Queen's Park 2019/20

50 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Perhaps you could tell us where we are going to get the money to pay the players when we are losing our major source of income when we sell Hampden to the SFA?

If Hampden was a ‘major source of income’ and you haven’t been paying players you should be absolutely fucking minted. 

Edit: you will get the money to pay players the same way that everyone else does. Gate money, hospitality, lotteries, merchandise, sponsorship, cup runs, league money. 

Edited by Muzza81

If Hampden was a ‘major source of income’ and you haven’t been paying players you should be absolutely fucking minted. 
Edit: you will get the money to pay players the same way that everyone else does. Gate money, hospitality, lotteries, merchandise, sponsorship, cup runs, league money. 
I agree that we should be able to fund paying paying players in the exact same way all other clubs at our level do. However, you raise the point of where we spend our money at the moment if we're not paying players, and as far as I know the answer is to fund our youth setup and community programmes. I'm led to believe that without the income from Hampden, we may well have to cut back on our spending in these areas, and if we then start paying our players there may be very little money for these things left. Of course it's possible that we could secure some investment to help keep these things going, but there are no guarantees. Personally I think that we will inevitably be forced to go part time/professional if we want to maintain SPFL status, and the sale of Hampden will probably mean that debate has to now be had sooner than before. I have said before that I would be for that change. However, while I know for some the success of the first team is the priority, I would be saddened if the great youth programme and community work suffered as a consequence. I don't know what the answer is I'm afraid, but the next few years will definitely be very interesting times.

It is possible we may be able to stay in senior football whilst staying amateur but there is no doubt in my mind that we have a much better chance if we go professional in some way.

No guarantee of course but for me the most important thing is to maximise our chances. Staying amateur in a senior professional league for so long was a great achievement. But we have to adapt to different times.

I know some will disagree but staying senior is more important to me than staying amateur.

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Pretty sure that a lot of that money over the years went towards paying off the debts we owed for the Hampden re-build 

1 hour ago, Ben Reilly said:
1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

I agree that we should be able to fund paying paying players in the exact same way all other clubs at our level do. However, you raise the point of where we spend our money at the moment if we're not paying players, and as far as I know the answer is to fund our youth setup and community programmes. I'm led to believe that without the income from Hampden, we may well have to cut back on our spending in these areas, and if we then start paying our players there may be very little money for these things left. Of course it's possible that we could secure some investment to help keep these things going, but there are no guarantees. Personally I think that we will inevitably be forced to go part time/professional if we want to maintain SPFL status, and the sale of Hampden will probably mean that debate has to now be had sooner than before. I have said before that I would be for that change. However, while I know for some the success of the first team is the priority, I would be saddened if the great youth programme and community work suffered as a consequence. I don't know what the answer is I'm afraid, but the next few years will definitely be very interesting times.

It is inevitable that it will, I can see most of it getting scrapped. Maybe not immediately but probably more of a phasing out process. However it should be remembered that for the vast majority of our history we have managed fine without it, all we had really was the Under 18s up until around the mid 90s. Apart from the Stark era, players from our youth system have always been a minority in our first team. Other clubs our size manage to cope without one. We'll need to learn and adapt. 

Edited by Mick1867

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Yes it is. Professional football. We can't keep asking managers to do well on a Saturday hopping on one leg and an arm tied behind there back. Successive committees have ignored the grotesquely huge elephant in the room for many years (don't start me on the timeline regarding the stadium) but we cannot go on like this. Berwick won't be back in the SPFL and if Rovers or Cowden go down they'll be overtaken too. If we just stand in line waiting for our turn we deserve to go down. It's painful to watch.  Being completely Amateur just isn't an option anymore.

Absolutely. The pyramid has changed everything, Hampden is the double whammy that requires us to speed up the inevitable. 

3 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Perhaps you could tell us where we are going to get the money to pay the players when we are losing our major source of income when we sell Hampden to the SFA?

How does every other club, some who will still have smaller supports and poorer infrastructure, manage? 

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

As a Club If you look at the Cowdenbeath Accounts I think that you will find that your club does not survive on the above but on the interest free loans that have been given to the club by wealth directors and supporters as indeed many clubs at our level and indeed Rangers and Hearts do plus hearts have their foundation putting money into the club. The problem is that I do not think that we have this type of director at our club or indeed supporters with the money that would be required.

