Queen's Park 2019/20

One way of looking at it is that since the resumption of league football after World War 2 Queen's Park have never succeeded in spending more than 2 consecutive seasons outwith the bottom tier of the Scottish League. As the League has expanded and split into more tiers Queen's have inevitably gravitated towards the new bottom tier. With the current developments in the Lowland League especially, Queen's are in very real danger of slipping into the regional tier.

The raids on our youth system and the end of the dedicated one club amateur (Tony Quinn and Richard Sinclair the last of the breed?) mean that it really is time to recognise reality. And as for those who rightly admire the efforts of an amateur club to compete in a professional league, strictly speaking we haven't been purely "amateur" since we started fielding professional players on loan.

I attended both discussion meetings but as I am not a member I will rightly be having no say in the actual decision making process. I hope that there will be more clarity available to members at the egm regarding financial implications and the future structure of the club, especially with regard to the youth system.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

Twice! Once more and the Club is doomed!

There are a number of clubs with high aspirations in the lowland league and some good football. Don't think it's the end of the world as many claim. There is much speculation of changing league structure and it's quite likely current lower leagues will be expanded.

There are a number of clubs with high aspirations in the lowland league and some good football. Don't think it's the end of the world as many claim. There is much speculation of changing league structure and it's quite likely current lower leagues will be expanded.

We’d never come back up if we were relegated as an amateur club.

One way of looking at it is that since the resumption of league football after World War 2 Queen's Park have never succeeded in spending more than 2 consecutive seasons outwith the bottom tier of the Scottish League. As the League has expanded and split into more tiers Queen's have inevitably gravitated towards the new bottom tier. With the current developments in the Lowland League especially, Queen's are in very real danger of slipping into the regional tier.
The raids on our youth system and the end of the dedicated one club amateur (Tony Quinn and Richard Sinclair the last of the breed?) mean that it really is time to recognise reality. And as for those who rightly admire the efforts of an amateur club to compete in a professional league, strictly speaking we haven't been purely "amateur" since we started fielding professional players on loan.
I attended both discussion meetings but as I am not a member I will rightly be having no say in the actual decision making process. I hope that there will be more clarity available to members at the egm regarding financial implications and the future structure of the club, especially with regard to the youth system.

Best post on this debate by a country mile. Well played sir!

23 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

Anyone who watched that today and thinks we'll survive as an amateur club really is Walter Mitty! We desperately need a striker that can score goals at this level. They cost money and don't do it for nothing!

Worth noting that Penicuik and Broxburn comfortably saw off league opposition today. If we don't react to the world changing around us, we're not going to have a club to speak of in twenty years. 

MR is ruining a good bunch of players , who at the start of the season looked good against Hamilton, thistle! It’s change change all the time , no other ideas on how to change thing’s ,  needs to be much better, big 2 weeks coming up for club, on and off park, big decisions, need to be correct for he future, 

We have to have aspirations; listening to the current President, it's obvious he has. Let's be honest though, fans in this football mad city are mad about the Old Firm and watching Sky sports in the pub on a Saturday afternoon. Too many of them are kid on fans. Thistle could rustle up 2000 regulars in the Premier. I'd like to see us aim for 1500; a tall order and we'd need to find something to make us different. And, no, I don't know what that might be.

More engagement with the local community would be a good start. I go to watch Queens Park 4/5 times a season, I’m a well wisher more than a fan. We’re 4 streets from Hampden (second avenue), in the 6 years we’ve been in this house there’s only one instance that we’ve been made aware that Queens Park are playing at Hampden, we got a card through the door prior to the Clyde game one Christmas/new year to make us aware Queens Park were returning to Hampden after the commonwealth games. Surely something as simple as letterbox drops in the local area could get extra bums on seats? During the winter break for the premier league maybe push the fact that there’s still SPFL football happening in Glasgow?

