rb. Maybe worth a shot at CB.

Barbour at sweeper should work if we have a CB winning everything in the air.
I don't really disagree with anything there. But if Scullion was brought in to play defensive mid, I can only assume it was on the basis of much better performances than we've seen from him so far. Muuuch better.

Baker mentions "panic"; it's not panic, it's certainly not like 3 seasons ago when relegation was a genuine fear. It's just that, playing like this, IMO we're going to drop too many points to be in contention for the league and the first decent opponent is going to put us out of the cups. We're definitely capable of better than this, tactically and individually.

I can't believe you are suggesting we play a back three.

Gray is never a wing back and those three would lose a lot of goals imo. We need a solid four.

Once Jamie is back we look like we have a decent looking back 3 with Thom, Jamie, McKinley/scullion with gray and Hutchison playing wing backs.

Midfield 3 of Meikel, Ruari and Barbour and Allum & TC up top

22 hours ago, Greygoose said:

Spot on.  (With the exception of playing McKinlay at Centre Half - not seen enough in his performances/attitude to warrant selection - happy for him to prove me wrong)

Excluding the long-term injuries (and Coco), Saturday was the first opportunity to play our strongest available 11.   Instead we chose players out of position and this showed in the performance. 

All the green shoots from a few of the earlier performances were wiped out on Saturday. 

58 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

I wouldn't go as far as that. Other results mean no disaster and the need to get back at it this weekend.

We have been playing some great stuff lately and aren't far away if we get the defence sorted out.

Looking to rely on others - that's only an admission we can't rely upon our own results.  The issue with our defence isn't new - they cost us on numerous occasions last season as well.

Edited by Auld Heid

39 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Looking to rely on others - that's only an admission we can't rely upon our own results.  The issue with our defence isn't new - they cost us on numerous occasions last season as well.

And you don't get points in the cups.

Funny that even your own fans on here agreed with my view on mine. None of your fans agreed with yours on saturday. Funny that.

You’re making no sense as per normal. Maybe get your carer to have a wee read of what you’re typing before posting it