Queen's Park 2019/20

17 minutes ago, The Spider said:

It's one thing advocating that the proposed change would be for the better, but abandoning ship if things don't go that way is hardly going to improve the situation.

I assume the Committee are going to put a plan in front of the Members and then ask them to back it.

What happens if it is rejected? You have a Committee wanting to go in one direction but are not allowed to do so by the Members (no matter the size the No vote). You can't just continue as if nothing has happened. There has to be fallout!

2 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

I assume the Committee are going to put a plan in front of the Members and then ask them to back it.

What happens if it is rejected? You have a Committee wanting to go in one direction but are not allowed to do so by the Members (no matter the size the No vote). You can't just continue as if nothing has happened. There has to be fallout!

There is one plan on the table. If the vote doesn't carry, we're in a position where we have no plan, several probable resignations, and a toxic atmosphere around a football club where it's fairly clear that the majority want change. 

A welcome post. Out of interest, on the days you visit what is that brings you out?

My Grandad lived on Stanmore Rd and would watch Queens Park, as a kid I’d go to the odd game with him. Mostly Scotland games at Hampden. The first game I properly remember paying my own money to watch Queens Park was a B&Q Cup game against Clydebank when they lost 5-0 or 5-1.

I’d go every so often to games that intrigued me, Ross County and Caley Thistles first season in the league, that sort of thing.

I’ve drifted away from Celtic as I’ve gotten older, general malaise at the same old teams capitulating at Celtic park. I’ll still go to European games, my dad etc still have season tickets and I can go when I like but to be honest I preferred watching 90s Celtic when fans went in hope rather than today’s spoiled lot who expect wins and it’s all rather meaningless.

Anyway long story longer, Queens Park are my local team, I’d like to see them do well. I go when I can if it doesn’t clash with Glasgow Warriors games.

As a local I know more about what’s going on with the potential closure of the bowling club and plans for the letherby triangle than I do with what’s potentially happening with Queens Park and the move to Lesser Hampden and any plans for developing the ground there.

They need to put themselves out there a bit more and engage. It seems ridiculous that people in the area would have no idea that there’s a game of football going on in the giant stadium on their doorstep every other Saturday and not just at cup finals and Scotland games.

At the moment I don't think anyone can confidently predict which way the vote will go, and whilst there will be understandable delight from many if the motion is adopted, for the good of the club there needs to be an acceptance of it if it doesn't.  A wringing of hands and cries of "we're doomed" would only hasten the outcome those in favour of the change are rightly so keen to avoid.

12 minutes ago, The Spider said:

At the moment I don't think anyone can confidently predict which way the vote will go, and whilst there will be understandable delight from many if the motion is adopted, for the good of the club there needs to be an acceptance of it if it doesn't.  A wringing of hands and cries of "we're doomed" would only hasten the outcome those in favour of the change are rightly so keen to avoid.

It's a bit like the Brexit argument in the sense that you can't expect people to find optimism in something that they truly believe is going to be a catastrophe. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

It's a bit like the Brexit argument in the sense that you can't expect people to find optimism in something that they truly believe is going to be a catastrophe. 

I'm not asking for optimism from either side...........just an acceptance of the outcome whichever way it goes and that we move on and make the best of it afterwards..........................and the same goes for our vote 🙂.

Just now, The Spider said:

I'm not asking for optimism from either side...........just an acceptance of the outcome whichever way it goes and that we move on and make the best of it afterwards..........................and the same goes for our vote 🙂.

I will accept the result if over 50% of the membership want change. 

22 minutes ago, The Spider said:

It all comes down to the plan presented. If a credible and financially secure plan is put before the Members then the Yes vote should carry the day.

For the good of the Club the majority have to be dictated to by the minority. Seriously???

For the good of the Club, should the minority not accept the majority?

If it was 70% - 74.99%, then I would go again and ask those that voted against to change their vote for the good of the Club!

14 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

It all comes down to the plan presented. If a credible and financially secure plan is put before the Members then the Yes vote should carry the day.

