Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

Another two points lost. Our defensive woes continue.

At times it felt we were playing 2-5-3 with both full backs pushed forward and leaving us man for man at the back.

Going forwards we loo ok but out of possession we don't track back quickly enough.

Whilst BF needs time, I would still expect we would look more organised.

3 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Keeper to blame for both Musselburgh goals.

Our midfield are non existent and Musselburgh are walking through us at will. With our full backs pushing forward with us being caught man for man.

Not sure if Selection is choice or forced as we seldom play the same Selection two weeks running.

If you had Jackie Myles in your midfield today, you would have won that match!

Standout player from the game.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game today, and over the piece felt a draw was a fair result. Felt Musselburgh were the better team for long spells today, but Linlithgow finished stronger. A great advert for football at this level. 

And, fair play to the referee. No, he didn't get everything right, but he got most correct, regularly kept up with play and kept talking to the players. 

If you had Jackie Myles in your midfield today, you would have won that match!
Standout player from the game.
It's great to see him back playing.

Unfortunately his time at Linlithgow was ended by injury - as he would have been a massive player for us.

2 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

It's great to see him back playing.

Unfortunately his time at Linlithgow was ended by injury - as he would have been a massive player for us.

Definitely! I was gutted to see Jackie go to Linlithgow but at the time knew why he waned the chance - then the injury.

Came back, playing regularly last season for a Burgh. In many ways I wished Jackie had retired as he wasn’t player I remembered!

But this year, he is getting back to the player he was and currently my Burgh player of season.

I thought it was an entertaining match today even if the quality wasn't that great.  The result was in doubt right to the end with plenty chances at both ends.

I'd have replaced Slaven with Coco as he didn't seem to ever find a Rose player with a pass all afternoon but then he nearly won the game at the end.

Positives...

You'd think the defence will improve as they get to know each other. We had a debutant at right back, two new signings at centre half and left back, and the most experienced has only been here since the summer. When your back four are wearing numbers 16, 23, 24 and 25 (IIRC) then it tells a bit of a story. Injuries will clear up at some point, put McGowan and Thom in there and we should be good enough.

Great to see Roddy back, he was worth two goals today and created a few good chances.

Allison's goal was a work of art.

Towards the end of the game they were showing good levels of intensity and should have won it.

Negatives...

I couldn't really see what the plan was middle-to-front. Hopefully it will come, because relying on individual moments of quality from Ruari and Roddy isn't going to be enough.

Allum looks to be regressing. He was on his heels both directions when he should have come short or gone long, his link-up play was poor and he lost the ball too often. We were notably better going forward after he went off.

Whit's the gaolie daen' Tam? That has to be left to go for a goal kick, played to feet or hoofed into touch. It doesn't matter that he had a couple of decent saves later, they don't make up for the howler.

Still, it was never boring.

Positives...
You'd think the defence will improve as they get to know each other. We had a debutant at right back, two new signings at centre half and left back, and the most experienced has only been here since the summer. When your back four are wearing numbers 16, 23, 24 and 25 (IIRC) then it tells a bit of a story. Injuries will clear up at some point, put McGowan and Thom in there and we should be good enough.
Great to see Roddy back, he was worth two goals today and created a few good chances.
Towards the end of the game they were showing good levels of intensity and should have won it.
Negatives...
I couldn't really see what the plan was middle-to-front. Hopefully it will come, because relying on individual moments of quality from Ruari and Roddy isn't going to be enough.
Allum looks to be regressing. He was on his heels both directions when he should have come short or gone long, his link-up play was poor and he lost the ball too often. We were notably better going forward after he went off.
Whit's the gaolie daen' Tam? That has to be left to go for a goal kick, played to feet or hoofed into touch. It doesn't matter that he had a couple of decent saves later, they don't make up for the howler.

We looked like our formation was 2 - 5 - 3

Our full backs are pushed to high leaving the twins regularly playing man for man at the back. It's all very well playing fullbacks in this manner but they need to realise out of possession they need to get back and cover.

Our 3 CMs - one really needs to show discipline and sit just in front of the twins to provide cover.

Roddy for me showed a great approach yesterday and was my MOTM by a mile.

Agree we don't look organised and that isn't something that can be blamed on Brown needs time. At times you struggle to see our shape.

Does anyone know what's happening with our injury list as I refuse to buy a Gazette.

28 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Positives...

Negatives...

What does IIRC mean?

i can give you a negative that could/would have been a positive.

Why was Collumbine  not on from the start? Looked too good a player to be on the bench, unless he was injured?

21 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

What does IIRC mean?

i can give you a negative that could/would have been a positive.

Why was Collumbine  not on from the start? Looked too good a player to be on the bench, unless he was injured?

A player that wasnt good enough for camelon or boness

4 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Ouch!!

He was a sub in 2nd half but at end of the match was muddier than most players who were on for full 90 minutes.

He got stuck in, whereas some of his teammates didn’t!

For some reason players may not be suited at a club ( or 2 😂) butter the time Collumbine was on, I think, he was better than most who started.

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

Our full backs are pushed to high leaving the twins regularly playing man for man at the back. It's all very well playing fullbacks in this manner but they need to realise out of possession they need to get back and cover.

Our 3 CMs - one really needs to show discipline and sit just in front of the twins to provide cover.

Agree we don't look organised and that isn't something that can be blamed on Brown needs time. At times you struggle to see our shape.

Does anyone know what's happening with our injury list as I refuse to buy a Gazette.

We've got 5 on the injury list. Hard to put times on them because most will get better with rest and physio. One needs an operation. 

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

Was Roddy your Linlithgow MOTM or the game’s MOTM? 

Jackie Myles was my MOTM, for game. Just my thought! 

Two new signings?

I can’t speak for Camelon but will give credit where it’s due - I think most BU fans thought he was a good player and wouldn’t say that he wasn’t good enough. For me, a player who perhaps suffered from his own versatility. The boy could do a job in a couple of positions but didn’t appear to have a best position and was just unfortunate that at the time, there always seemed to be somebody better in the positions he could play.

19 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Was Roddy your Linlithgow MOTM or the game’s MOTM? 

Jackie Myles was my MOTM, for game. Just my thought! 

I was expecting more from Jackie yesterday but luckily didn't see it.  I'm not sure I saw anyone really shine yesterday but it was still an enjoyable match.  

It's a pity Jackie's time at Linlithgow was cut short as he is a class player.