23 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

As a Club If you look at the Cowdenbeath Accounts I think that you will find that your club does not survive on the above but on the interest free loans that have been given to the club by wealth directors and supporters as indeed many clubs at our level and indeed Rangers and Hearts do plus hearts have their foundation putting money into the club. The problem is that I do not think that we have this type of director at our club or indeed supporters with the money that would be required.

I don't think our board room is the Billionares Boys Club but yes various people have put money into the club.

QP losing Hampden is a bit similar to CFC when the majority shareholding in the club was sold. We went from getting rental from the stock car racing, market etc to ziltch.

Its hard going and what the club achieved in the first half of the subsequent decade was remarkable maintaining Championship football for 3 successive seasons. The drop down the leagues has made it tougher but you just have to adjust accordingly.

Our support have also done their bit and raised quite a few quid with various things i'm sure QP fans could do the same you don't all to be putting large sums in small ones add up.

What ever happens i'm sure you will survive you will at least have a redeveloped Lesser Hampden to start with which I presume you will own?

Edited by cowdenbeath

17 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

As a club (no capital C) if you look at Cowdenbeath you will see we are in quite a unique situation as we do not own the ground. To simply say ‘Ach clubs can’t be self sufficient at this level’ is basically giving up. 

3 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Nail. Head. Hit. So things would need to change at Committee level then? Or Directors as they now call themselves. I've no doubt they give a lot of their time to the club but sometimes, even with good intent, one can be a busy fool. It's still beyond me that with 20 years notice to sort it out we've ended up being tossed out our home with barely the shirts on our backs. Main reason; those in charge sat back believing/hoping/preying that the SFA would continue to be our sugar daddy. Consequence; no negotiating position of any strength. Outcome; rogered!

We're based in the biggest city in Scotland. Yes, there's also big competition but pro-rata we should be able to get some financial support. The deal from Hampden is poor but we'll still be on a footing that probably 80% of Scottish clubs would love to be on. But it needs a different skillset and attitude from the club, top to bottom.

1 minute ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I would have thought that Queens would have had a fair smattering of old school tie and merchant class potential backers - more external wealth than for example you would expect from say Cowdenbeath 

Don’t you know Cowdenbeath is more affluent than Glasgow and we have hundreds of millionaires in the town chipping in. 

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Nail. Head. Hit. So things would need to change at Committee level then? Or Directors as they now call themselves. I've no doubt they give a lot of their time to the club but sometimes, even with good intent, one can be a busy fool. It's still beyond me that with 20 years notice to sort it out we've ended up being tossed out our home with barely the shirts on our backs. Main reason; those in charge sat back believing/hoping/preying that the SFA would continue to be our sugar daddy. Consequence; no negotiating position of any strength. Outcome; rogered!

We're based in the biggest city in Scotland. Yes, there's also big competition but pro-rata we should be able to get some financial support. The deal from Hampden is poor but we'll still be on a footing that probably 80% of Scottish clubs would love to be on. But it needs a different skillset and attitude from the club, top to bottom.

As you say your in the biggest City in the country and i'm sure there are a percentage of its residents who want to have hee haw to do with either side of the old firm.

Its probably different now but when I was a youngster first going to watch our away games the QP mob at Hampden always seemed a bit of a posh lot compared to other places:lol: I'm quite sure there will be a good few quid in the Queen's support.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Hampden always seemed a bit of a posh lot compared to other places:lol: I'm quite sure there will be a good few quid in the Queen's support.

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I would have thought that Queens would have had a fair smattering of old school tie and merchant class potential backers 

Bit out of time there lads. It's more Matalan than Moss Bros these days.

QP managers job must be one of the hardest in Scottish football, to have the heart of your team ripped out at the end of every season and having to rebuild is a monumental task, I’m very worried for QP this season, I hope marko can pull some sort of rabbit out of the hat and make some amazing signings but the club directors need to move fast about the amateur status as if they drop to LL it’ll take some amount of money to climb back up and it won’t happen paying no wages to the players