For the good of the Club the majority have to be dictated to by the minority. Seriously???

If it was 70% - 74.99%, then I would go again and ask those that voted against to change their vote for the good of the Club!

Vote doesn't carry. Multiple, possibly all, committee members resign. This is where the folk who want change should hold firm. Either folk who want to remain amateur have to take responsibility for their votes and step up or we have an unsustainable deadlock, which might focus a few minds.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

Completely agree with your first sentence, but thereafter you lose it a bit as it's the law that's doing the dictating, not any potential minority. I previously said that I'd support any move whereby the majority should carry the day, so your final sentence doesn't go far enough in my view. If 51% of the membership were in favour of going pro then personally I think there's a moral obligation on the 49% to agree for a 2nd vote and change accordingly. However, if less than 50% were in favour, then I'd suggest there should be an equally compelling argument for us all to accept the outcome and move on, but I can't say I'm confident the whinging would cease.

Also, any talk of Committee Members potentially behaving like spoilt brats and resigning if the motion isn't carried is quite frankly disrespectful nonsense, and if Committee Members weren't adult enough to respect democratic outcomes then they wouldn't have applied to be on Committee in the first place.

5 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Completely agree with your first sentence, but thereafter you lose it a bit as it's the law that's doing the dictating, not any potential minority. I previously said that I'd support any move whereby the majority should carry the day, so your final sentence doesn't go far enough in my view. If 51% of the membership were in favour of going pro then personally I think there's a moral obligation on the 49% to agree for a 2nd vote and change accordingly. However, if less than 50% were in favour, then I'd suggest there should be an equally compelling argument for us all to accept the outcome and move on, but I can't say I'm confident the whinging would cease.

Also, any talk of Committee Members potentially behaving like spoilt brats and resigning if the motion isn't carried is quite frankly disrespectful nonsense, and if Committee Members weren't adult enough to respect democratic outcomes then they wouldn't have applied to be on Committee in the first place.

I accept and respect the first part of your reply.

I totally disagree with the second part. It is not being disrespectful and acting in a childish manner. The Committee's responsibility is to run the Club on behalf of the Members. It is their job to guide and advise the Members on the best course of action for the Club. If a course of action is decided and backing sought from the Members and then rejected by the majority then Committee are either out of step with the Members or they have failed to get across the correct message to the Members. In either of those 2 cases it is only right and proper they should consider their positions.

3 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

I accept and respect the first part of your reply.

I totally disagree with the second part. It is not being disrespectful and acting in a childish manner. The Committee's responsibility is to run the Club on behalf of the Members. It is their job to guide and advise the Members on the best course of action for the Club. If a course of action is decided and backing sought from the Members and then rejected by the majority then Committee are either out of step with the Members or they have failed to get across the correct message to the Members. In either of those 2 cases it is only right and proper they should consider their positions.

With respect I don't agree that it is the Comittee's "job" to guide and advise. I agree that they are there to run the club on behalf of the members but that, in my mind falls short of guiding and advising. That runs close to dictating. They can, and do make proposals for the members to vote on and then take the responsibility to run the club as best they can taking the voting results into consideration. I do not see it as a resigning issue unless any individual feels not up to the job.

Footnote from yesterday's game: announced attendance was just over 650. Stand was full though the comps, sponsors and committees would have half-filled it. EC end of the terrace was busy but not near packed. Looked similar to recent visits there so I'd guess that's about the norm. Our contribution outwith the stand was an admirable 41.

They're now in the top 4 and just qualified for the quarters of the Challenge cup, also making progress in the Scottish. Their go-to striker, Shane Sutherland, if not the best paid in the league will be right up there. For that investment, he's top of the L2 scorers list with a 49% on-target rate. Their first team squad seems to be an ecletic mix of ex- Aberdeen/Ross County, SPFL Championship, L1 & L2, English non-league and ECFC Academy. Borough Briggs isn't state of the art but well maintained and safe and appropriate for this level of football. It's a good, sutainable business model.

