Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

On 12/10/2019 at 20:38, gogsy said:

Got them relegated first? And left them in a poor state last season. Didnae even manage one  win every three games while manager.

2015/16 finished 8th/10 11 wins out of 36 games finished one point away from relegation playoffs

2016/7 finished 10th/10 11 wins out of 36 games , never out of bottom 2 relegated

2017/8 finshed 4th/10 23 points behind league winners Montrose 22 points behind runners up Peterhead , won playoffs

2018/19 sacked by November

Overly simplistic analysis. His teams were generally competitive despite having a low League 1 budget and not having a top League 2 budget when in that league. His sacking was widely seen as harsh, pretty early in the season and just a few points away from the higher echelons of the league. It certainly didn't work out well for Stenny. His record at Stenny is far more impressive than anything Barry Ferguson did at Clyde. Clever guy and determined to succeed. Hope he goes a great job. 

And all the best against the Bairns. They have some good players but their manager is poor. You'll probably never get a better chance to beat them. 

Can't help but think that if a manager had a genuinely impressive record in L1, he wouldn't be managing three tiers lower. At this level any manager, and any player, is by definition going to be a compromise. His record looks respectable in the circumstances and I'm not going to turn my nose up at someone with a promotion from L2 on their CV.

My only observation from Sunday was that I thought he was quite quiet on the side lines but took notes. This may be down to getting to know his players or his preferred style - I don't know.

Perhaps that worked as he could relay his observations and instructions at half time and we were certainly more dominant in the second half but time will tell and a very good start so long may it continue.

Who is in charge of falkirk now? Is it McKinnon? He'll know the set up of Prestonfield from his time at lochee although I think we had a decent record against him at home with them.

HTG!

58 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Seen a few posts elsewhere about the grass bank at the school end likely being out of bounds. Was it out of bounds when you lot played Forfar?

I know from speaking to a Raith fan back when they played the wee Rose  in the Scottish that they had been told prior to the game that the banking was out of bounds but that they still used it anyway as there was nothing to stop them from doing so.

Edited by Jason King

1 hour ago, Specky said:

My only observation from Sunday was that I thought he was quite quiet on the side lines but took notes. This may be down to getting to know his players or his preferred style - I don't know.

Its his style, wait until you are losing and he wants to make a substitution - then you'll see the notes come into full effect.

Fair point but you are forgetting Brown is in a way already part of the family even though he didn't play here.

It must feel pretty special turning up to a play where your Grandad's name is above the door and his brothers above the stand.

As you say on paper we've signed a League manager. Great appointment.

Can't help but think that if a manager had a genuinely impressive record in L1, he wouldn't be managing three tiers lower. At this level any manager, and any player, is by definition going to be a compromise. His record looks respectable in the circumstances and I'm not going to turn my nose up at someone with a promotion from L2 on their CV.

11 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Fair point but you are forgetting Brown is in a way already part of the family even though he didn't play here.

It must feel pretty special turning up to a play where your Grandad's name is above the door and his brothers above the stand.

As you say on paper we've signed a League manager. Great appointment.

So was Todd Lumsden but the reality was somewhat different.   Brown should be afforded no favours because of his relations and judged purely on his abilities to do the job in hand.

That said, he should and will be given every opportunity to prove himself on his own merits.  I think he has shown in his time at Stenhousemuir that there is underlying potential there to be an accomplished Manager.   

I just hope he is given time by ALL - Something which hasn't always been the case in recent years.

5 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

So was Todd Lumsden but the reality was somewhat different.  

I'm not sure he was all that bad. He inherited a very poor squad and he failed to do enough to turn it around, but in different circumstances maybe he could have built a decent team. And he got us into as good shape as possible for the semi final against Talbot, in which we only conceded one goal across the two games. The real problem was his predecessor. 

I'm not sure he was all that bad. He inherited a very poor squad and he failed to do enough to turn it around, but in different circumstances maybe he could have built a decent team. And he got us into as good shape as possible for the semi final against Talbot, in which we only conceded one goal across the two games. The real problem was his predecessor. 

Not taking anything away from how bad his predecessor was but Lumsden was utter gash

So was Todd Lumsden but the reality was somewhat different.   Brown should be afforded no favours because of his relations and judged purely on his abilities to do the job in hand.
That said, he should and will be given every opportunity to prove himself on his own merits.  I think he has shown in his time at Stenhousemuir that there is underlying potential there to be an accomplished Manager.   
I just hope he is given time by ALL - Something which hasn't always been the case in recent years.

I don’t know if the spell at Stenny is even a fair representation of Brown. You could argue whoever was there at the time would’ve been on a hiding to nothing.

Something that folk also seem to be overlooking that probably helps when managing a football team, is that Brown was a fucking decent player himself. Same age and played against him dozens of times throughout high school/boys club years and could always see he was going to play pro.

55 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I don’t know if the spell at Stenny is even a fair representation of Brown. You could argue whoever was there at the time would’ve been on a hiding to nothing.

Something that folk also seem to be overlooking that probably helps when managing a football team, is that Brown was a fucking decent player himself. Same age and played against him dozens of times throughout high school/boys club years and could always see he was going to play pro.

A remember the boys team he played in a lot off that team went into play at a higher level Hibs Newcastle etc 

A remember the boys team he played in a lot off that team went into play at a higher level Hibs Newcastle etc 

It’s a only a higher level now that the Rose are senior. A few years back, who could say if that was really a higher level..........[emoji6]

Anyone who signed Mark Williams deserves no praise - not forgetting the other dross Lumsden signed.

I actually thought he was good at us and would’ve happily kept him on the season after Lumsden left. Don’t even think he plays any more.

13 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

I actually thought he was good at us and would’ve happily kept him on the season after Lumsden left. Don’t even think he plays any more.

He would comfortably make the worst Rose team of the last 40 years. Heart of a mouse.

44 minutes ago, Pharos said:

I see Rose have posted to say that Supporters Club members will get ticket priority - is that the same thing as social club membership or is there a separate supporters Club? 

Separate

Edited by lithgierose

I was listening to Brown Fergusons interview from Rocksport Radio. Dispite the presenters complete lack of knowledge of what is going on. I loved the part where the presenter said yous were 5th below Newburgh and Rosyth etc lol. Brown seems quite keen to progress. Comes across quite professional. We will see if he will get time to get it right. I'm sure it will be a tough game for us tomorrow because I'm sure they will be looking to impress the new boss.