Queen's Park 2019/20

29 minutes ago, an86 said:

The people responsible are the people with the votes. Opportunities to attend meetings have been plentiful and committee members are visible and approachable at every home game, one in particular still selling 50-50 tickets most weeks at home games.

Gerry Crawley could not have been clearer, either at meetings or in the press about what remaining amateur will mean. There's nothing he or anyone else can do if grown adults expect to be spoon fed during the most important period in our history. 

That's a perfectly reasonable stance to take, but I would point out that there are a number of members, and probably Life ones at that who no longer pay a penny to remain members and who rarely attend games, let alone meetings, and yet they have exactly the same voting right as you or I who hardly miss a home game all season. Given the need for a 75% majority I would have thought you would believe that every vote should be fought for and would want nothing left to chance, but if you're satisfied that the Club needs do little more to sell the concept then for it's future I hope you're proved correct.

11 hours ago, an86 said:

The people responsible are the people with the votes. Opportunities to attend meetings have been plentiful and committee members are visible and approachable at every home game, one in particular still selling 50-50 tickets most weeks at home games.

Gerry Crawley could not have been clearer, either at meetings or in the press about what remaining amateur will mean. There's nothing he or anyone else can do if grown adults expect to be spoon fed during the most important period in our history. 

Dear me. Asking for details is asking to be spoon fed? If we are simply expected to accept Gerry's word then why have a vote at all? Maybe a bus with professional = life  amateur = death written on the side is enough detail for you.

Dear me. Asking for details is asking to be spoon fed? If we are simply expected to accept Gerry's word then why have a vote at all? Maybe a bus with professional = life  amateur = death written on the side is enough detail for you.

So you’d rather have Gerry‘s word in writing. Did you attend any of the meetings?

17 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

So you’d rather have Gerry‘s word in writing. Did you attend any of the meetings?

Indeed. A bizarre outburst. 

It's not "Gerry's word" either. He's just dealing in cold hard reality that anyone with a pair of eyes should be able to see. We're spending money on a youth system to provide other clubs with players for free, before thy have a chance to have an impact at first team level. Why? 

We also now have six or seven clubs breathing down our necks for a league position. As it stands, it's one wrong step and we're off the pier and into the sea with no life jacket. We can't do what Rovers did and bring six or seven players in to try and turn things around. Why would anyone not want to give ourselves the best possible chance of retrieving the situation if it came to the worst? 

I understand the emotional link to amateurism. I'd be against going pro if our world wasn't changing so rapidly. However, the question that people holding onto it must ask themselves is what is more important? The past or the future? 

Edited by an86

I believe the case for professionalism has been well made and most reasonable people get it.
The case for staying amateur hasn't. No one, I repeat, no one at any meeting made the case for staying amateur. 

What is the case for staying amateur, other than some romanticised bullshit?

If we stay amateur, we get a half built stadium and it will become increasingly difficult to stay in the league with a ever decreasing player pool.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

I believe the case for professionalism has been well made and most reasonable people get it.

The case for staying amateur hasn't. No one, I repeat, no one at any meeting made the case for staying amateur. 

In that case the 75% threshold will be easily exceeded thereby achieving the only possible outcome, so can't see the point in discussing it any further really.

Can’t think of many positives from yesterday. So here’s my negative nelly rant...

I don’t think Purdue is there yet. Couple of fancy flicks but overall quite ineffective. Galty seems to go through weird motions in a game. Didn’t look interested early on then started to shine later in the game. Not sure why Joffrey was benched. Our star man in my opinion. I know Joffrey plays a more central role but I’d still have him in there over Purdue. He’s silky, grafts, can float past players and strike the ball.
We took a sore one with Little going off. He was outstanding first half. Never easy when the defence is interrupted.

Harsh penalty followed by poor defending from Clark and a fumble from Willie. Not pretty scenes.

Not too hopeful for next week giving our record against Edi City last year.

Praise to Nicky, Block and Little first half.

I did say I’d be negative🤣

9 minutes ago, houstonspider said:
57 minutes ago, an86 said:
Deveronvale or Spartans away in the cup. Hoping for Deveronvale, but we should be winning either of these ties. 

I wouldn't bet on it. Especially if Roberts sends out a second XI like he did in the Challenge Cup.

No chance of that. This is a serious competition. Possibility that we could be the TV game, particularly if it's Spartans. Auchinleck don't have floodlights and the TV game will likely be Friday night.