Elgin has a population of 23,000. The Glasgow council ward of Langside has 29k; Pollokshields 28k; Southside Central 25k. We have numerous SPFL teams within a much tighter radius than Aberdeen to Dingwall. Their rejects would significantly enhance our efforts, but they would need some incentive. And if we are bold enough to employ some professional help we could cover every brick in that big red wall with local advertising, nae bother. And there's a fair chunk of land we could make better use of too.

The quesion for me is not if this could work; it's how do me make it work. 

3 hours ago, The Spider said:

Why on earth would/should they stick around and enact a way forward that they believe is going to be harmful to the club? The moral obligation will be on those who voted to remain amateur to step forward with their vision for the future and put it in place. The people at the top will have to actually believe in what they're doing for it to have any chance. 

I know the priority seems to be discussing the pros and cons of going professional, however has there been much info from the club to fans/committee members regarding the work to be carried out at lesser Hampden to make it viable for playing in the league next season?

I know the priority seems to be discussing the pros and cons of going professional, however has there been much info from the club to fans/committee members regarding the work to be carried out at lesser Hampden to make it viable for playing in the league next season?

At the last information evening it was mentioned that some of the details and the scale of the redevelppment should possibly be considered as part of, or after, the vote. The question being is there any point spending the time, effort and money building a second "away" stand if we're likely to end up in the Lowland League with not enough people in attendance to make it worth opening it.

So the bare minimum would be to put a roof on that small open stand left over from the commonwealth games? Plus turnstiles, kiosks for food and that would be it?

Hopefully they release some sort of detailed plan going forward. Once the whole pro/amateur issue is settled.

My Grandad lived on Stanmore Rd and would watch Queens Park, as a kid I’d go to the odd game with him. Mostly Scotland games at Hampden. The first game I properly remember paying my own money to watch Queens Park was a B&Q Cup game against Clydebank when they lost 5-0 or 5-1.

I’d go every so often to games that intrigued me, Ross County and Caley Thistles first season in the league, that sort of thing.

I’ve drifted away from Celtic as I’ve gotten older, general malaise at the same old teams capitulating at Celtic park. I’ll still go to European games, my dad etc still have season tickets and I can go when I like but to be honest I preferred watching 90s Celtic when fans went in hope rather than today’s spoiled lot who expect wins and it’s all rather meaningless.

Anyway long story longer, Queens Park are my local team, I’d like to see them do well. I go when I can if it doesn’t clash with Glasgow Warriors games.

As a local I know more about what’s going on with the potential closure of the bowling club and plans for the letherby triangle than I do with what’s potentially happening with Queens Park and the move to Lesser Hampden and any plans for developing the ground there.

They need to put themselves out there a bit more and engage. It seems ridiculous that people in the area would have no idea that there’s a game of football going on in the giant stadium on their doorstep every other Saturday and not just at cup finals and Scotland games.

Great to have the input of someone with more of an outside perspective of the club, as well as someone in the immediate vicinity of Hampden.
As I've said before on here, there are people on our doorstep who would be open to an alternative to the Old Firm if we just make ourselves more visible. Northsea80 is just one example.
My story is very similar to his, my old man was Queens fan as it was his local team growing up. Despite his best efforts, when I started getting into football in the late 80's & early 90's I drifted towads Rangers because they were who I saw on telly winning everything and playing in Europe. Eventually, when I was old enough to know better, I got fed up with all the nonsense that goes along with the old firm, and found myself tagging along with friends and family to Hampden, now I'm a member and fully invested in the future of 'my' club, and glad to have somewhere to bring my football mad wee boy where I dont have to explain why people are singing songs about Northern Ireland.
I'm not worried about there not being enough interested people out there to fill a 1500-2000 seat Lesser Hampden to watch a competitive local SPFL club, but I'm worried that we might not decide to give ourselves the best opportunity to be competitive enough to interest those people.