More engagement with the local community would be a good start. I go to watch Queens Park 4/5 times a season, I’m a well wisher more than a fan. We’re 4 streets from Hampden (second avenue), in the 6 years we’ve been in this house there’s only one instance that we’ve been made aware that Queens Park are playing at Hampden, we got a card through the door prior to the Clyde game one Christmas/new year to make us aware Queens Park were returning to Hampden after the commonwealth games. Surely something as simple as letterbox drops in the local area could get extra bums on seats? During the winter break for the premier league maybe push the fact that there’s still SPFL football happening in Glasgow?

A welcome post. Out of interest, on the days you visit what is that brings you out?

MR is ruining a good bunch of players , who at the start of the season looked good against Hamilton, thistle! It’s change change all the time , no other ideas on how to change thing’s ,  needs to be much better, big 2 weeks coming up for club, on and off park, big decisions, need to be correct for he future, 

Some good observations there. What’s your thoughts on how it could be improved?

Next 3 games are crucial. If we don't collect 6 out of 9 available points i think its time to look at the Head Coach position before its too late.

When you say “look” are you thinking of swapping Roberts for another person? If so do you see that coming from within the club or a completely new candidate?

Or were you perhaps suggesting the the job description of Head Coach should be rewritten?

17 hours ago, houstonspider said:

Next 3 games are crucial. If we don't collect 6 out of 9 available points i think its time to look at the Head Coach position before its too late.

I disagree. Not the time to panic yet.

Let's get 14 November over with first. If we decide to go professional then we have the opportunity to strengthen the squad in January. To all those wondering where the money is coming from then I suggest you look at the Club's accounts. We are currently a cash rich Club and being relegated to the Lowland League with hundreds of thousands of pounds spare in the bank would be negligent in my view!

29 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

I disagree. Not the time to panic yet.

Let's get 14 November over with first. If we decide to go professional then we have the opportunity to strengthen the squad in January. To all those wondering where the money is coming from then I suggest you look at the Club's accounts. We are currently a cash rich Club and being relegated to the Lowland League with hundreds of thousands of pounds spare in the bank would be negligent in my view!

I was of the same opinion until a couple of weeks ago, possibly in denial. When you look at the body of league results under Roberts, it really does make pretty grim reading. Does anyone have faith in us putting together a run of results? 

I'm not sure the players know what they're meant to be doing and there's nobody on or off the pitch vocally demanding that we maintain a certain standard. The heads go down far too easily. 

I suspect Roberts will continue for now, but the committee should be putting contingency plans in place. Even right now, I wouldn't be against Reilly and Quinno taking the team until the decision is made on status. They might just spark a reaction out of the players over a short period. How long do we give it? Do we wait until we're actually bottom? 

Beyond that, the job is not an unattractive one if we change status. Someone along the lines of Stevie Aitken, who did a fine job at Stranraer before having Dumbarton punch well above their weight for a couple of seasons could be a good fit. If we remain amateur, it ultimately doesn't matter who we appoint. Even a successful appointment would just be delaying the inevitable. We'll have admitted to ourselves that we see ourselves as a Lowland League club. 

10 minutes ago, an86 said:

If we remain amateur, it ultimately doesn't matter who we appoint. Even a successful appointment would just be delaying the inevitable. We'll have admitted to ourselves that we see ourselves as a Lowland League club.

I've absolutely no idea whether the forthcoming vote will be in favour of turning professional or not, but if it fails I would like to hope that running up the white flag as you propose is not an attitude that those who either run our club or play for it will adopt.

It's one thing advocating that the proposed change would be for the better, but abandoning ship if things don't go that way is hardly going to improve the situation.

Just now, The Spider said:

I've absolutely no idea whether the forthcoming vote will be in favour of turning professional or not, but if it fails I would like to hope that running up the white flag as you propose is not an attitude that those who either run our club or play for it will adopt.

It's one thing advocating that the proposed change would be for the better, but abandoning ship if things don't go that way is hardly going to improve the situation.

If Queen's Park end up in the South of Scotland league, I'll still be there. I'm merely dealing in cold, hard reality. 

one would imagine that if the vote goes against pro, the president and some of the committee would be honour bound to stand down. Are there other people willing to step up to the plate. Not many on this forum.